PDA

View Full Version : Early JX concept art...

Hare
Jan 27, 2004, 09:36 PM
I was just working on some early concept art for Jazzer X.

First off is an idea I've had for months now, about having some virtual pet like things that a character can equip. The idea is they can fetch items, and help track stuff, or maybe help in battles. "Get the rail gun, boy! Go get it! Good boy!" *chukcles*.

http://purrhead.thj.no/JazzerX/sketches/early_concepts/jx-pet_concepts_01.jpg

Next is my favorite of the bunch. It is a character I had over a year ago for a different game, "Ghost Blade". But the game never worked out. Having a class like this in the game would make it ... interesting. I'm not sure how it would work out. And the neopets part about that image is that I just incorperated some of the look of a cybunny into Eli's face. So it is more of a Jazzer X image with a neopets touch.

http://purrhead.thj.no/JazzerX/sketches/early_concepts/jx-rabbit_class-eli.jpg

And here's just another image of Toca. I was trying to figure out what kind of clothing she'd wear in the game, but I didn't like how it turned out. I wasn't very inspired.

http://purrhead.thj.no/JazzerX/sketches/early_concepts/jx-toca_concept_rough.jpg

Hare
Jan 28, 2004, 03:32 AM
Oh by the way, I'm going to root through my backup CD for the D'pixed english version. I want to finish that Toca's Fantasy tileset. I just want to make one awesome JJ2 tileset before I go on to 3D land, just for old time's sake. *cries a tear of nostalgia*

No, I'm not leaving the community, btw. Its just I'm going to be playing around with 3D worlds now, and I just think fondly of all the good times I had in 2D land. I remember back when I was a newbie playing JJ2, all those fun surprises I found each time I joined a server and saw all those unique and creative levels and tilesets, and the equally unique and creative people playing in them.

Risp_old
Jan 28, 2004, 04:46 AM
Hmm... "You got a frag! Good boy!"

Coppertop
Jan 28, 2004, 06:30 AM
Interesting idea with the pets.

Something (the only thing) I noticed is that in the second pic (the one of Eli), the way he's standing makes him look like he's going to fall over backwards.

Wishing you luck with the 3D :D

Radium
Jan 28, 2004, 07:37 AM
Looks nice. The style actually reminds me a bit of Claw. And agree with CT about the second pic, it might seem more balanced if he was holding the sword straight out (not to mention the way he's holding it now is a great way to lose a shoulder!)

Oh, and my favorite ones are the three on the right of the first image. Perhaps the cuteness could be a kind of natural defense =P ("can't... shoot... cute pet thing...").

Coppertop
Jan 28, 2004, 07:40 AM
You mean Captain Claw, right?

I don't think it has much to do with the sword (except for the shoulder thing, yeah). I think it's more the fact that his feet aren't really under him, they're more in front. It looks like he's leaning back too much.

Good job on the clothes, tho.

Radium
Jan 28, 2004, 07:57 AM
You mean Captain Claw, right?
I think the game was just called "Claw". That main character was Captain Claw and I think and Claw.com was already in use, so they got CaptainClaw.com.

What I meant about the sword is that it could balance him more if it was held out. Alternatively, he could just stand up straight, but how interesting is that?

Fawriel
Jan 28, 2004, 09:59 AM
*implodes*

Batty Buddy
Jan 28, 2004, 03:28 PM
Que Passa!!!!

LOVE the pets. Especially that one otter-like thing witht the wings.

I shall name him "Squishy" and he shall be mine. And he shall be my "Squishy".
(Gets bit)

OUCH!!! Bad "Squishy"!

Sun Fun Dude
Jan 28, 2004, 03:51 PM
Cool. I like the pets idea!

Xion
Jan 28, 2004, 04:30 PM
First off is an idea I've had for months now, about having some virtual pet like things that a character can equip. The idea is they can fetch items, and help track stuff, or maybe help in battles. "Get the rail gun, boy! Go get it! Good boy!" *chukcles*.
Well, this kinda sounds like a MAG. (I know I'm kinda late here, but this caught my eye.)

The MAG assists you at all times, collecting spare Photon to release for a powerful, devistating, or helpful Photon Blast. Also, dependant on what you feed it, could change it's look, abilities, and also shape your own abilities.

Now, This is coming from the legitimate side. There's people that have made uber MAGs that basically max out your stats...Can you imagine adding over 500 ATP with the highest requirement for ATP is 971? :D

Hare
Jan 28, 2004, 05:28 PM
Que Passa!!!!

LOVE the pets. Especially that one otter-like thing witht the wings.

I shall name him "Squishy" and he shall be mine. And he shall be my "Squishy".
(Gets bit)

OUCH!!! Bad "Squishy"!

Thats one of my favorite quotes from "Finding Nemo" :)

And Xion, whats a MAG? What game is that from? :)

And as for the pets, I realize I have to use some variation. Like that otter thing, I don't care for it a whole lot, as much as I like that spiffy fox/rabbit thing with the... stuff comming out of it's back ( the version in the lower right hand corner is a newer version than the one with the wings). So I've got to take into consideration that people like different things... That means I'm going to have to make lizard things o.O, and ... bugs... O.o... Even if I'd rather have a pet with fur, myself, preferably one with large ears bunny like ears.

Batty Buddy
Jan 28, 2004, 05:32 PM
Que Passa!!!!

Thats one of my favorite quotes from "Finding Nemo" :)

(Mine's "No, I DO like you, it's BECAUSE I like you that I don't want to be with you...")

Risp_old
Jan 28, 2004, 05:40 PM
And as for the pets, I realize I have to use some variation. Like that otter thing, I don't care for it a whole lot, as much as I like that spiffy fox/rabbit thing with the... stuff comming out of it's back ( the version in the lower right hand corner is a newer version than the one with the wings). So I've got to take into consideration that people like different things... That means I'm going to have to make lizard things o.O, and ... bugs... O.o... Even if I'd rather have a pet with fur, myself, preferably one with large ears bunny like ears.
What about birds?

Hare
Jan 28, 2004, 05:45 PM
Birds? Oh yeah. :) Those too. I should probably just get a bunch of people's favorite animals and toss 'em all in a mixing pot. *chuckles*

http://purrhead.thj.no/JazzerX/drawing_board_stuff/pet_concept_unnamed01.png

Here's something I made last night. I was in a rush so I didn't finish it.

Oh and there's another scene I like from Finding Nemo... "Viola! He is clean." Man that cracks me up :P... Simply mind numingly simple and absolute nonsense. o.O :lol:

Strato
Jan 28, 2004, 06:01 PM
*takes one of those otter wolf things home as a pet*

We can dream right?

Radium
Jan 29, 2004, 03:42 AM
So I've got to take into consideration that people like different things... That means I'm going to have to make lizard things o.O, and ... bugs... O.o... Even if I'd rather have a pet with fur, myself, preferably one with large ears bunny like ears.
PUT IN THE GIANT FOOT FROM COMMANDER KEEN. NOW HUMAN MORTAL.<bwahaha>

Hare
Jan 29, 2004, 05:47 AM
... now there's a suggestion that I had no idea anyone would request :P

Xion
Jan 29, 2004, 09:39 AM
And Xion, whats a MAG? What game is that from? :)Phantasy Star Online.

Master MAG gallery. (http://www.planetdreamcast.com/psoworld/sections.php?op=viewarticle&artid=1016)

Strato
Jan 29, 2004, 06:39 PM
and that's supposed to clear things up how?

Fawriel
Jan 30, 2004, 09:46 AM
Stick an army boot on its back.