PDA

View Full Version : Ray of Light

Fawriel
Jan 1, 2004, 05:26 AM
Ray of Light (http://www.deviantart.com/view/4475892/)

A giant picture. And my best ever yet.

If you don't like it, don't reply.
I'm sentimental enough because of it, and my heart's hanging on this picture, so the last thing I want is crap about it. Really. >_>

I'll try this.. hey, perhaps it works. Who knows.

<i>By replying to this thread, you automatically agree not to posts any foul language, negative comments about any artwork or artists and to in general keep this thread a nice conversation.</i>

Thank you.

Risp_old
Jan 1, 2004, 06:41 AM
Wait, no negitive comments? Ok, then.
*Ahem*
OMG! I lUV IT! I t iS SO PRUTTY! YOU SHOD BE A PROFECCIONIL ARTIZT!

But really, it is pretty nice. The background is interesting.

BlazinDragon
Jan 1, 2004, 06:56 AM
Nice drawing fawriel. Its very sentimental and very romantic for the person to whom you are drawing it to. Its sad at the beggining yet, happier at the end. Very touching and nice.

And i dunno why i posted on this forum thread, cuz i never post here. Heh, this must be a really good picture to let me post here ^^

Radium
Jan 1, 2004, 08:09 AM
If you don't like it, don't reply.
I like it, I meet qualification one.
<i>By replying to this thread, you automatically agree not to posts any foul language, negative comments about any artwork or artists and to in general keep this thread a nice conversation.</i>
Well, I can't really flame or curse you out with Derby here, and a negative comment would be along the lines of "it sucks lol omb". So, I just met qualification two, three, and four. Dang, I hope you never work in airline security (American joke there).

Let me start in my standard format by complimenting your background. It swirls around the middle and it looks cool. Now, let's get to the characters. First off, I like their eyes. I like Faw's eyes more, because the lower lid of the girl's comes up to far, and along with her strange smile and lower lip it makes her expression appear a tad... evil. From the picture I get that the girl is reaching forward; hence her arm disappearing. However, her body appears stiff and motionless. Faw's is better, but not perfect either. There was a good tutorial on character gesture Noogy wrote available here (http://noogy.com/noogy/lessons/lesson3a.html) (pre-Derby warning: nudity near the bottom of the page in the anatomy tutorial). Her right hand is also very strange shaped. The main problem is regarding the length of the fingers. Allow me to link to another one of Noogy's tutorials here (http://noogy.com/noogy/lessons/lesson4a.html). Finally, you've gotten much better at drawing humanoid figures, but her proportions (primarily the length of her arms and legs) are slightly off. A very nice and straightforward reference for proportions is Polykarbon.com's female body tutorial (http://polykarbon.com/tutorials/body/stick2.htm). And for the clothes, both their clothing seems to cling too tightly in some places and too loosely in others. The folds appear to be randomly placed, instead of following a pattern. For a good reference on how cloth naturally falls, I'd go use HowToDrawManga.com's clothing tutorial (http://www.howtodrawmanga.com/tutorial/clothing1.html), or to learn how tight clothing wraps, return to Polykarbon (http://polykarbon.com/tutorials/clothes/clothes1.htm). As for the hair, it doesn't seem to be growing outwards correctly. The girl's hairline is too low to allow much eyebrow movement, and Faw's hair seems to stick out real far at the top and turn sharply down. Both their hair seems to "dead" or "heavy" for a picture like this. The basics of hair are also best explained at Poly (http://polykarbon.com/tutorials/hair/girl.htm), while moving hair is better described at HTDM (http://www.howtodrawmanga.com/tutorial/hair3.html). Finally, most people wouldn't notice this, but their ears are misplaced. They seem to be positioned at the middle-top of the head, while more realistically they should naturally "curve" off the back, and the inner side should extend forward <i>towards</i> the middle. I suck at explaining this, and nobody has written a good tutorial, so your best bet is just to examine other people's drawings or *gasp*, actual photographs of animals.

Okay, that's all I've got. For now. Happy 2004. Don't forget to post the picture at Noogy's. Cheerio.

Fawriel
Jan 1, 2004, 08:12 AM

....I'm still working on the process of believing that Radium just gave actual <i>good criticism</i>....

Radium
Jan 1, 2004, 08:16 AM
I always give good criticism. I just put lots of hyperlinks in this one.

Fawriel
Jan 1, 2004, 08:19 AM
You worded it a lot more nicely so it didn't cause me to want to break your neck.
AND it contains more hyperlinks.

Radium
Jan 1, 2004, 08:25 AM
Hyperlinks (http://www.hash.com/)make (http://www.jumpstart.com/)anything (http://www.google.com/)sound (http://www.whatismyipaddress.com/)intelligent (http://paypal.com/). (http://spiffyjuice.com)

Captain Spam
Jan 1, 2004, 10:47 AM
Are you two done yet?

Y'know, I like it. It's a rather neat sort of interaction with the characters and background you've got going on. Impressive indeed.

But seriously, 'tis bad form to <b>demand</b> no negative comments on a drawing. Sorry, it just is. I mean, how are you gonna improve if you don't know what's wrong that needs fixing?

Risp_old
Jan 1, 2004, 10:55 AM
Well, you could drop in positive sounding hints, like-
'Your artwork is almost as realistic as that of Picasso!'

Radium
Jan 1, 2004, 11:03 AM
@Risp: How helpful is that?

Risp_old
Jan 1, 2004, 11:08 AM
Well... it suggests that the person's work is very, very, unrealistic.

Captain Spam
Jan 1, 2004, 11:08 AM
Well, you could drop in positive sounding hints, like-
'Your artwork is almost as realistic as that of Picasso!'

Well, I don't mean to allow blatantly insultive comments, more of allowing real critiques of stuff.

Fawriel
Jan 1, 2004, 11:18 AM
Well, Spammy, this is a picture for the girl who sort-of-dumped me earlier today, so I'm not quite in the mood for anything negative. >_>

Radium
Jan 1, 2004, 02:43 PM
Well, Spammy, this is a picture for the girl who sort-of-dumped me earlier today, so I'm not quite in the mood for anything negative. >_>
You know, you might have better luck finding and keeping a girlfriend if you stopped trying. If you have a female friend you particularly like, try treating her like the REST of your friends. What was the last time you wrote love poetry to one of your other friends? If someone can't be your friend without special treatment, do you really think she'll ever work out as a girlfriend?

Fawriel
Jan 1, 2004, 02:46 PM
Why, I'm sure you're the right one to give me suggestions for that kind of thing.. >_>

Radium
Jan 1, 2004, 03:34 PM
If you have to criticize my logic, at least give good criticism. And of couse, good criticism means lots of random hyperlinks.

Radium
Jan 1, 2004, 04:11 PM
Ooh - wait! This is an ideal opportunity to post the DEVIANTCRITICISM(tm):

<i>"That is really beautiful, and the poses are perfect aswell, and I am going to fave this because of the emotion, and the effort. ^^'"</i>
<i>"this is SO purdyfull Faw!! ^0^ *faves it*"</i>
<i>"It sounds nice faw You can tell that you put a lot of heart in it."</i>
<i>"This is so so sweet. Awesome work on the faces.. I love them."</i>
<i>"Like I said before Faw Faw, the piccy and the poem both are beautiful. ^_^ You did an awesumnal job on the shading and the characters! Keep up the good work Faw Faw, you're improving so much each day!"</i>
<i>"Amazing. Way better than anything I could ever make. The gray adds a specific feel to it that's just.. awesome. *faves it* n_n"</i>

Now, as an emotionless upholder of intelligence and education, this depresses me. It makes me want to do something. Something... evil. It makes me want to join Deviant Art and give these worthless mortals a taste of real criticism. Real, cold, hard, undeniable criticism. And no hyperlinks to make it taste good. No faving. No deviantsmilies. No deviantfriends. No mercy for those who beg for pity. Hmm. So here I am faced with the decision: continue fighting in broad daylight, or join the enemy and destroy them from within. Both ways sound equally fun.

Fawriel
Jan 1, 2004, 04:16 PM
*rubs his nose*
Uh....................... who wants a hotdog?

Radium
Jan 1, 2004, 05:16 PM
Oops. Was I going evil again?

Risp_old
Jan 1, 2004, 06:30 PM
I thought touching DeviantArt would infect you, Rad.

EDIT- but if you start posting there I would visit DeviantArt more, just to see how people react.

Radium
Jan 1, 2004, 06:36 PM
You see, Deviantart's infection tactic focuses around human emotion... need I explain more?

Risp_old
Jan 1, 2004, 06:49 PM
Oh yes. I forgot about that.

Well, go ahead. It will be facinating to watch, like artillary fire hitting a farming community.

Coppertop
Jan 2, 2004, 07:33 AM

*hugs Faw*

Radium
Jan 2, 2004, 08:53 AM
You know, you don't have to be nice to <i>everyone</i> that begs for mercy. Some people really don't need or deserve it.

Fawriel
Jan 2, 2004, 09:16 AM
*hugs CT*
She sure is gonna fall in love with one friendly guy like you, Rad. Tsk.

And as for DA, HAVE you already thought about the fact that the ARTISTS there comment, not the SITE ITSELF?
Heck, you're so simple-minded it's making me laugh. XD

Radium
Jan 2, 2004, 09:50 AM
It's not that I "hate the sight", it's that I hate what they support. It's like how someone that hates books hates a library.

Fawriel
Jan 2, 2004, 09:56 AM
Actually, the site is full of guys like you who call themselves "artists", but leave the constructive criticism out FULLY when bashing an image.
It just appears that the furry-kind of artist are pretty sensitive, has to do with psyche and all that, yadda yadda.

Radium
Jan 2, 2004, 10:01 AM
I have yet to see any "bashing" on DeviantA.

Fawriel
Jan 2, 2004, 10:08 AM
As I said, most of my commenters are furries, who are normally nice and careful about criticism.
Go somewhere else and even you will find your master. (Why don't you check out the forums? =D )

Radium
Jan 2, 2004, 10:18 AM
I don't just look at <i>your</i> stuff, and I did check the forums. I still see no bashing.

Fawriel
Jan 2, 2004, 10:21 AM
Perhaps you see no bashing because you're evil? =P

Radium
Jan 2, 2004, 10:27 AM
"Evil people aren't blind, the good guys just see things" =P.

Find me what you'd consider "bashing".

Fawriel
Jan 2, 2004, 10:32 AM
Not in the mood.

Radium
Jan 2, 2004, 10:33 AM
Pfft, you're no fun. 'M gunna go draw something to post on Noogy's.

Strato
Jan 2, 2004, 11:31 AM
Hmm, here's something. Better than most other criticizes I've seen:

Wow. You're actually gonna pull this off. The quote's very cute and insightful. I didn't expect that, lol. *hides* I like the brushes. Look like water. Amazing composition. I like how you just 'suggest' things, not put them in. And then the clarity of the plane... Very nice.
Ha. THis took less than the heart-bearing samurai.

Fawriel
Jan 2, 2004, 11:47 AM
...eh?

Strato
Jan 2, 2004, 11:48 AM
What you want a link?

Fawriel
Jan 2, 2004, 11:50 AM
I just want to know where you got that from. Don't think I saw it yet..

Strato
Jan 2, 2004, 11:54 AM
http://comments.deviantart.com/1/4485992/26110403

and

http://www.deviantart.com/view/4485992/

Risp_old
Jan 2, 2004, 06:34 PM
Sad...

edit- Guess which page is mine? This one!

Hare
Jan 3, 2004, 12:45 AM
... wow. o.o

Man Faw, thats beautiful. You really put your heart into this, didn't you?

Fawriel
Jan 3, 2004, 12:01 PM
Aye, I did. ^^ Thanks.

And Infinite or Strato or whatever, what's the problem with that comment?
What was that guy supposed to have criticized? "OMG I DUN LIKE BLOO PIC SUX ;((((("?

Risp_old
Jan 3, 2004, 01:08 PM
The problem is that that comment does not say whatsoever how to improve or change or even if there is anything wrong. And it is so obtuse even if it did do some good critisism it would be hard to tell.

Fawriel
Jan 3, 2004, 01:25 PM
GOD!
That was ART!
There was NOTHING ONE COULD DARN IMPROVE!
There was a MEANING behind it! *stomps on something random*

Risp_old
Jan 3, 2004, 01:30 PM
... so every work of art is 'perfect'? There is no way an artist can get better? I have done drawing before and my drawings are better than they were, say, 3 years ago. But how can that be, if every artist is 'perfect'? Am I not an artist, then?

Fawriel
Jan 3, 2004, 01:35 PM
*grumble*
What was that guy supposed to have changed? The size of the bird's head?
The drawing was AbSTRACT. There was no anatomy, there was NOTHING there are guidelines for! You can't criticize something like that, you can only judge its effect.
The only thing you could perhaps change is the colors, but that is only if you understand the meaning, and if the colors HAVE a meaning.

Risp_old
Jan 3, 2004, 01:44 PM
Oh sorry. I thought you were talking about art in general.

Maby you should go into abstract art. It is easy to say- that isn't bad porportions, thats abstract art!

Fawriel
Jan 3, 2004, 01:53 PM
Are you implying that my characters' proportions are unrealistic? =P

Strato
Jan 3, 2004, 03:16 PM
There was nothing wrong with the comment. I was trying to make a point that not all DA comments are OMG I LURVE to Rad. Sorry for defending.

Fawriel
Jan 4, 2004, 09:18 AM
Alright then, sorry for the misunderstanding.

MoonBlazE
Jan 5, 2004, 06:35 AM
I couldn't agree more with CaptainSpam. Besides this board will not supply you with hearts as critism, we're grown, mature enough to say our opinion straight ahead. (Unlike the majority of the DeviantArt community) I specially felt that you was simply plain asking us for praise you by such a request, dude you're not 'special' because you can draw well. I wouldn't have bothered to reply if you didn't directly ask for no critism in such a manner.

Back to topic. There's a few flaws in the angel character. Her right hand's position looks really odd and could need some work. (Try visit Noogy's site for some hints) Her shading is really nice, with the exception of the hair who looks like holes. What's happending with their hands? Are they splatting out in the air or what? Well you didn't provide an explanation to it. By the way, I don't think that good pictures come of their size, but quality (IE; you spend most of your picture comment 'explaining' how large it was). Overall nicely job, keep it up.

Fawriel
Jan 5, 2004, 10:52 AM
I won't explain why the hands blur away unless somebody asks me. One could think such an intelligent community could do that much thinking for themselves. =P
And the larger the image is, the more details I can put in.. I'm not one of those guys who write your name on a grain of rice.

Radium
Jan 5, 2004, 11:36 AM
I won't explain why the hands blur away unless somebody asks me. One could think such an intelligent community could do that much thinking for themselves. =P
Well, Moonblaze <i>did</i> ask, actually.
And the larger the image is, the more details I can put in.. I'm not one of those guys who write your name on a grain of rice.
A agree. While size doesn't <i>determine</i> quality, it is an important factor. Essentially, if you draw something with a pencil and someone says "nice use of charcoal," you drew too small.

Fawriel
Jan 5, 2004, 11:37 AM
Well... yeah, he did.
But I don't want to explain. =P

MoonBlazE
Jan 5, 2004, 12:01 PM
I won't explain why the hands blur away unless somebody asks me. One could think such an intelligent community could do that much thinking for themselves. =PWhile it may be logical to you, because you drew the picture, I didn't see the motive that inspired you to the drawing. (Or the *picture in your head*) Thus such details may be very hard to understand, while realitive to you.

Fawriel
Jan 5, 2004, 12:07 PM
Fiiine...
I'll try to.
But please note that it's a very abstract drawing, so it may be hard to explain.
Well...
Those.. streams, or whatever you want to call them, are life-streams. As you can see, some end up around the dark part of the poem, and some end.
Fawriel is floating through his own streams of life, but tries to reach hers, which are seperated. But there is one stream that connects them, and when touching them, they kind of... flow into that stream.
Get it?

EDIT: And I said that I didn't want any criticism because Rad would always appear and SOMEHOW freak me out. And I really wasn't in the mood for that.

Radium
Jan 5, 2004, 12:35 PM
I think I understand the symbolism. I didn't notice it was a stream at first (looks a bit more like a tree, in my opinion), but now I think I get it.
EDIT: And I said that I didn't want any criticism because Rad would always appear and SOMEHOW freak me out. And I really wasn't in the mood for that.
Appear? That means I would have had to leave, and we know I never leave =P.

Define: "freak out"

Fawriel
Jan 5, 2004, 12:47 PM
freak out
v : lose one's nerve; "When he saw the accident, he freaked out" [syn: freak, gross out, lose control]

My own definition:
to freak Fawriel out
v: to say something that makes Fawriel wish one was near to him so he can smash his fist into one's face and afterwards break one's neck with his foot.

Radium
Jan 5, 2004, 12:51 PM
My own definition:
to freak Fawriel out
v: to say something that makes Fawriel wish one was near to him so he can smash his fist into one's face and afterwards break one's neck with his foot.
Captain Spam puts it better than you did:
http://dementiaofmagic.net/comics/DoM20030804.png

And I updated my custom title!