Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » JCS & Scripting

Boss Rush V

JCF Éminence Grise

Violet CLM has disabled reputation

Jun 15, 2016, 12:08 AM
Boss Rush V

technically I could just put this in the abandoned stuff thread, but it's hard to get replies there

Download

(All levels designed for 640x480)

Back in February 2015 I flirted with the idea of making a boss rush pack for JJ2, but with all-new takes on the various bosses instead of the same old fights in very basic arenas like every other boss rush. Today I noticed it'd been over a year since I touched any of these scripts, so I think it's safe to say the project got abandoned, so I might as well share its remnants here. Let's see...
  • BossrushV2 (Tuf Turtles): Playable and technically beatable, but I didn't find this very fun so I was planning on starting afresh. Stand in the center area to get a floating log of your own, or just steal theirs.
  • BossrushV3 (Robot): Chase down the robot boss across an infinitely wide level made of a series of randomly ordered set pieces. This one's pretty fun, not to mention essentially complete. (The end-of-level transition is a little bugged and you often end up falling to your death during it.) Press fire to use your special attack (yeah, why not?).
  • BossrushV4 (???): Probably the closest you'll ever see to a JJ1 bonus level in JJ2. The effect generally works fine (although I didn't get around to drawing sprites in proper z-order), but I didn't do any work on an actual boss (not that Colon has one), so this is squarely in the tech demo phase. Press fire to launch forwards in a ball (and watch the camera take a moment to follow you, which is neat).
  • BossrushV6 (Uterus): The second-most complete after Robot, and fully beatable as-is, but I meant to add a second stage (which is why the palette changes when you otherwise appear to win). Like with the Colonius level, the basic player physics get mapped on to a new collision space--this one circular--and the boss has some shmupy characteristics.
  • BossrushV9 (Bolly): Nothing but early concept phase here, an actual (horizontal) shmup on airboard. The weird purple glow around you was a candidate for a shield effect, so it shouldn't be active at the start of the level, but I wanted to try it out. Pretty but no gameplay.
  • BossrushV10 (Bilsy, in theory): Another tech demo (with no actual boss code included), this one in a sort of Mario Galaxy/Sonic Lost World vein. Run at the sloped corner on the left to mess around with gravity. There's actually a fair bit that was coded in the script but didn't show up in the current test layout--poles, sucker tubes, the other two angles--so it goes. I also considered turning this into a multiplayer level (IIRC drawing names and non-local players is supported) but there was some weird bug at higher level sizes that I never tracked down.
Let's see what I can remember from the stuff I never started coding at all... half the other levels had plans, though only fairly hazy ones. I wanted the Queen battle to be fought across a series of falling platforms, with no genuine stable masked tiles to be found. (Originally I wanted that for SWAG, but the engine resisted my best efforts.) Psych would pit you against Tweedle, but the gameplay style would be like one of those old arcade beat-em-up games, like the ninja turtle games or that one bucky game. Psych's ground is just 3D enough to work for that if you stack the tiles a bit I think. Diamondus (witch), Tubelectric (rocket turtle), and Inferno (Bubba) I never solidified plans for, and then I thought it'd be cool to have Devan as like a second boss rush all on his own that went through each of the previous gameplay styles but more quickly and with some new twists. But none of that ever happened.

Anyway, I'm not saying steal this code wholesale--none of it's well-documented--but I do post these as a reminder that it's possible to create new gameplay styles. You just have to be creative (and ask for help if the code is beyond you).

JCF Member

Primpy is an asset to this forumPrimpy is an asset to this forum

Jun 15, 2016, 09:32 AM
In this same day, I was at school. We were free to do anything we want so I downloaded Jazz2+ on a PC and played it for a while. While I was downloading the plus files, I've seen this image again and decided to ask you about releasing the level when I get home.

I'm home and I see this. Thanks c:

"Floppy ears and a big butt?" - Slaz