Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » General Jazz Jackrabbit Talk

Switching to Full Screen under Windows 10 is fixed?

View Poll Results: Do you get a CTO after switching to Full Screen mode while being in an online server?
Yes, I get a CTO 1 14.29%
No, I don't get a CTO 2 28.57%
I can't switch to Full Screen mode at all! 1 14.29%
I am not using Windows 10, but wanted to vote anyway 3 42.86%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

JCF Member

ShakerNL is an asset to this forumShakerNL is an asset to this forum

Aug 13, 2016, 11:21 AM

Hello JJ2 people!

Yesterday I was playing JJ2 online and accidentally switched to Full Screen mode while I was in a server. Normally, the connection drops for some reason and I get disconnected after 30 seconds (CTO) when doing that. This time, it didn't happen. I was still in the game sending/receiving packets.

It has been a known issue that JJ2 has trouble with the network connection after switching to full screen mode in Windows 8, 8.1 and 10 while being in an online server.

I want to know if anyone can test this and tell me whether they have a CTO or not. I only am interested in results of Windows 10 users with the latest updates installed.

JCF Member

Slaz is OFF DA CHARTSlaz is OFF DA CHARTSlaz is OFF DA CHART

Aug 25, 2016, 03:33 AM
This issue is fixed for me, but only since the latest platform update a.k.a. the Anniversary Update. All versions before that, and since the first public build of Windows 8 gave me this problem.

My current graphics adapter is NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960, if that's relevant.

JCF Member

SAMI is doing well so far

Aug 25, 2016, 08:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaz View Post
This issue is fixed for me, but only since the latest platform update a.k.a. the Anniversary Update. All versions before that, and since the first public build of Windows 8 gave me this problem.

My current graphics adapter is NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960, if that's relevant.
Lastest update of what? Latest upfate of Windows 10 or latest JJ2 plus? My net on Pc is screwed again so I cant test now.

My Spec: 980Ti and 6700k. Its a 9xx (Maxwell series), so its behaviour should be as same as one Slaz has. But I didn't update my Windows 10 yet. Its still the old Pre November version since my net is slow as fuck.

Edit: Oh, it seems you're talking about latest Windows update. I have to update it then.

By the way, I never needed ddraw.dll, the game worked fine in Fullscreen with Vsync working and no frame drops.

Last edited by SAMI; Aug 25, 2016 at 08:52 AM. Reason: Typin with mobiles touchpad gives me a heart attack

JCF Member

ShakerNL is an asset to this forumShakerNL is an asset to this forum

Aug 25, 2016, 10:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMI View Post
Lastest update of what? Latest upfate of Windows 10 or latest JJ2 plus?
Latest update of Windows 10. The Anniversary update. After that update, the problem disappeared for me.

Quote:
By the way, I never needed ddraw.dll, the game worked fine in Fullscreen with Vsync working and no frame drops.
I don't recall what fixed the fps issue, but I think there's a thread about it on jcf.

Also, JJ2 doesn't use gpu since a long time.

JCF Member

Aug 25, 2016, 01:57 PM

For some details, the slightly related yet different fps issue was fixed by a specialized ddraw.dll linked by Alberto in his stickied thread. That file picks up all of JJ2's DirectDraw calls and processes them properly and with some custom settings too! The problem was that DirectDraw, which JJ2 calls to for fullscreen mode, was officially 100% unsupported by Microsoft's new window manager in use since Windows 8 (it's WDM). As you may know, DLL files are first looked at in the same folder as the EXE so that devs may supply their own version for compatibility. Placing the special ddraw.dll in the JJ2 folder will make JJ2 use that one for DDraw calls instead of the one(s) in the Windows folders.

Though I lack enough feedback to confirm this, the fps problem apparently didn't happen for everyone and likely depends on CPU/GPU combinations.

And as I said before, people using Intel graphics adapters (including those on multi-GPU laptops that can switch between them on demand) have always been immune to the fps problem.

JCF Member

Aug 25, 2016, 03:38 PM
So its a happy ending then? After this CTO bug and Fps bug I thought JJ2 was at the end of it's life. Yet it survives another round and probably will live. Unless the next update of Windows 10 shows it a middle finger again.

I do have issues with dx8 which can be fixed by enb/reshade d3d8.dll most of the time. I still have issues on older ddraw like in games like Earthworm Jim/Pitfall where I can't switch to Fullscreen and thus plagued with 5000fps stutter fest lol.

Last edited by SAMI; Aug 25, 2016 at 03:39 PM. Reason: Typin with mobiles touchpad gives me a heart attack

JCF Member

Aug 26, 2016, 12:51 AM
Quote:
I still have issues on older ddraw like in games like Earthworm Jim/Pitfall where I can't switch to Fullscreen and thus plagued with 5000fps stutter fest lol.

In that case, the same ddraw.dll patch might do the trick. After all, it was made with far more popular games in mind such as StarCraft, but just happened to work with JJ2 too.

JCF Member

Aug 26, 2016, 01:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaz View Post
In that case, the same ddraw.dll patch might do the trick. After all, it was made with far more popular games in mind such as StarCraft, but just happened to work with JJ2 too.
It doesnt use ddraw.dll.

It uses dispdib.dll and I get this error message "Bad or missing dispdib.dll - error 2" when I set it to windows 95 compability mode. There's no diapdib.dll converter yet.