View Single Post

JCF Member

Grytolle is a forum legendGrytolle is a forum legendGrytolle is a forum legend

Feb 13, 2006, 01:25 AM
Exclamation A few tips.

First, good game, good job and congratulations to NaO for winning – I, for one, sure didn’t expect it.

In order for this tournament to go more smoothly from now on – there are a few measures you can take. Most of them concerns security, but the one I want to address first is just about simplicity for the host. PC4PB2 is a good tool, but it lacks a function we could really use – the ability for the host to edit scores. I am sure Overlord wouldn’t mind putting this function into a new version, but until he does, you can use this (it works, but it’s ugly, atleast it works if your jazz2-executive is named “jazz2-exe”). It allows you to change CTF-scores as you please. Note that it might look weird for the clients, since their score won’t immediately be updated when you edit it, they will, however, see the correct score the next time a score is made, or if they rejoin. This could be useful if you for some reason crash, or need to rehost. I don’t really need to explain why it’s useful to have this ability, do I?

What you can do to prevent crashes.
  • Get an easy-to-remember IP-address and host unlisted. Sure, the players could remember a bunch of numbers, but it sure is easier to remember something like “grytolle.ath.cx”. The way to host unlisted is to host with the Local TCP/IP-alternative in jazz2 – this will not allow you to set a password though, and there isn’t much reason to, but if you for some reason do want to do that, any version of Project Controller 4 would do the trick. A good site do get an “easy IP” is DynDNS. Recommended.

• Use WPE to protect your server. If you do this, you can keep hosting listed, which as a matter of fact is easier for everyone. The old filter that Nimmy and Overlord has released does protect you from ASD-attacks, but it isn’t fool proof, due to certain lameness in its design. As there is “better” ways of crashing than with ASD, and I have been exposed to those numerous times, I made an, if not water-proof, atleast far more secure filter. What it does is blocking all packets that have anything to do with joining – obviously, this could be a problem since no one can join, but if you enable it once everyone are in server, it should be no problem. Make sure that you enable all three filters that have anything to do with joining (called 'no join', no 'join2' and 'no join3' or something like that). Before everyone have joined, you could still have use for the old filters that atleast protect you from ASD, so they are included in the filter-file too.

To get WPE, click here.
    To get information on how to use WPE, click here.
    To download the JJ2-filter I made, click here.
    If you hate me, or for some other reason would prefer the old filter, get it here. Recommended.

• You can use the JJ2 Network Blocker. Information here. Download it here. Not that good since there is no up to date list that blocks all crashers’ IPs. Not really recommended.

It would also be good if fixes of Jj2 that has been made got released soon, so the jj2-games can be more fair. *cough red brackets* Sorry for keeping to go on about that.

In order to catch crashers in the act, it's a good idea to record the packets with WPE. Only record "Receive", else your log will be way too big, and I haven't seen any other way of crashing than via packets sent over TCP. Make sure to save your logs with IPs shown.

It would also be preferred if one official hosted the pregame, and another one hosted the actual game-server, since the hackers could easily get the IP during pregame otherwise. This won't be a concern if you both host unlisted and use WPE though.

Last edited by Grytolle; Feb 13, 2006 at 01:53 AM.