PDA

View Full Version : A new pic just to say I'm still alive :P

Hare
Jan 16, 2004, 12:43 PM
Hiya, I've been offline for quite some time and have not updated my web site much at all lately because of that (and the fact that I need FTP software and my password and user name to work on it). So anyways, here's an image I just made that I put on my MSN site:

http://groups.msn.com/purrhead/shawnsblackandwhite.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=268

I tried a few biblical images, and I thought that the look with the top of the head covered in some sort of bandanna type thing, with the hair going down the back was pretty, so I did a Toca dressed in a kind of biblical time clothing thingy. And I know I messed up the arms. No crit, please.

Enjoy and such. :)

-Hare/Alexius

Radium
Jan 16, 2004, 01:04 PM
No crit, please.
Don't make me pull the Faw speech on you.

Fawriel
Jan 16, 2004, 02:32 PM
Hello, Hare.

No crit? You mean regarding the arm or the whole picture?

Tik
Jan 16, 2004, 03:16 PM
You messed up on the arms.

MoonBlazE
Jan 16, 2004, 03:20 PM
The arms looks really messed.

Radium
Jan 16, 2004, 03:42 PM
The arms looks really messed.
Blaze, if you want to be mean, you can do better than that.

Hare
Jan 16, 2004, 05:06 PM
*cracks up* Adding "no crit" to an image here is just plain torture to you guys, huh?

Radium
Jan 16, 2004, 05:09 PM
Only me. Moonblaze just tries to be mean and Faw just tries to agree with whoever's winning. So, essentially, yes.

Furthermore: why no crit?

Fawriel
Jan 17, 2004, 09:26 AM
Actually, I simply asked because I had crits regarding the breasts. =P

Radium
Jan 17, 2004, 09:56 AM
And I had crits regarding the shoulders. =P

Hare
Jan 17, 2004, 12:07 PM
Oh, I just didn't want a critique, because I didn't really put much into that picture. I know its quite flawed already, and I'm not too interested in fixing it up. I know I can do better, I just didn't give it a good enough effort.

Yes, I know the arms are screwed up and again she is lacking breasts (I was too focused on drawing the clothing stuff and everything, so I didn't put much shape in there accidentally. That and I was trying to draw that jar, and that was in the way of my attention too). Also when drawing baggy shirts and such, I guess I loose the shape somewhere in there. But actually, the shoulders are something I would be interested in a critique about. So I wouldn't mind that.

I'm going to go back and draw again, and this time I'll try to get things right. Put the effort into it that I know my art deserves. I know I have the understanding of these forms, I just have to dig it up.

Radium
Jan 17, 2004, 12:24 PM
I just think the shoulders slope a little too much. That's almost a 90<sup>o</sup> angle at her neck. And working out the figure before drawing on the clothing and folds helps a lot.

Strato
Jan 17, 2004, 08:44 PM
In a sense of proportions, shoulders are about her face length down. from her jaw, which is massive. Sry. Though if you really don't mind crit then unless my eyes are deceiving me, her left ear seems just a tiny bit too short. Sry for the perfectionism D=

But the biggest mistake of all is...YOUR HAND WRITING IS TOO NICE!

Radium
Jan 18, 2004, 06:20 AM
But the biggest mistake of all is...YOUR HAND WRITING IS TOO NICE!
http://www.foxmage.com/Byhand.gif

Risp_old
Jan 18, 2004, 06:24 AM
http://www.foxmage.com/Byhand.gif
Wow! You have better handwriting then me!

Hare
Jan 18, 2004, 03:16 PM
Wow, how long have you had a tablet, Rad? :)

And thanks for the comments and critiques. I don't mind taking them now. I was just a bit dissapointed with my underwhelming preformance. I've got some images now that make up for it though. I put my full effort into them, but you'll have to wait until I get home where I have scanner access. :)

I even dove into the area of ... er... anatomy, which some of you know I'm not comfortable with.

O.o;

I've got issues, nakid stuff freaks me out. *chuckles*, but I've got to look beyond what others and myself have convinced me nude stuff is. Nude stuff isnt' something I'd just let anyone see though. Some people out there would be all getting off on it and/or think it is ****o, and that'd **** me off >.<. *sigh* but I'm guilty of this garbage myself. Bah. Society is full of neanderthals. *chuckles*

Anyways, I'm drilling myself, pushing my skills to the next level. I feel it is an injustice that I haven't preformed to the best of my ability. I should have been better than this by now. I've just been too unorganized, but that has to stop. I can't be so lazy anymore.

Radium
Jan 18, 2004, 03:36 PM
Wow, how long have you had a tablet, Rad? :)
http://www.foxmage.com/lastsummer.gif
I've got issues, nakid stuff freaks me out. *chuckles*, but I've got to look beyond what others and myself have convinced me nude stuff is. Nude stuff isnt' something I'd just let anyone see though. Some people out there would be all getting off on it and/or think it is ****o, and that'd **** me off >.<. *sigh* but I'm guilty of this garbage myself. Bah. Society is full of neanderthals. *chuckles*
Nudity has been used by artists studying anatomy for centuries. Artistically, it's generally just... accepted. Heh, my dad used to do a lot with sculpting when he was younger. His first day taking a college art class, he walks into the classroom with a lump of clay, sees this naked girl posing on the desk, and drops the whole thing =P. His mom (my grandmother) used to actually knit swimsuits for his sculptures =P. So really, it's just best to get used to it.

Hare
Jan 19, 2004, 10:17 PM
Yeah. *chuckles*

The stuff I did was done with no visual referance. I'm going to scan it soon. I think I did quite well considering I didn't have any naked person to look at at the time :P. I don't really want to go out and look at books full of naked people, or check websites with such. Maybe just swimsuit things will do. I was watching TV tonight and saw a commercial with women in swimsuits and realized that even though my stuff looks good, there's much more to the intricacies of the body that I have little understanding of.

Getting this stuff right is important to me. I think it will help me to be able to understand my character's forms much better, so I won't make as much mistakes and get a standard body structure for each of my characters. Mainly I just draw two. There's Toca, and the as yet to be named skunk I made for Jazzer X. The skunk character is short and stalky, as I've decided the visual style should be with JX characters, so he's kind of got a standard set for his form. Toca on the other hand is like putty. She'll be short or tall and seems to change ages at the drop of a dime. *chuckles* Maybe it is just a subconcious thing. Maybe I'm just using her for a lot of different images where I want to draw different aged characters, but have no character that age to use... I don't even have a set age for any of them.... So unorganized. *chuckles* to make things even more disorganized, I need to find my user name and password for my web page. It wasn't in my email inbox, so I'll have to either ask again, or guess some likely answers.

I really want to learn this stuff because among other reasons, when I try my hand at animation, I want to do something beyond Scooby Doo quality. :P Its a classic, yes, but far from the standard.

Hare
Jan 20, 2004, 12:00 AM
Alrighty, pictures scanned :)

http://purrhead.thj.no/Sketch/anatomy_practice_1-17.jpg

http://purrhead.thj.no/Sketch/flow_practice.jpg

http://purrhead.thj.no/Sketch/jx-equipment.jpg

http://purrhead.thj.no/Sketch/allyourdesign.jpg

http://purrhead.thj.no/Sketch/toca-dbz_pose.jpg

Fawriel
Jan 20, 2004, 11:08 AM
LOVE!

Radium
Jan 20, 2004, 01:27 PM
Nice. Course, there are a few proportional errors.
Lemme try to explain how I generally do female proportions. I could explain with a picture, but a giant paragraph would be more fun. The torso (meaning from crotch to shoulders) is the height of three hips. The bottom hip is the actual hips and the top 1.5 hips are the ribcage (it's shaped like a shield). The middle .5 is squishy stuff where the character can bend. The breasts are generally positioned at about the middle of the ribcage. When animating or posing a character, it helps to draw the spine first. The spine goes from the back of the head down the back of the ribcage object, through the back of the hips, and comes out as the tail if there is one. The shoulders are "stuck" to the sides of the ribcage, and remain below it's top unless the character bends her arms upward, in which case they "curve" around the top of the ribcage (the arms don't actually bend up, the shoulders do). The legs go down about as far as the distance from the crotch to the top of the head, meaning the crotch is the halfway point in the character's height. Make sense?

Hare
Jan 20, 2004, 01:59 PM
*nods* Though I think Toca's legs would be a bit different.

I try to do that spine technique usually when drawing something other than a plain front or side view... But I'm not that good at it yet.

And thanks for the info, I see you noticed my torso troubles :P. I'll try it out and see how it works.

Batty Buddy
Jan 22, 2004, 12:21 PM
Que Passa!!!!

OH, Sorry- I thought I commented on this already... guess not.

Cool pictures, AND I'm learning stuff. Could life get any better?

(Dozens of beautiful women come up to Batty and group around him.)

I repeat- Could life get any better?

Coppertop
Jan 23, 2004, 01:13 PM
Virgin hairy ... hah, I like that. =D

Sun Fun Dude
Jan 25, 2004, 01:20 AM
Yeah cool pics Hare.