Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » General Jazz Jackrabbit Talk

Organising a LRS server!

View Poll Results: What would you like to have in this server?
TLRS (Team last rabbit standing) 1 33.33%
XLRS (Extended last rabbit standing, getting scores for kills too) 1 33.33%
HLRS (one life only, health from kills, no carrots) with ground force 3 100.00%
XLRS mixed with HLRS 1 33.33%
TLRS mixed with HLRS 2 66.67%
Other LRS settings (explain in post please) 0 0%
No fancy settings. (5 lives with carrots) 1 33.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

JCF Member

Treylina is a forum legendTreylina is a forum legendTreylina is a forum legend

Nov 3, 2014, 04:10 PM
Post Organising a LRS server!

Now with clearly written rules!
1. Wallclimbing is not permitted. It's defeating the point of the game, makes it potentially impossible to be hit, and requires 2 players to work. If you wallclimb by accident, I'll forgive you, though make sure to put /wallclimb off next time.
First warning: Kill command + text warning.
Second Warning: Kicked off
Suspension: 1 week ban.
2. Don't ask players to join your server or ask others about CTF games. It's rude, especially considering this server isn't dedicated and an opportunity to try something different. I'll make an exception if you're the only other player in the server, however (Press F9 to see the player list).
First warning: Text warning.
Second warning: Kicked off.
Suspension: 1 week ban
3. Obviously you can't cheat.
Warning: Kicked off
Suspension: 1 week ban.
4. Red text is reserved for admin text warnings. If you end up using it;
First warning: Text warning
Second warning: kicked off
Suspension: 1 day ban
5. Don't go too far on insulting players. That is, excessive personal attacks. Yes, people get angry at games, but that doesn't justify it. Learn to chill.
First warning: Text warning
Second warning: Kicked off
Suspension: 1 day ban
6. Play or leave/spectate. This is especially enforced during HLRS and XLRS, which reward for killing. Kickidlers isn't always so reliable, since it doesn't know what self user input is, so I may kick manually.
First warning: Kicked off
Second warning: Kicked off again
Excessive idling in gamemodes that reward killing, may result in a 1 day ban.

Breaking the same rule after suspension will result in a permanent ban. Don't bother to walk around it, because I know when a player is intentionally greifing. Warnings are written in red text.

For those of you living in a hermit shell, HLRS is not an official custom gamemode, It's just a name for for certain settings put together for LRS.

Anyway, I miss LRS, and there hasn't been a good LRS server in ages, so I'm making one.

However, this won't be a dedicated server because I'm not spending money, keeping a computer on all night for something that people barely play, as the vast majority of dedicated servers are ghost towns.

Instead, I want to try and find a time where a couple players would be willing to join in, so it isn't virtually empty. I'll probably set up a skype group for it. PM me for my skype if you don't have it yet (I don't want spambots finding out).

My timezone is UTC+00:00 (United kingdom).

I feel like max 10 players is a good amount for LRS. Adding more would likely get too chaotic at the start, and using larger levels, can make the game drag on near the end for way too long.

If you're interested in joining, vote in the poll for what you'd like, and suggest some levels. The level/s should be playable with all characters, and not too campy, big or small.

No instagib or max health 7. This server will be plus only, no exceptions. I don't have the patience to deal with plusless players and it saves having to split the scripted levels.

Planned levellist so far:
ovc20 (Officials vs competitors #20)
olcbat06 (Moonlit Harbor)
olcbat09 (Eye of the storm)
TWRMC (Rural Mountains)
ezMaelstrom (Maelstrom)
olcsbasin (Starlit Basin)
eztundra (Trembling Tundra)
SEdec.j2l (Decimation)
olcbat10 (There's Mithril in Them hills!)
xlmcondemned (Condemned)
folbtl03 (Abandoned Area)
xlmascension (Ascension)
svalta (Sovun Valtakunta)
navbatf01 (Firebreather)
sc2attic2 (Action Attic V2) - smaller than the original
SC2ghcit (Grass Hill citadel)
sc2fstrike (First Strike)
SC2sfalls2 (Starlight Falls v2)
xlmpipe (Heated Pipelines)
ab12btl04 (4th Reich)
xlmvanilla (Vanilla Shores)
ezgloom (Gloom)
xlmvirtuosity (Virtuosity)
okuchichibu (Okuchichibu Sankai)
SC2gmatch (Intercity Grudge Match)
xlmpexitsand (Exit sandland)
plubtl01 (Causcasus)
olcrevelry (Rainforest Revelry)
olcpppeak (Peculiar Purple Peak)
ab12btl10 (Triton Armory)
ab12btl19 (Hornet Hive)
ab10btl06 (Sandsone Ruins)
bash3 (Green beret)
icunpsych (An Uninspired Psych Level)
ab16btl16 (Downloading...)
xlmiebtl01 (6 hour Energy drink)
SC2qval (Quick Death Valley)

The levellist is prior to have some levels replaced after playing (some of them I don't think will work out very well at all). You can suggest levels anytime.

I may look biased for Rag, though he simply happens to have the most quality battle levels with a good size for LRS. The levellist will be shuffled.

You can make some level/s for this server if you like. I have to approve of it first, though.

Jazz Jackrabbit group: https://discord.gg/vZm95tQ

Last edited by Treylina; Jan 8, 2015 at 01:32 PM. Reason: Replaced some levels, now with stated rules.

JCF Member

KRSplatinum is a forum legendKRSplatinum is a forum legend

Nov 3, 2014, 09:59 PM
Green beret is on the level list. I want to play in this event.

JCF Veteran

cooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of light

Nov 4, 2014, 03:09 AM
Having come up with HLRS I'm all for it, but what's it got to do with Ground Force?

also why do you hate my levels

JCF Member

Nov 4, 2014, 08:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooba View Post
Having come up with HLRS I'm all for it, but what's it got to do with Ground Force?

also why do you hate my levels
That's probably where I first played the settings, so I asscociated it with that (it's also where it works best). I had no idea who came up with it.

I did have poll options for HLRS without ground force but I felt it cluttered the poll. I forgot to remove "with ground force", though that doesn't mean I'm not considering it, I'll probably just ask players about it when my server happens.

Your levels are either too big for LRS, and as for Wilderness, I got concerned about people camping in the shield room. I suppose it could work in XLRS though, since you're encouraged to not be passive. Perhaps I'll have a separate/extended levellist for XLRS (if I get enough interest in it), since players sitting lazily around in safe areas is not a concern.

I admit the bottom left corner in that level bothers me though.

Last edited by Treylina; Nov 4, 2014 at 08:32 AM.
Ragnarok!

JCF Member

Ragnarok! is a forum legendRagnarok! is a forum legend

Nov 4, 2014, 09:02 AM
somewhat flattered
snzspeed

JCF Member

snzspeed is a forum legendsnzspeed is a forum legendsnzspeed is a forum legend

Nov 4, 2014, 09:26 AM
Quote:
019=navbatf02 (WTF?)
may I ask why this level?

JCF Member

Nov 4, 2014, 09:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by snzspeed View Post
may I ask why this level?
It might be okay for LRS.

But if it freaks players out to the point where they can't play, I'll probably remove it. I'd like to see what happens in practice, not just theory.

JCF Member

Nov 24, 2014, 12:02 PM
Ok, here's an update:

I finally managed to start up the server and play a couple of levels. Got an adequate amount of players. If it crashed for you in the middle of a game, don't worry, that won't happen anymore. I found out that normal LRS works better with 3 lives (not hearts), since it tends to take too long otherwise.

Also, navbatf02 will be removed. Not because players freaked out, but clients can accidently die by reaching a -1 pos of the level (the very top). I guess the pit was left from when the layout was unfinished. Also, it's difficult to chase players in this level, so it is a bit boring for LRS. But the bug is the main reason.

And there's a golden rule of this server, even though I don't think the CTF nobs will care anyway; Asking for CTF games is forbidden, because it's basically trying to steal players from my server. Tough luck if you can't find players anywhere else, it's played virtually all the time so you have many chances to play elsewhere, like Camel Duels. My server was made exactly to get away from overplayed gamemodes, and is not dedicated.

JCF Member

Jan 5, 2015, 11:35 AM
Double post, because this thread fell off the main page.

Anyway, some updates. I was putting off this for a while, because hosting the treasure entries were higher priority. Now that's done, I'll get back to LRS.

Some new levels have been added, and WTF has been replaced.

Also, fireball will now always be on, for more fun.

Normal LRS will now start with 3 lives instead of 5, because it tends to take too long otherwise.

EDIT: I replaced Tonight, Abandoned Area and Abandoned robotics factory. Tonight has a ridiculously cramped safe area that's too easy to camp in. Abandoned Area is just poorly designed in general with bad placements (especially the carrots and bouncer powerup), that ends up putting too much emphasis on controlling the top mid. And Abandoned Robotics Factory has an awful bug that causes you to get completely stuck inside the vine wall. TNT damage is now set to 2.

I'm becoming a bit more lenient on map choices as it doesn't hurt to try them out, and it's getting harder to find replacements and additions. The replacements are Rainforest Revelry, Intercity Grudge match and Official vs competitors #20 (iirc, they were used in JDC LRS events too so they should work).

Last edited by Treylina; Jan 8, 2015 at 12:35 PM. Reason: more changes