Thread: Webcomic help
View Single Post
Strato

JCF Member

Strato is doing well so far

Oct 11, 2006, 02:59 PM
In my opinion, creating a comic is about 51% artwork, 49% writing. If you focus too much on the artwork, it will be easier to entice new readers into the fan base. However, writing and story crafting are what drive the comic and keep whatever fan base you have.

Also, try to at the BARE minimum have 3-6 months of strips ready before you even start. That'll allow you to ease your way into the world of work and headaches that'll await you. Plus you'll have some buffer time in case you hit any early snags. Don't try to update regularly right away either. Practice setting deadlines and getting strips ready, but they're only pretend so it won't hurt.

Also, characters in webcomics stagnate, and I find that as a reader to be particularly boring. Although conventianally, comic characters stay very stable over the course of their long runs, you say you want to be experimental. Try finding ways to keep your characters dynamic. This'll in turn help your hump about "Cheeky (-) and bit players super adventure comic!", in relation to generic characters.

As you can tell, I know more about writing than I do about the art aspect of it. Talk to Rad for that, I guess. For help with art, I'll give you some ideas for experimentation. I've always found that speech bubbles impede the art. It can get really cluttered for large peices of dialogue. My suggestion is to think, and draw, out of the box. You can apply concepts of infinite canvas, if you're familiar with Scott McCloud. If not, just try and find ways to keep the dialogue easily acsessible, but out of the way. But this is up to you, of course. These are just things I once considered for myself.

Setting is very important. Real life settings, DON'T HAVE TO BE BORING. I'm sick of seeing all the interesting comics in Space or Mediaval times, and realistic scenarios are chocked full of gaming webcomics. Notice that the few comics that aren't gaming ones which do take place in real-life situations are sucsessful ones. El Goonish Shive, Zebra Girl, It's Walky are some examples which readily come to mind.

Basically, I can tell that you want your comic to stand out in every way, which is good. The more abstract, the more influential you'll be. And then you start getting the ladies, and then...well, you know.

Good luck have fun.