Thread: JCS pet peeves
View Single Post

JCF Éminence Grise

Violet CLM has disabled reputation

Jul 12, 2003, 11:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Jazz 2 fan
-Enemies give you rapid fire. This is especially annoying when making massive single player episodes. Within a level or two, the player will have full fast fire, making most challenges involving enemies a little too easy. This is one of the biggest obstacles I've encountered in my current episode, Devan's Secret Weapon (still in the works). The only way I see around it is forcing the player to die.
I hate this one too. Fortunately, using a combination of CTF bases, sucker tubes, triggers (optional) and checkpoints, you can reset the fastfire to none at the start of every level.

Quote:
-that darned secret level error. You know, the one where you keep repeating the previous level? This one isn't only a JCS error, but in actual JJ2 going to Garg Lair will ensure you never get far. Course, you could type JJNXT every time it pops back up. Also annoying when trying to make split paths in big episodes. (I've heard using a bonus signpost works.)
It does.

Quote:
-spikes only hurt on the floor. Hey, even Diamondus features ceiling spikes. Only thing is... they don't hurt you. One of the oldest nuisances in the book.
Use the event "Bees" (not Bee, Bees). It's not perfect, but it's better then nothing.

Quote:
-rotating spike bolls can be shot down. One of my levels features a challenge with these things. Only thing is, by then the player is bound to have full fastfire. It'll be a piece of cake! Even without the fastfire problem, this is annoying.
They'll come back if you make them generate... this happens to set pretty much all the fields to the generating speed.

Quote:
-rolling rocks are difficult to work with, and are unpredictable. Guess and check is never fun.
Not to mention they get stuck in walls.

Quote:
-easy to run through obstacles. In single player levels, it is hard to create challenges if the player can simply run past all the enemies, such as bats and sparks, even when they are very near by.!
Swinging platforms generally make the player have to stop... or placing some destruct scenery in the way is ok, too, as it gives the enemies a chance to catch up.