View Single Post

JCF Member

EvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHART

Dec 19, 2006, 12:35 AM
I'm quoting this from the last thread to voice my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Link
I should mention this here, since we've talked about it a few times in #jj2. One possible place to stay in Vancouver is the University of British Columbia residences. I stayed at the Gage Towers with my family last summer, and it worked out quite well.

Basically it's a 6-bedroom suite, with a kitchen, common area, and extra-large bathroom. The University of British Columbia (UBC) is fairly close to downtown Vancouver (not quite walking distance, but a very short bus ride) and is quite a nice location. There's stuff to do at the university itself, as well.

Bedrooms:

Lounge area:

The cost isn't significantly less than a hotel (it would be about USD 40 per person per night with six people per suite), but everyone gets their own bedroom, and it has a kitchen so less money could potentially be spent on food if we made some meals ourselves.

This would be my preference if we decide to go with Vancouver. Trafton is looking at the option of renting an entire house for the duration of the meeting, so hopefully he'll post some of his findings here as well.

I seriously reccomend the option Link is suggesting. The cost would probably be less than it was previous years, for one. Also the UBC area has a lot of fun stuff to do. Even though it is a University, it's really a city in itself, just because it's so huge. Downtown isn't quite as nearby as Link made it seem but it's no more than 30 minutes away by bus.

Also, I live in Vancouver and know a lot of fun things/places in the city that might not be totally obvious or in a tourist guide. I don't know the UBC area very well myself, but when it comes to other parts of the city I've got a fair amount of knowledge. Once the date is set, I would not mind planning out activities or a list of things to do. It would take some of the work away from Trafton. I guarantee there'd be enough entertaining stuff to do. More than just supermarkets and shopping malls.

The "house" option Trafton is suggesting is fine too, but most of the suggestions aren't in as fun places as Vancouver (I'm biased, but remember most of these places are in smaller cities and some distance from the city itself), which would mean activities would center more around just staying in the house and not really going out as much. Which is fine I guess, but not my personal preference.

Downside to this: It would probably still be more expensive than Trafton's suggestion (though still less costly than previous trips). But I think the location makes up for it.