PDA

View Full Version : Go with the flow with a flow chart :D

Hare
Dec 28, 2003, 05:31 PM
Hiya, I just tried a new idea and I'd have to say it worked out quite well. :)

I call it a flow chart, but I'm not sure if thats really the word for this. I saw some animation instruction before that used lines as a referance to the flow of an object, so this is basically the same thing here. Funny, I didn't really see the use of such a thing when I first saw it, but it works quite nice.

http://purrhead.tripod.com/jazzerx/gowiththeflow/flowchart.html

Radium
Dec 28, 2003, 05:38 PM
Flowchart's really the wrong word. I'm not sure what the right one is, but it's not flowchart. The coloring's real nice, except the character's arms look kind of big and his legs are kind of short. And his tail is kind of... fox =P.

Fawriel
Dec 28, 2003, 05:45 PM
I have no idea what you're doing there, but the picture is pretty darn awesome. =D

Monolith
Dec 28, 2003, 06:04 PM
Hmm.. that's an interesting way to go about starting a drawing.

Hare
Dec 28, 2003, 08:59 PM
Seeing the use of contrast in this image, I think I'll work a bit more contrast into this character. Mainly in his gun. Just change some of the parts to black or white. *chuckles* I think it would work good for him, being a skunk and all.

Oh yeah, and here's the info on the image...

The fire in the background is supposed to look like an audio visulizer. So the flames are like, shaped like sound waves in an audio recording program.

This image was made 100% in GIMP. And all flame effects are just areas I painted, then went over them with the smudge tool. The white flame was a little more complicated, but still the same technique. And all 3 colors (red, orange, and yellow) of the background flame are on seperate layers. I used 20 layers. 4 of those layers were just to aid me in creating the image (construction and such). So in all, 16 layers are used in the final image. Finally, I did not create that image at a high resolution, so the character's outlines are a bit on the low quality side.

Approximate time taken: 3 hours, and man was I surprised with how well it turned out :) So now I've got a new standard to live up to. *chuckles*

PS. The words in the background are words that I considered action type words, or words I relate to adreneline moments :). The word that can't be read because of the white flame is "Execute", BTW.

Oh, and when creating this, I waited to finish the background before shading the character. I've had problems in the past because my shading wouldn't match the background's lighting all too well. I suppose this would be useful info for someone out there. :)