PDA

View Full Version : Game Creation Utilities

Hare
Dec 12, 2003, 09:19 PM
Alrighty, this thread is basically just to tell some people about some game creation sources available, and stuff. So if anyone is interested in making a game, perhaps this may be of at least some help.

I was at the book store and picked up a new magazine called Game Maker.

It has a DVD with a whole load of junk, mainly MODS and add-ons to a couple games, but they have some nice utilities too. It also includes the full vesion of The Games Factory Pro, so just in case anyone was wanting that program, it comes with the magazine that only costs about 14 dollars (US). Well, yeah, I know, 14 dollars is a rediculous price for a magazine, but I dunno, I found it worthwhile.

Oh yeah, and if anyone is interested and looks it up, I'll have to let you know that the list of content written on the DVD is written in sections. There's a Trial Versions section, and then there is another section among the others called "Utilities". Now, there's some very nice apps listed in the utilities, and had me wondering if some of those apps were really supposed to be listed in a Trial Versions section. Well, yup, most of the utilites are trial programs, but some are full versions. There's one called the "Scrolling Game Development Kit" that is kind of nice. You can take your JJ2 tilesets and import them into it (the bitmaps, not the .j2t files). Well, you don't really need to buy the magazine for this one, as it is freeware.

http://gamedev.sourceforge.net/

It looks like it has potential, if someone was to take the time to give their game some good scripting, but anyone who is interested can decide for themselves.

Uhm, oh yeah, and if anyone wants a copy of the mag, I got mine at Barnes and Noble. It was at Borders, too.

Well as long as it is on the subject, I'll just make this a Game Creation Utilities topic. So if anyone has any utilities that they reccommend, they can post them here.

Risp_old
Dec 13, 2003, 04:17 AM
There's gamemaker, that thing Radium (and I) use. Its url is at- http://www.cs.uu.nl/people/markov/gmaker/, but that url seems to be down at the moment. It used to be freeware, but now you need to donate some money (but only to unlock more advanced features.)

Newspaz
Dec 13, 2003, 05:24 AM
I downloaded this once. Never really took the time to try it though.

Radium
Dec 13, 2003, 06:00 AM
I've never read the mag, but the GM program Risp's talking about is awesome. I used it to make all the RadFaw games, Deviant.exe, and R.E.G..

Monolith
Dec 13, 2003, 06:03 PM
C++ and DirectX ;D

Ok, I admit, those don't quite fall in the 'utilities' category.

Sun Fun Dude
Dec 13, 2003, 10:42 PM
Bah I wouldn't recomend The Games Factory Multimedia Fusion is a newer version and is much, much better. TGF is kinda... old.

Violet CLM
Dec 13, 2003, 11:31 PM
TGF is great for most game related things, but it does have a few limitations here and there, which MMF generally doesn't have. I upgraded to MMF a while ago, and haven't regretted it in the least (with the exception that the TGF graphics editor is strangely superior). If you're unsure about spending the money on MMF, try the demo. It lasts for 30 days, which should be enough to get used to the interface and learn about the neat things it can do.

Shiverz CC
Dec 14, 2003, 01:57 AM
I tried to use MMF once and I found it hard to use. So now I only use TGF because its so easy to make games with

Xeno
Dec 16, 2003, 09:59 AM
I play around in GameMaker a lot. Also, it is still freeware, the donations only add a few things that are not needed to complete a game.

The only problem with GameMaker is that it's peak FPS is shamelessly beaten by most other similar gamemakers (notably, Sphere).

Radium
Dec 16, 2003, 11:17 AM
The only problem with GameMaker is that it's peak FPS is shamelessly beaten by most other similar gamemakers (notably, Sphere).
The human eye only handles about 30 FPS. Bigger numbers are just to make you feel better.

Onag
Dec 16, 2003, 01:01 PM
C++ and DirectX ;D

While I agree with you for commercial games, I must say that these game creation utilities are wonderful for quickly making testbeds to try out your design theories. They save a lot of time and wasted code.

-Nag

Monolith
Dec 16, 2003, 01:35 PM
While I agree with you for commercial games, I must say that these game creation utilities are wonderful for quickly making testbeds to try out your design theories. They save a lot of time and wasted code.

Yea, I know what you mean. However, if you've already got code from something else, then it's not so bad copying that and ripping out what you don't want. And I actually use OpenGL rather than DirectX when putting together quick applications. Still more work than other utilities, but it's my natural working environment.

Darker
Dec 17, 2003, 11:06 AM
Get rm2k3, IT IS MUCH BETTER THEN GAMEMAKER AND IT IS FREEWARE.
timecircuits.net/downloads or something

Xeno
Dec 17, 2003, 02:48 PM
RM2K/RM2K3 is first and foremost, illegal to have unless you buy the actual software. Also, they are overly simplified for the newbie in mind. There is also the issue with slowdowns (it is so easy to slow down any computer with RM2K/RM2K3).
They also are only good at making basic RPGs.

Other, legal, freeware, on the other hand, can be used for many more types of games. They also are much more effective when it comes to memory and other things.

Radium
Dec 18, 2003, 02:45 AM
timecircuits.net/downloads or something
I could WRITE Rm2k in Game Maker. Vercoln's right.

acid
Dec 27, 2003, 08:21 PM

I think that if you think one game creation utility is "Better" than another, and that everyone should use it, then you should get a life.

Violet CLM
Dec 27, 2003, 08:59 PM
Are you saying it's a bad idea to think one program can do things that another program can't?
<strike>Oh, if only JJ2 could view web pages!</strike>

Radium
Dec 27, 2003, 09:09 PM
I think that if you think one game creation utility is "Better" than another, and that everyone should use it, then you should get a life.
Have you ever used RPGm2k3? Don't bother downloading it, just write it yourself in Game Maker. Or Notepad.

It's hard to make "epic" games in GM unless you're very good at reusing scripts. If you're new to game design and want to get started right away, THEN I'd suggest RPGm2k3. But it is in no way "better" than GM. It's like comparing a bike to a car. If you want to get started right away, use the bike. If you want something you can get far in, use the car.

Risp_old
Dec 28, 2003, 05:34 AM
And RPGm2k3 is pointless if you don't want to make a RPG. There are easier tools out there. And Rad, why are you using Gamemaker for a RPG? Wouldn't that be a lession in frustrating complexity? And wouldn't that take forever to load?

Radium
Dec 28, 2003, 05:58 AM
And Rad, why are you using Gamemaker for a RPG?
Why not?! No party size limit, feild-based combat, 16,000,000 color animations, 1600x1200 resolution, and basically anything else I want. I don't want to have my imagination limited by some Japanese guy's uncreativity.
Wouldn't that be a lession in frustrating complexity?
Better than no lesson at all.
And wouldn't that take forever to load?
Only if you load it all at once =P. There's a nice little button that says "load only on use" that I really should have used in the last RF game.

Risp_old
Dec 28, 2003, 07:17 AM
Why not?! No party size limit, feild-based combat, 16,000,000 color animations, 1600x1200 resolution, and basically anything else I want. I don't want to have my imagination limited by some Japanese guy's uncreativity.
Good enough point for me. I suppose you could try to do some Chrono Trigger-like battle system (which I would like to see done.)

Better than no lesson at all.
I suppose.

Only if you load it all at once =P. There's a nice little button that says "load only on use" that I really should have used in the last RF game.
What? In the newest version or something?

Radium
Dec 28, 2003, 07:49 AM
What? In the newest version or something?
I think it's been around since 4.x. It's a checkbox when managing sprites, backgrounds, or sounds.

Risp_old
Dec 28, 2003, 08:01 AM
Cool. I never noticed it.

Xeno
Dec 28, 2003, 08:12 AM
Radium, if you are using Gamemaker, make sure you have the latest version 5.2. Also, if you have questions, either post them on the gamemaker forum or post them on Gaming World's forum (www.gamingw.net/forums). I prefer the latter, been there longer myself. :p

Also, Sphere or Ika would be better for RPGs than Gamemaker. Sphere, for one thing, was made for RPGs in mind. Ika is just more powerful.

Radium
Dec 28, 2003, 08:44 AM
5.2? *downloads* Yay! Non-code-based particles and screenshots!

niek
Jan 1, 2004, 09:37 AM
I don't like Game maker :) .

Radium
Jan 1, 2004, 09:58 AM
I don't like Game maker :) .
Who can argue with that expert reasoning?

acid
Jan 1, 2004, 12:46 PM
5.2? *downloads* Yay! Non-code-based particles and screenshots!

Non-code based particles? *Downloads*

Xeno
Jan 1, 2004, 02:10 PM
Note: Particle engine applies only to those who register.

Note 2: Drag-and-Drop is crappy. Use code instead.