PDA

View Full Version : JDC - Ladder Match Suggestion

Derby
Mar 24, 2001, 11:14 PM
Maybe this was suggested before -- I wouldn't know about that. What I do know is that I have a suggestion for a new JDC event: Ladder matches (Real tournaments.) Say you have eight players attending the tournament; there are four matches (which are known as the quarterfinals) to begin with. Each match that takes place is a one-on-one match in a secluded area. The winner, who roasts the other player, would advance to the next match (semifinals) and the loser would drop down to the losers' bracket, where the loser of each match will fight other losers. The semi-finals would then play with the four contestants in each bracket (The losers' bracket occupants can still participate if the tournament is double elimination.) The winners of the semi-finals in the winners' bracket would advance to the finals in the winners' bracket and compete against each other, and the winners in the losers' bracket would compete against the losers in the winners' bracket semi-finals. The winners of the finals in the winners' bracket would either win the tournament or advance to the final match where the winner of the losers' bracket final match would compete against the winner of the winners' bracket after competing with the loser of the final match in the winners' bracket. If the winner of the final bracket originated from the winners' bracket, the contestant wins the tournament. If the winner originated from the losers' bracket, the challenger must win another round to make up for the previous loss that put the contestant in the losers' bracket in the first place, to win.

This sounds pretty complicated from my unformatted paragraph, but I can always explain it to the JDC staff. It's actually a very simple concept. The only hard part is implementing the level correctly so everything flows smoothly, which shouldn't be too hard. I would like your opinion on this, though I doubt you read the whole thing. ;-P

The scoring system will be based on how far the contestants get before they get eliminated or win the tournament. Each contestant wins some points from the purse. You can consider that clients' connection speeds might determine the results a little. The main requirement is for the server to have a good connection, of course. I don't believe any tournament is complete without ladder match events.

I would also like opinions from other players who have read my suggestion. Thanks. :-P

Bobby aka Dizzy
Mar 25, 2001, 09:27 AM
Actually, we have tried to do this, but it always fails do to lack of interest it seems...

Hmm, I can't find the exact description anywhere, but it was basically a single elimination tournament like that. We never got enough people to sign up and this could not host it...

But, it might be worth another try...

stripe
Mar 25, 2001, 10:01 AM
Usually they don't work because they get held up by a couple people. Same with round-robins.

stripe

Derby
Mar 25, 2001, 10:23 AM
The few people that would ruin it were of my littlest concern because it could be solved with a few tweaks in the level design and concept. This could involve the use of trigger crates and the use of an overseer that checks on all the duels with an airboard and something else done to get to the crate triggering area. Also, each arena two players battle in may not be the same (i.e. One arena might have springs around it while another may have regenerating fast freeze. If I were to design a level suitable for this suggestion of security, this might just be a viable idea.

If you'd like, I could go into more detail; alternatively, you could ask me on ICQ: 84500771. I think, that besides the game type, JDC can have variety in the events themselves. Just hype the event like you always do. ;-P

Wild Angel
May 17, 2001, 12:23 AM
Sounds interesting.

GoldBones
May 17, 2001, 02:13 AM
Yeh. it does.

Assassin
May 17, 2001, 06:10 AM
BTW

When will JDC start?

GpWStiletto
May 17, 2001, 06:31 AM
In the summer i think

Syntax
May 17, 2001, 02:18 PM
Depends on when the new site layout is ready. I was planning for late June to start the event, but it might be a little later than that. But that's ok; Bobby has been working on the PHP for quite some time, and its coming along very nicely (it'll be worth it).

GpWStiletto
May 18, 2001, 12:16 AM
i wunna join JÐC

Assassin
May 18, 2001, 04:31 AM
Me too

Syntax
May 18, 2001, 02:05 PM
Hehe, anyone can join once the new site is up. I'll probably put an announcement here, so you can't miss it.

Wild Angel
May 19, 2001, 01:42 AM
YaY!

$tilettø
May 19, 2001, 01:55 AM
Well go off ya lazy But and go working on the site :P j/k