View Single Post

JCF Member

Treylina is a forum legendTreylina is a forum legendTreylina is a forum legend

Sep 2, 2015, 05:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja View Post
That being said, I think the game is terrible as a multiplayer/competitive game.
Sometimes I think that is secretly a popular opinion, just that those who do think so, don't say it.

I mean, why do so many have memories of playing SP, but not online? Many lose interest soon after playing online.

Online play would be actually good with better character and weapon balance, and removing the blink mechanic from CTF (the noblink command sucks and knockback would need to be removed/altered from some weapons), along some other team gamemodes.

The fact is, 98% pick Spaz and everyone flocks to the seeker pu and anyone who controls it, wins. Many weapons are highly niche, or pretty much useless (aka TNT and ice). Forget controlling ammo when you can just flock to the base/control point like dead flies on paper. When everyone tries the same strategy, it's not that fun anymore.

And somehow, I don't find the random factor of not knowing where anyone/most people are to be that much fun. It feels like I am out of control. I can't prepare to dodge the guy running way off my screen. I can only hope he's not there. I have to spam ammo in the hopes I hit someone. I am playing a 2D platformer roulette. Let's not forget everyones favourite - warp target camping.

So yes, I have a utopian vision where I can fix virtually all the problems with online JJ2...with mutators, probably. But I doubt that would bring players back. Some of that can be done already though. But people don't like change.

Jazz Jackrabbit group: https://discord.gg/vZm95tQ