PDA

View Full Version : The Faw needs opinions.

Fawriel
Nov 26, 2003, 12:00 PM
Okay, you all know, or do not, doesn't matter, that I'm planning to make an rpg.

And there's no rpg without magic.

So... I've already worked out a complex system for magic, now all I still need is...

Symbols.

And that's where you come into play...

Check it out, yah! (http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-4/174562/ScanImage01.jpg)

I want you to tell me which of these symbols looks best, which fit their elements well.... all elements also have three characteristics, a good one, a neutral one and a bad one... (I've gotta work those over again, think I made some mistakes there )... see which fit the characteristics best.
Pleeeeaaaaase? =3;;
I've already asked friends, but... the opinions don't match one bit.

Coppertop
Nov 26, 2003, 12:14 PM
all elements also have four characteristics, a good one, a neutral one and a bad one...

That's three.

Uhm ... I like the second ones for fire, water, metal and earth, and the third one for air. Actually, the third one for earth.

Risp_old
Nov 26, 2003, 12:14 PM
You want us to tell you which symbol from the set fits each characteristic best for each element?

Fawriel
Nov 26, 2003, 12:17 PM
I want you to tell me which of the given symbols you like best.
How you judge them is left to you. =P

Coppertop
Nov 26, 2003, 12:17 PM
I already said.

Risp_old
Nov 26, 2003, 12:23 PM
I saw what you said after I posted, ct.

And now my opinions-
Fire- the third one
Water- While I don't really like any of them too much, I would have to go with the first choice
Metal- The second one
Earth- Err... the first
Air- Once again, the first. To me, the last choice looks like it should be a symbol for water.

Fawriel
Nov 26, 2003, 12:25 PM
Uh-huh.... what don't you like about the water symbols?

Risp_old
Nov 26, 2003, 12:43 PM
I don't really know. I don't really like the circles. Its hard to explain.

Xion
Nov 26, 2003, 12:44 PM
The water symbols look like they should be for light. Have you thought about <s>stealing</s> Borrowing Wizards of the Coast's "Blue Mana Symbol" before?

Captain Spam
Nov 26, 2003, 02:56 PM
Hokay...

Fire: Fourth one. The second one looks like Black Spy from the old Spy vs Spy comics. :-)
Water: I think the problem with them is they mainly look like they'd be better suited for electricity, not water. However, given the choice, the fourth one.
Metal: Second one.
Earth: That "Do I have a choice" one looks good. :-) Nah, the rightmost one.
Air: I kinda like the second one, really.

Strato
Nov 26, 2003, 03:42 PM
Fire : 4th
Water : 2nd
Metal : They all look bad
Earth : ^^
Air : 4th

Radium
Nov 26, 2003, 06:06 PM
Hmm... fire... I like the idea, they have a sort of "tribal" look to them. The first one would be the best if it had straighter lines. Straight lines and angles can give an impression of power if used right. When you revise them, I'd color it red-orange and go for a very tribal look.
The second water one is best. It's like a drop reflecting light. Maybe you should make a new one in an attempt for it to appear like a reflection.
The metal ones look to random. It gives a sort of chaotic feel while metal is more of an orderly, easy to control thing. Try making a symbol with lots of pointy parts and perfect symetry(sp?).
I don't like the earth ones. Period. They'd make excellent wheels, but bad symbols. A symbol of earth should be sturdy looking, but nonsymetrical(sp?) and rough.
Finally, the air symbols also look to random. Only the third one actualy represents air. What about a nice universal symbol - like a tornado?

There, my uber-helpful suggestions. Though personally I believe the four/five/six element system is far too overused in magic. People try to think up opposing types of element, and it differs in every game so it's quite confusing. New World Computing devised an original system with Nature, Order, Chaos, Life, and Death to name one. Or why not make a magic system without spells, but instead different kinds of magic "powers" that can go towards healing, hurting, or other things. So much can be done with magic systems, yet they are so often overlooked. Hey, magic's not real, you can decide how it works.

Risp_old
Nov 26, 2003, 06:25 PM
Yeah, for one I would like to see a system where the spells are categorized by how they are cast. Like, spells casted via verbal incantations take longer to cast but do more damage, ones casted via dramatic hand gestures take less mana, ones casted by simply focusing on casting the spell (like, psuedopsycic magic or something) are quicker to cast, ect...

Radium
Nov 26, 2003, 06:26 PM
dramatic hand gestures
For some reason, I think this line sounds funny.

Coppertop
Nov 27, 2003, 06:59 AM
symmetry*

Radium
Nov 27, 2003, 07:31 AM
Using Faw's picture and my criticism, I've come up with my own suggestion (http://www.foxmage.com/Elements.gif). Plz make fun of.

Risp_old
Nov 27, 2003, 07:49 AM
Now crits for Rad's symbols-
Fire- the center flame thing looks cheesy, but the symbol is otherwise fine.
Water- I can imagine this being a symbol for water. Still, I would like something more flowing.
Metal- the center is too organic looking; everything should be done using straight lines.
Earth- ...
Wind- wind was suppost to represent 'feedom, change, naivity'.

Radium
Nov 27, 2003, 07:55 AM
Now crits for Rad's symbols-
Fire- the center flame thing looks cheesy, but the symbol is otherwise fine.
Water- I can imagine this being a symbol for water. Still, I would like something more flowing.
Metal- the center is too organic looking; everything should be done using straight lines.
Earth- ...
Wind- wind was suppost to represent 'feedom, change, naivity'.
Fire- It was pretty much the same as Faw's.
Water- Too flowing and it looks like electricity.
Metal- All the lines are straight, you just can't tell because it was shrunk down =P. Actually, I agree.
Earth- ...
Wind- An American flag might do better for those. The last two, anyway.

Strato
Nov 27, 2003, 08:26 AM
Fire - Good enough
Water - I expect somthing a bit more interesting then 3 circles.
Metal - It looks like a satellite
Earth - ... sums it all up but an emote would work better. Unfortunantly I can't think of it. Somewhere between u.u and o.O;
Wind - Cool.

Fawriel
Nov 27, 2003, 08:45 AM
Don't worry, Rad, there is a LOT more of magic to come... come to think of it, I'm wondering why I'm replying now without upoading the next order of symbols. Daw. Xb

About your symbols, first one is the same as mine, second one.. well, it's kinda simple, no?
The third one is kind of nice, I must say...
But EARTH... dude, I mean the ELEMENT, not the planet. Plus, these symbols have SYMBOLICAL sense, hence the "symbol-". =P
Same for the last one.
About your critiques, I actually find that the last wind symbol represents wind pretty much... it looks like a man transforming into wind, don't you think?

Radium
Nov 27, 2003, 09:14 AM
second one.. well, it's kinda simple, no?
Simple? It took a whole four clicks to make! I just think of water as a simple thing. It's abundant and easy to control but you can't make anything out of it.
But EARTH... dude, I mean the ELEMENT, not the planet. Plus, these symbols have SYMBOLICAL sense, hence the "symbol-". =PWell, the planet IS made out of the element. As much as a flame is made out of fire, or a wave is made out of water. 'Course, maybe it's a bit complex...

Last wind symbol reminds me of the letter E.

Radium
Nov 27, 2003, 09:20 AM
What about mountains for earth?

Strato
Nov 27, 2003, 09:23 AM
Thats a great plan but a double post

Fawriel
Nov 27, 2003, 09:27 AM
U DISSIN WATAH?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! >(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((( (((((((((

Aaaanyways, here comes the next group...

The Elements of Life.

These form the circles of life: Birth, Life, Wisdom and Death, while Wisdom stretches over it all.
These don't have any real characteristics as they aren't contained in anything as the Elements of Origin are.

clik k? ;\ (http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-4/174562/LifeSymbols.gif)

You may notice that Birth and Life look like the moon and the sun... well, they do.
I think the Moon is a perfect symbol for Birth, as it appears like earth's child, and, seeing light in the sense of enlightenment, it's reflecting the light of the sun..... you don't get it, right? And, well, a the moon always seems to be being reborn over and over.
I don't think I have to explain why the Sun is the symbol of life.
Learning is a directly connected part of life. Sounds clear to me. As for the symbols, I dunno what makes me think that the first one shows Wisdom, but the second kind of looks like.. a beacon, no?
As for death, duh. =P

The same procedure as every time, JCF.

Strato
Nov 27, 2003, 10:31 AM
Birth - 1
Life - 2
Wisdom - 1, 2 looks more like metal acutally. Or maybe a crashed spaceship.
Death - 2

Xion
Nov 27, 2003, 10:45 AM
Hey radium, switch the colors for AIR and WATER and you have a set for faw to <s>steal</s> use

KRSplat
Nov 27, 2003, 11:03 AM
#2 for wisdom looks like a person wearing a dress, not a beacon.

Fawriel
Nov 27, 2003, 11:08 AM
Baaah, I was hoping nobody'd notice that... 9_6

Radium
Nov 27, 2003, 03:04 PM
Hey radium, switch the colors for AIR and WATER and you have a set for faw to <s>steal</s> use
Considering water is greenish and air is invisible, the colors I used are superior.

New set looks okay, but doesn't make sense. People assume the moon and sun to be opposites, so it doesn't really work out. I understand where you can get the cross for death, but... a cross associated with <i>death magic</i> just doesn't work out. It's a good and evil conflicting thing. If I were you, I'd make more use of the sun and moon. Base it off a day; like make birth a sunrise, life a sun, and a moon for death (death and night are already associated). Wisdom needs to actually symbolize wisdom; a hand, eye, or eye on a hand are a few ones that are generally associated, but something original would be best as long as it makes sense.

MoonBlazE
Nov 28, 2003, 02:09 AM
The cartoon W.I.T.C.H. has the 5 most known (correct) element symbols: Life, water, fire, earth, and air. Here's a picture:

http://www.parnass.scram.de/neu_08_01/witch.jpg

These are also the ones used in The Fifth Element. (If you can't find them, they are in the periods in the title.)

Radium
Nov 28, 2003, 05:48 AM
the 5 most known (correct) element symbols
I hate to tell you, but there is no "correct" answer. It's known as creativity, originality, and copyright.

MoonBlazE
Nov 28, 2003, 06:45 AM
I hate to tell you, but there is no "correct" answer. It's known as creativity, originality, and copyright.Those are the given ones, Radium. Just like the radioactive symbol is to its element.

http://www.ab.lst.se/upload/bilder/omrades_bilder/raddning_och_sakerhet/radioaktiv_halv.jpg

While there may be no "correct anwser", they are asmuch offical as the radioactive symbol and could probably be found in a book.

Xion
Nov 28, 2003, 08:18 AM
Considering water is greenish and air is invisible, the colors I used are superior.

New set looks okay, but doesn't make sense. People assume the moon and sun to be opposites, so it doesn't really work out. I understand where you can get the cross for death, but... a cross associated with <i>death magic</i> just doesn't work out. It's a good and evil conflicting thing. If I were you, I'd make more use of the sun and moon. Base it off a day; like make birth a sunrise, life a sun, and a moon for death (death and night are already associated). Wisdom needs to actually symbolize wisdom; a hand, eye, or eye on a hand are a few ones that are generally associated, but something original would be best as long as it makes sense.
Radium, I am quite used to seeing wind-based magic colored GREEN and water-based attacks colored ROYAL BLUE.

Sorry, just my two cents.

Fawriel
Nov 28, 2003, 08:29 AM
Well, Rad, it depends on how you view it.
Just like an expressive picture can be interpreted as several different things...

Plus, just showing states of sun and moon is too simple. =P
About wisdom, I dunno. There is more to it than the eye can see, and the hand... get what I'm getting at?

Radium
Nov 28, 2003, 08:31 AM
There is more to it than the eye can see, and the hand... get what I'm getting at?
No. Actually, I have no idea. But as long as you know, that's what matters.

Fawriel
Nov 28, 2003, 08:36 AM
Rad... you know, that almost sounded like a compliment. Xb

Xion
Nov 28, 2003, 08:38 AM
Rad... you know, that almost sounded like a compliment. Xb
Nothing rad says is a compliment.

Fawriel
Nov 28, 2003, 09:11 AM
As I said, almost.

Fawriel
Dec 20, 2003, 11:52 AM
TOPIC REVIVAL LOL

Well, here goes the THIRD ORDER of magical elements:

The Elements of Soul.
These make up your personality (or rather your soul. )

Horray! (http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-4/174562/Soulelements.gif)

Also, there are a few new ideas for Water and Earth. I also planned to make a new Metal symbol, but I couldn't think of one...
Even though the Purity symbols may look awkward, some of those are quite some masterpieces, I'd say.

Xion
Dec 20, 2003, 01:24 PM
Okay, here we go.

I think WATER and PURITY should be switched...first off.

Top, WATER; Third one.
Second, FORCE; Middle.
Third, PSYCHE; First or Third.
Fourth, DREAM; <s>Left.</s> Right.
Fifth, PURITY; <s>Left.</s> Right.
Last, EARTH; 42.

Very well done.

[edit: Pah! I can't tell my left from my right!]

Fawriel
Dec 20, 2003, 01:31 PM
As for the Earth one, it should be compared to the old ones...
Thanks for the opinions.

Pageclaim. How wonderful.

Radium
Dec 20, 2003, 01:32 PM
Purity1: Good water symbol. Okay Purity symbol.
Purity2: Er... what is it?
Purity3: Very good, easy to identify. Perhaps a bit complex, though.
Purity4: Pretty much a simpler 3. A little harder to identify.
Force1: iH!
Force2: Simply great. Gives a good image of pressure or friction.
Force3: SUPERMAN!!
Psyche1: What's that nazi symbol called again?
Psyche2: A little Canadian looking.
Psyche3: Nice vortexy feeling.
Psyche4: The eye is a very good touch. I'd put the eye in the middle of 3's swirly stuff.
Dream1: Plantish. Too plantish.
Dream2: This one's quite good. Very dreamlike.
Dream3: I think with some work, this could be made into a really cool aircraft.
Water1-3: Cells reproducing.
Earth: Nothing to do with earth.

Fawriel
Dec 20, 2003, 01:36 PM
*grins*

Xion
Dec 20, 2003, 01:38 PM
Psyche1: What's that nazi symbol called again?Swastica.

Fawriel
Dec 20, 2003, 01:40 PM
Swastika is the original symbol, which was actually holy.
The Nazis abused it and turned it into the Running Wheel.

Xion
Dec 20, 2003, 02:33 PM
"'Ya know...the confederate flag is just a symbol for state's rights.' And a swastika is a tibetan good-luck-charm. Move on!" --Robin Williams

Risp_old
Dec 21, 2003, 03:06 PM
And now here is my comment-

Purity 1- <s>FINALLY! A WATER SYMBOL I REALLY LIKE!</s>
Purity 2- ...no
Purity 3- Mr. lizardhead!
Purity 4- a leaf with a drop of water on it. My favorite of them all.
Force 1- ...no
Force 2- I agree with Rad for this
Force 3- ...no
Psyche 1- vwoosh! looks like something for force
Psyche 2- the royal crest of psyche
Psyche 3- ...no
Psyche 4- maby you should make the center bigger, and more eye-like
Dream 1- marijuana element!
Dream 2- Mr. lizardhead returns!
Dream 3- my favorite. like a dove, or something
(Water) 1- ...no
(Water) 2- ...no
(Water) 3- holy boot!
(Earth) 1- quantum element!

Kaz
Dec 26, 2003, 03:50 PM
Can't see it.

I'd just use oblivion script ;p (the morrowind dwemer font).