Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » General Jazz Jackrabbit Talk

Jazz2City

n0

JCF Member

n0 is a forum legendn0 is a forum legendn0 is a forum legend

Jun 25, 2002, 12:29 AM
Jazz2City

I know it has been dead for ages, but i went there today, and saw a hello world...

Is there a place where i can download some of the stuff that used to be @ J2C? (arcives or whatnot)

ThanX!
`N0
>>Møønßlãzé<<

JCF Member

>>Møønßlãzé<< is doing well so far

Jun 25, 2002, 01:19 AM
*straight his hand up*
I known, I known!
Jazz2online!

JCF Member

Newspaz has disabled reputation

Jun 25, 2002, 02:27 AM
I noticed it about two days ago. However, the place is still registered by Dethman. However, he put his new email addresse in the whois .

If you still need something of J2C you should try to ask Brian, he has the whole site backed up on CD-ROM.
$tilettø

JCF member

$tilettø has disabled reputation

Jun 25, 2002, 03:36 AM
and his email is?

or is that a secret
||Slim

JCF Member

||Slim has disabled reputation

Jun 25, 2002, 04:58 AM
Use that wayback machine thing. It had some levels that actually still worked (bblair i downloaded from there)

JCF Member

Ice M A N is doing well so far

Jun 25, 2002, 05:38 AM
Haha.. never saw the Hello World before.

Courtesy of Brian from some time ago: http://jazz2city.milesba.com/

Sometimes there are links to jazz2city.com/something .. just change them to jazz2city.milesba.com/something

However, if my memory serves me right, none of the sub-directories are there.. which includes a lot of the levels, but some older downloads are still there.

JCF Member

Jun 25, 2002, 07:59 AM
His new email addresse is in the whois, so you can go figure it out yourself
Another Jazz 2 fan

JCF Member

Another Jazz 2 fan has disabled reputation

Jun 25, 2002, 12:01 PM
Cool. I was able to download some really old stuff. Unfortunately, most of the downloads are missing. Can he put them up? (I lost my tileset collection... it was on the old computer that died and I never transferred it... I want the stuff from J2C, J2O has very little.)

Proud to be an old-timer! Rarely active, but Jazz Jackrabbit will always be in my heart.

Check out my War Tavern story, The Life of Jason Jackrabbit! [UPDATE - yeah, it died in 2002, but it was fun!]
Current Projects: Devan's Secret Weapon - yes, I still intend to release this some day. Got a lot of really great stuff done, it's going to be awesome!
Super Saiyan

JCF Member

Super Saiyan is doing well so far

Jun 25, 2002, 12:23 PM
Can please someone tell me why Jazz2City went down, and why Dethman left the community, did he for no reason or was he in a sec just gone?

I JUST DONT GET IT!!!! I discovered jazz2city exactly a month before it went down.

Banned

Razz is doing well so far

Jun 25, 2002, 12:25 PM
This brings up memory's

I made a level I would definetely get a 3 for it here but I got 2 out of 3 stars on J2C.....

JCF Member

Alister is doing well so far

Jun 25, 2002, 01:36 PM
Mmmmmm... Nostalgia.

Mmmmmm... Pride. I'll never forget "Totally awesome in every way"

JCF Éminence Grise

Violet CLM has disabled reputation

Jun 25, 2002, 02:37 PM
I want to be able to see the JMMB, but it says "A fox ate this page. Sorry, she was hungry." I think whoever did the whole Milesba bit didn't want any JMMB visits.

JCF Member

Jun 25, 2002, 02:42 PM
That happens for most of the pages, actually. Including a majority of the later downloads. (But really old D/ls still work... strange...)

Proud to be an old-timer! Rarely active, but Jazz Jackrabbit will always be in my heart.

Check out my War Tavern story, The Life of Jason Jackrabbit! [UPDATE - yeah, it died in 2002, but it was fun!]
Current Projects: Devan's Secret Weapon - yes, I still intend to release this some day. Got a lot of really great stuff done, it's going to be awesome!
Ice M A N

JCF Member

Jun 25, 2002, 03:52 PM
Milesba == Brian.

And the jmmb was (in) a subdir, and none of the subdirs are there (as far as I know). Besides, the board would have to be re-setup for his server which would take a bit of effort, but after that it would be a drain on his resources like you thought.. That and "officially" it was closed...
Another Jazz 2 fan

JCF Member

Jun 25, 2002, 08:44 PM
Why no subdirs? Can Brian put up the subdirs? (and fix some of the links)?

Fighter II

JCF Member

Fighter II is doing well so far

Jun 25, 2002, 10:05 PM
Guys, there's two Jazz 2 City sites. The hello one and the link you gave us. Hmmmmmmm................the link gave us to an illusion. I saw that site a long time that had a sp levels galore. Now it isn't!!
Shoot. That was a dead site now. a ghost of the site.

"your an idiot"-Ruri Hishino

It's compressed.-Arjan Brusse

Brilliant Idea-Fighter II aka Mazinkaiser aka Andrew Scotti.

Fighting a small jazz could be hard, but fighting a big jazz is harder!-Me

Fixing bugs is good for jj2-me

Dont spoil-Me
Brian

JCF Member

Brian has disabled reputation

Jun 26, 2002, 07:08 AM
I wish I had known about this topic earlier, I'd have posted on it sooner. Now, to answer some questions that people had (well... the ones that didn't get answered already)

1.) Everything that I had backed up at Jazz2City before it went down, is online and on my server (actually it's just my home computer on a cable modem). My two domain names are milesba.com and evilopie.net.

2.) The JMMB is not up though, as it takes up too much space, and it was a pain to maintain before we took it down. (being in college at the time didn't help anything. I couldn't moderate and fix things properly... just not enough time) It also takes up like 300+ megs of disk space, which I don't feel like dedicating to it. So unfortunately that is going to stay down. I don't feel like going through the effort to get that working again, especially considering that this board took its place a long while ago.

3.) Jazz2city.milesba.com is up. But not all of the links work. If you want to get to some of the old files, you can still get to them (most of them anyway) by changing any jazz2city.com link to jazz2city.milesba.com instead. I just put the files up, I never got around to fixing the broken links.

4.) Jazz2city.com is somewhat alive. It has acquired a new web host. (And that "Hello World" isn't a hack... the owner did that) Soon I may upload all of the old J2C backup that I have to that site so that all the links should work then. (plus I'll get a bunch of hard drive space back) So keep checking, J2C may be back online fully, soon. Though I make no guarantees.

5.) If J2C does come back (which it probably will) I strongly doubt it will be updated. So don't expect it to be. It will just be a basic site for JJ2 info and old files that people made.

6.) As for just WHY J2C went down... well, there were a couple of reasons. First, it's a royal pain in the rear finding someone to host a webpage the size of J2C for free. We're talking like at least half a gig of data here. Next to no one wants to host that for free. To my knowledge, J2C has been hosted in at least 3 places. First was FrontierNet, which didn't last long because they only had 10 megs of file space to work with. Second was over at mich.com which ended up going out of business (I think). And the last place that J2C was hosted before going offline totally, was over at the actionxtreme network. Eventually they ended up basically dying too, and took J2C down with it. Also, DethMan said that J2C and the JMMB were getting away from Christian morals, and it was also a handful to keep running in that it took a lot of manpower from a small staff to keep running still. It put a large strain on EVERYONE who was working on it.... and good help was hard to find. So that all lead to its demise.

But now, I think that we have a decent host again, and enough time to get it running once more for prosparity, so long as we don't need to put the time into actually keeping it updated, it could be a good site for old archives and news. So keep an eye on it, we may actually get J2C off the ground once more.

And I hope this answers most questions that people have. Does anyone else have any more? (not counting questions about what the site may or may not have on it, if it comes back up)
Ice M A N

JCF Member

Jun 26, 2002, 07:53 AM
n.n We love you Brian. (In the way that all good people love their favourite admins, of course).

And if something goes wrong I'd be happy to host a mirror of J2C on my comp (although it isn't on 24/7/52, but some weeks it is). Which reminds me.. I should see about hosting my nagcentral backup on my comp. (except for j2o, jdc, etc.. who have found new hosts).
Another Jazz 2 fan

JCF Member

Jun 26, 2002, 09:48 AM
Brian, we are in your debt. Can't wait for the archives of J2C to come up. (Now we have to wait for Wakeman to put up the J2S archives, which I've been told he is actually working on.)

AJ2f

SteelTalon

JCF Member

SteelTalon is doing well so far

Jun 27, 2002, 06:19 PM
That's 5UP3R1337 Brian. Totally awesome. Brings back memories. ;P

Gah, the JJ2 Graveyard was down...
PreSenT PaST
</font>

Super Moderator

ShadowGPW is a forum legendShadowGPW is a forum legendShadowGPW is a forum legend

Jun 27, 2002, 06:28 PM
Quote:
It put a large strain on EVERYONE who was working on it.... and good help was hard to find.
dont agree with the this part.. everyone accept dethman and wakeman.. the original team (or team 2 what-ever) wanted to keep it alive, perhaps the download system would change totally by then (the j2o way? dunno) Also there where lots of good replacers around here that time who wanted to do some (and now is)

Also "GOOD HELP" feels like a big kick in the nutts..its just like that we did notthing, that only Deth/Wake did all the work! hey! we done a-lot too! jeez, thanks...for the useless work then
= update = MilesB didn't mean anything bad with this = update =

And the team it-self was never informed when something "goes down" I mean it was all the sudden, Jazz2City, JMMB it al died and we never got even a word from dethman, that made the ex-team very angry and even revenge fully (remember Kaven's words?)

p.s. Thanks for the url! / brings back memories (jeezz feel like an 80years old grandpa)

----------
update
----------
mr. b didn't mean anything bad about it

Last edited by ShadowGPW; Jun 27, 2002 at 07:15 PM.

JCF Member

EvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHART

Jun 27, 2002, 08:18 PM
J2O is better.

*runs away*

Visit My JJ2 Blog (HOLD YOUR HORSES I'M WORKING ON IT SHEESH)
Brian

JCF Member

Jun 27, 2002, 09:24 PM
Now it is, ;-) but when you consider that J2C hasn't been updated in like 2+ years, it's going to leave something to be desired.

And yes, at the end good help was hard to find. I'm not saying that we didn't have ANY, we just didn't have hardly anyone who would do regular updates. I seem to recall that we would give the FTP password to J2C out to several people, and then over time people would abuse it (give it out to friends... not use it... etc...). So we'd have to change it and start from scratch with the people we gave it out to. Eventually at the end, basically only DethMan, Steven and I had the password. (maybe one or two others, but I don't remember anyone else. Steven did most of the work) So yes, J2C was a big stress on EVERYONE. Steven, Deth and myself. :-) We tried multiple times to have others help maintain the site, but it never worked out. Every time we tried that, people would say that they wanted to help and would update, but it'd take forever to get updates, if they came at all. Eventually it became so bad that Steven took on most of the workload himself, and didn't really let anyone else work on the site. I have no clue how he pulled that off.... but he did. He is amazing.

JCF Member

Xtreem has disabled reputation

Jun 28, 2002, 06:29 AM
Cool Jazz2City Rulez!!
Carnt wait to see it again

Xtreem

JCF Member

Aiko is doing well so far

Jun 28, 2002, 07:07 AM
Somehow, i don't know. Jazz2City was awesome, back then. And the way it died was shameful, yes. But now we have Jazz2Online (which is, in most parts, much better...only to mention the reviewing system). So i don't like comebacks. The true spirit of J2C is nothing but nostalgia and ego boost for the oldbies, gone forever. And thats good, imho. Well, maybe as an archive, okay, but i don't think updates would be a good idea.

My two cents.

P.S.:
I *still* don't get what Mr. DethMan meant by "getting away from Christian morals". Noone ever even tried to explain that. Made me quite angry at that time, as people who followed the discussion back then (early 2000, iirc) may remember.

Last edited by Aiko; Jun 28, 2002 at 07:19 AM.
Razz

Banned

Razz is doing well so far

Jun 28, 2002, 07:28 AM
I admit, J2C was really great 3 years ago when I visited it...
But well like they all say, now we have J2O, we don't need J2C anymore, J2O is like J2C for us only better.
Maybe some people want to get their levels or from others back that they lost but that's all. For updates we have our own J2O.....

Super Moderator

ShadowGPW is a forum legendShadowGPW is a forum legendShadowGPW is a forum legend

Jun 28, 2002, 08:57 AM
Aiko, the updates are minor prolly..
like adding the Link J2O and forwarding the JMMB link to JCF
Brian

JCF Member

Jun 28, 2002, 05:05 PM
Myths:

1.) The JMMB is coming back.

Nope. As far as I am concerned, this will stay archived on my backup CD. It's too much to get running again, and I don't feel like uploading a 400-meg zip file of it to someone else who could do it.

2.) J2C will be updated.

Nope. There are only two people that I know of that have FTP access to J2C now. I am one of the two. Neither of us have the time to update J2C at all. It is not coming back as a current news site. It is not coming back as a cool place to hang out. (well.... it could be, but that's not my intension) J2C is not coming back to replace, or try to replace J2O. Nor do I think it could if it tried, having been down for so long.

If J2C comes back, the reason that it comes back will be for an archive of a once great site. It still has a lot of old levels, and I believe that if it's still there, the old news might be good for a bit of nostalga to look at. J2C is a good resource, for information and levels about JJ2. It is not intended to be a current news site, nor will it be again. Kinda sad really... but it has passed the torch to J2O who has taken its place, better than probably any of us could have expected so long ago.

Any other questions/comments? J2C is not intended to be a replacement for J2O at all. You shouldn't go around expecting it to be.
Kaz

JCF Member

Kaz has disabled reputation

Jun 28, 2002, 05:15 PM
Hmm... well if you're really going to give up on it... could you at least authorize the usage of the J2C stuff to give somewhat of a skin to j20? Yellow... ick.

JCF Éminence Grise

Violet CLM has disabled reputation

Jun 28, 2002, 05:28 PM
Is there any way I can get ahold of an archive of the JMMB's War Tavern forum?

JCF Member

Talec is doing well so far

Jun 28, 2002, 05:44 PM
Actually, I was thinking of asking for a couple archived/zipped forums myself... I save anything of interest I find on message boards, but I didn't get that habit until after the JMMB closed... All I've got is a page of Word Association I, Yes! War Stories Are Back!, and most of Fquist: You have run for long enough. ;_;

~Talec LP

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

Jun 29, 2002, 04:05 AM
J2C had more stuff

*also runs away*

JCF Member

KRSplat is a forum legendKRSplat is a forum legend

Jun 29, 2002, 11:31 AM
Most people want J2C back for the memories, and levels. Other than that, I think J2O is better in pretty much every category. Except news, J2C was updated often in it's prime. But that was when we actually HAD news...

(Yeah, yellow is yucky. )

JCF Member

WMCoolmon is doing well so far

Jun 29, 2002, 01:32 PM
Quote:
Any other questions/comments? J2C is not intended to be a replacement for J2O at all. You shouldn't go around expecting it to be.
Too late...someone just asked me to post a fan link for a site called Refalm. Better start installing Frontpage Express to update the links.

(No hard feelings to the person who sent me the link, of course )
BæÅüMàÑ

JCF Member

BæÅüMàÑ is doing well so far

Jun 29, 2002, 05:05 PM
Yes, i would like an archived copy of the war tavern too....... maybe brian can transfer the 400mb to someone who's willing to host the zipped archives themselves on a FTP or something?

JCF Member

Jun 29, 2002, 05:17 PM
At least the good ole war tavern is still there
http://jazz2city.milesba.com/feat.htm
Brian

JCF Member

Jun 30, 2002, 10:03 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Brian
and I don't feel like uploading a 400-meg zip file of it to someone else who could do it.
Sheesh... you guys are never satasified. ;-)
BæÅüMàÑ

JCF Member

BæÅüMàÑ is doing well so far

Jun 30, 2002, 02:31 PM
Your right, we aren't :P

Note:
"If you build it, they will come. If you build it good, keep it long, and then drop it fast, and then mention archiving it, they will come and ask for more :P"
Lil Wabbit

JCF Member

Lil Wabbit is doing well so far

Jun 30, 2002, 11:56 PM
that can't be ALL the warstories cause I remember I wrote alot of ONE of them, along with Dino...but I can't find my posts in that one, oh well...its probably lost in that big backup cd.