Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » JCS & Scripting

LMAT 2011

JCF Member

Treylina is a forum legendTreylina is a forum legendTreylina is a forum legend

Jan 11, 2014, 02:50 PM
Snowfall tiles (for layer 1/2) feel pretty pointless when you can just use the ones in JCS, which also look and work better. Yeah, they don't work well in MP, though that's something to fix in the future.

So anyway, I did my attempt on the brown tiles. I only changed parts because I don't want to work into it so much just to end up not being used. There are 4 different colouring styles I attempted. The middle is a cross between Obi's attempt and SE's edit. The other 3 edits are just experiments. Also, when a colouring style has been decided, each inside will be varied, to make it look more organic. There will be additional variants for the sides and insides.

So go and vote for which style you like best. Including SE's edit, the original and Obi's attempt.

Also, vote whether you think I should stick with using the extra colours. I used 6 more colours on the bottom right, which makes it appear smoother, though not by a drastic amount.

Also, I'm not really satisfied with the ice tile I had made.

Jazz Jackrabbit group: https://discord.gg/vZm95tQ

JCF Member

Sean is a forum legendSean is a forum legend

Jan 11, 2014, 06:31 PM
Have to say I'm still preferring the old style over Obi's newer attempt, though I can't say for sure why.

JCF Member

Obi1mcd is OFF DA CHARTObi1mcd is OFF DA CHARTObi1mcd is OFF DA CHART

Jan 11, 2014, 07:14 PM
As a suggestion, perhaps we should go with coloured, softer outlines instead of going outline-free? It would make it significantly easier than having to redo all other tiles to match.

JCF Member

Jan 11, 2014, 08:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi1mcd View Post
As a suggestion, perhaps we should go with coloured, softer outlines instead of going outline-free? It would make it significantly easier than having to redo all other tiles to match.
I actually meant coloured outlines rather than none. I think SE misunderstood what I was trying to do.

JCF Member

Love & Thunder has disabled reputation

Jan 12, 2014, 12:42 AM
My favourite is the... Original? Whichever one is fully(?) shown in the top-right of that image you posted. It'd look nicer with clearer outlines, IMO, though.

Although, having said that, they all look nice.

JCF Member

Jan 12, 2014, 01:24 AM
Is there any more specific reason why you prefer the original?

JCF Member

Hare has disabled reputation

Jan 12, 2014, 03:09 AM
Oh, there's a snowfall event? I haven't used JCS in quite some time... Yeah, I do think I recall a nifty snow effect in the hell freezes over level. Ookie. Yeah, snowfall tiles would be rather redundant.

"Okay. I'm Understand" - burnout92

JCF Member

Jan 12, 2014, 10:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi1mcd View Post
Is there any more specific reason why you prefer the original?
IMO, the top-left one of the four in the image looks too flat. I prefer it to look deeper(Or thicker, I guess). Also, I prefer the shading style on the original.

JCF Member

DennisKainz is notorious for his worthless posts

Jan 14, 2014, 04:08 AM
The tileset is not really in the JJ2 style, but it still looks awesome! Looking forward to see it finished!
Toni_

JCF Member

Toni_ is doing well so far

Feb 15, 2015, 04:52 AM
Sorry for bringing back an old thread, but I wonder if we are going to keep working on this?

JCF Member

Feb 15, 2015, 09:22 AM
If you want to make more, I say go for it.

Banned

Calm Splat is doing well so far

Mar 4, 2015, 10:16 PM
I added the image Treylina posted to the image cooba posted. Obviously if there's clearly flaws in this combination please fix or just say it.

Of course anyone can still add to this tileset, I'm pretty sure there's still more space before it'll be too big for TSF-version JCS, according to J2O. If people think it's more-or-less done, masking would be in order.

Last edited by Calm Splat; Mar 4, 2015 at 10:32 PM. Reason: This Is Edit

JCF Member

Mar 5, 2015, 12:24 AM
LMAT 2015!

There wasn't any consensus reached on whether to use the ash colour scheme instead of snow, so I wouldn't include it as the baseline to work off of. It could work as an alternate palette, though obviously more temperature-based tiles like the icicles would be somewhat out of place.
Also, those tiles were more presented as a selection of alternatives to replace all the octagon tiles throughout the set, so again, not really appropriate to stick them at the end there.

In regards to anything at all happening with the set, I don't really think it stands well enough without more tiles. It's completely missing backgrounds, for a start, and the snow tiles could use more variety.

Still though, if it's ever going to be finished we just need more actual content in the set, rather than deliberating on what variation of specific tiles to use.

JCF Member

Mar 5, 2015, 06:32 AM
I agree; we need to stop arguing over variations.

Anyway, all this tileset really needs is some background/foreground stuff IMO.

JCF Member

Mar 5, 2015, 08:56 AM
Please, don't add something that was not meant to be added. It's nothing but clutter. It was meant to be a change, not an addition. A lot of those are duplicates.

My intentions are to change the blocks to the bottom right "middle" block style. It's the best of both worlds and looks smoother.

I acknowledge it needs a background. How about a volcanic mountain?

However, I had lost my motivation long ago when I made a huge edit to colouring the outlines, then forgot to save.

JCF Member

Mar 5, 2015, 02:20 PM
For the ash one, a volcano sounds good.
For the snow one, how about a snow-capped mountain?

JCF Member

Feb 4, 2016, 10:17 AM
Decided to change some of the remaining ice stuff on the ash version of the set. The ropes don't have any ice on them, and the spike thing is now made of rock.

(EDIT: Also, for future convenience, here's the snow version of the set)

Last edited by Love & Thunder; Feb 4, 2016 at 03:16 PM.

JCF Member

Apr 26, 2016, 04:11 AM
18th anniversary or bust

Yes, this again.

So, all this really needs is a background. My thought is to do it like the Holiday Hare background in the snow version(Sky + mountains), but in the ash version, the mountains are volcanoes and the sky is red. Maybe have some paralax clouds that have an ash look to them in the ash version that could be used to imply a recent eruption?

If people only want to work on one version of the tileset(The ash version or the snow one), I'd be perfectly happy to port any changes over to the other with the necessary modifications. Let's just get this done.

JCF Member

Sean is a forum legendSean is a forum legend

Apr 26, 2016, 05:23 AM
hey honestly I give up already man

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

Apr 26, 2016, 05:28 AM
I'm pretty sure everyone will be okay with you just adding whatever background you like and releasing it, Robo4900.

JCF Member

Seren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to all

Apr 26, 2016, 12:56 PM
I will not be okay with it because I work on this all the time. Also no matter how many times you repeat that all this tileset is missing is a background, it won't become true.

I am an official JJ2+ programmer and this has been an official JJ2+ statement.

JCF Member

PurpleJazz is OFF DA CHARTPurpleJazz is OFF DA CHARTPurpleJazz is OFF DA CHART

Apr 26, 2016, 02:28 PM
As the set is, I feel like the bricks could do with more variety. Right now it doesn't really offer much to a JCSer in terms of eyecandy potential; the ground is rather homogeneously consisting of octagons and squares. With some more flexibility (think more diverse brick patterns, columns, archways, lintels etc), it will be fine. The theme we've chosen so far seems to suggest Roman architectural motifs, and it would be interesting to try and take this concept further.

JCF Member

Apr 27, 2016, 01:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Ementaler View Post
I will not be okay with it because I work on this all the time.
Okay, so how about I put my changes up here(Or PM them to you if you're the only one who cares) and I take your notes on it until you're satisfied?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Ementaler View Post
Also no matter how many times you repeat that all this tileset is missing is a background, it won't become true.
The thing about this(And what PurpleJazz is saying) is that I'm not a good artist. I can edit existing stuff to fit other things really well, but drawing from scratch is a real weakness of mine. I could probably add some cracks, recolours, or slight variations on existing tiles like PurpleJazz suggested, but unless someone else wants to do a couple of extra tiles, that's it. Hell, my plan of using the Holiday Hare background is pretty literal -- I was planning on just copypasting the generic clouds background(The one used in almost every official tileset) and having a recoloured version of the Holiday Hare mountain as an extra background layer thing(Although I'm not sure how I'd make this work for the ash version of the set).

The bottom line of this all is that I really like the theme and overall look of this tileset, and I basically just really want to see it finished. I can understand Ementaler's unease with me finishing the set(And if the situation was reversed, I'd probably be the same), but how else will it get finished?

JCF Member

Apr 27, 2016, 03:53 AM
How about a checklist of what needs to be done? I'd like to apply my foreground brown rock slab changes, I just got incredibly demotivated when I was recolouring the outlines, forgot to save it, then Sean preferred the version with black outlines...and felt like I wasted my time.

But screw it, I don't care what he thinks anymore. Though I still don't have much motivation.

Here are some other problems:
  • The "?" block does not fit with the style of the other destructable blocks.
  • There are two completely different signpost styles. We should stick with one. I prefer Obis with a few tweaks (I made them look shaded, as seen with the signpost ones, but not the EXIT ones. But I feel like I could do a better job of that now.).
  • When I added those cracks to the grey tiles, I think tiling didn't come into my mind.
  • Some other destructable blocks feel like they're missing.

JCF Member

Apr 27, 2016, 04:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treylina View Post
I'd like to apply my foreground brown rock slab changes, I just got incredibly demotivated when I was recolouring the outlines, forgot to save it, then Sean preferred the version with black outlines...and felt like I wasted my time.

But screw it, I don't care what he thinks anymore. Though I still don't have much motivation.
If you don't want to do it, I could do it instead. As I said earlier, I'm quite good at editing existing stuff. Especially for something as simple as pasting octagons over other octagons(You wanted them like the middle block of the bottom-right style, right?).

Quote:
Here are some other problems:The "?" block does not fit with the style of the other destructable blocks.
Probably not too hard to fix, right?
Quote:
There are two completely different signpost styles. We should stick with one. I prefer Obis with a few tweaks (I made them look shaded, as seen with the signpost ones, but not the EXIT ones. But I feel like I could do a better job of that now.).
Again, not too hard to fix -- I think I could probably do it.
Quote:
When I added those cracks to the grey tiles, I think tiling didn't come into my mind.
I should be able to fix this fairly easily.
Quote:
Some other destructable blocks feel like they're missing.
Perhaps some more deeply cracked blocks? Ones with holes in them? Cracked ones with holes in them? Or little exclamation marks on the octagons?

JCF Member

Narsist has disabled reputation

May 5, 2016, 07:04 PM
I guess no one starts a new LMAT anymore...

JCF Member

May 6, 2016, 07:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narsist View Post
I guess no one starts a new LMAT anymore...
At this point, my unfinished tilesets progress faster than this, (which is slow, mind you) so why would we want to start a new LMAT?

JCF Member

Narsist has disabled reputation

May 6, 2016, 07:23 AM
Quote:
At this point, my unfinished tilesets progress faster than this, (which is slow, mind you) so why would we want to start a new LMAT?
I was just looking about old LMAT topics, and maybe I'm amazed a little bit looking all the progresses.

You're right of course, a new LMAT topic would be slower than my old not-really-smartphone now