Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » JCS & Scripting

Want to take part in a treasure level contest?

View Poll Results: Would you take part?
Yes! 8 66.67%
No. 2 16.67%
Later (explain when) 2 16.67%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

JCF Member

Treylina is a forum legendTreylina is a forum legendTreylina is a forum legend

Sep 17, 2014, 12:47 PM
Want to take part in a treasure level contest?

I feel like treasure is the most overlooked gamemode out there, due to frustrating mechanics, and mostly poor quality levels. So, I want to make a contest, to encourage levelmaking and try to bring potential to this forgotten gamemode!

And you can win money as a prize! The winner will get £34 in prize money. You will need paypal or google wallet so I can transfer the money.

However, a lot of contests fail because they don't get enough entries or all of them lack in quality, so I want enough JCSers considering to take part. I'm looking for a minimum of 3 entrants who have shown they have decent JCS skills (knowing how to use tilesets and understand some gameplay theory).

Entries would be judged. I hope to get some other judges for a wider view, and they should be fairly experienced with multiplayer gameplay theory. Sorry, no voting because they're often a popularity contest.

Here are the rules:
1. Entry must be yours in some way.
2. Collabs are allowed. If the winner is a collab entry, the prize money will be shared.
3. Entries must be new. However, you can finish off an unfinished treasure level and enter it.
4. Custom gamemodes that utilise treasure but aren't truly treasure (like ground force and race) do not count.
5. It should support 1.23. Plus allows you to play most levels made in TSF JCS/with TSF tilesets, so all you need to worry about is simply not to use too many/TSF only animations, or the level being far too big. However, if your level supports non-plus 1.23, you must use 1.23 JCS or convert the level into 1.23.
6. It should be playable by all characters. If you don't have TSF, I can test if it works with Lori for you.

Here would be the level guidelines:

1. Don't make the player rely on springs/copter pickups too much. While you are blinking, you cannot use springs or pick up objects, resulting in clustered, frustrating fights.
2. Don't go overboard on things that cause the player to slow down a lot (like poles and 1 tile open passages you have to slow down in). These can also result in frustrating fights.
3. AS is optional. If I get enough separate AS and non-AS entries, I may split up the winners into two different categories.
4. The level doesn't need to utilise plus features.
5. Character and weapon balance is fun, though not required.
7. Keep a balance between vertical and horizontal passages in the layout.
8. Have at least more than one pickup type to make the gameplay not too one-dimensional.

The poll lasts for a limited time, so vote ASAP! If I get enough willing entrants after the poll ends, a new thread will be made. I just wanted to give others an idea of what it would be like.

Jazz Jackrabbit group: https://discord.gg/vZm95tQ
FireSworD

JCF Member

FireSworD is an asset to this forumFireSworD is an asset to this forum

Sep 18, 2014, 02:53 AM
Treasure hunt levels that are completely or mostly underwater tend to be favorable, because you might not need to rely on springs etc much or at all to move around the layout. If Fly cs etc are the primary or only option for moving around the layout, then the same logic applies mostly. Atlantis and Coral Coves (Not bragging!) are examples of underwater treasure hunt levels, and I'd like to know what the people entering this contest think about them.

Last edited by FireSworD; Sep 19, 2014 at 09:38 AM.

JCF Member

Sep 18, 2014, 11:19 AM
While underwater treasure levels are okay, I don't find underwater very fun to move around in...it's very clunky. Same with airboards in MP. Half of the fun in jj2 for me is the mobility, platforming and mind games. What I had in mind is smaller platforms, pinball paddles, tubes and vines (not necessarily all at once though, lol) which all work in treasure while you're blinking. However, I actually intend to make a water treasure level someday, but only half of the level will consist of it and would utilise the fun "run and jump insanely high in water" bug.

Last edited by Treylina; Sep 24, 2014 at 03:50 PM. Reason: clearing something up

JCF Member

XxMoNsTeRXM is doing well so far

Sep 25, 2014, 05:14 AM
Is it a problem if I add the blaster reloading from plusComet and edit it a bit?

JCF Member

Sep 25, 2014, 11:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxMoNsTeRXM View Post
Is it a problem if I add the blaster reloading from plusComet and edit it a bit?
I don't mind if you take script concepts, however taking level layouts is a no.

Old Sep 25, 2014, 01:47 PM
cooba
This message has been deleted by cooba.

JCF Member

XxMoNsTeRXM is doing well so far

Sep 26, 2014, 02:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treylina View Post
I don't mind if you take script concepts, however taking level layouts is a no.
Ok, that's good.

JCF Member

Slaz is OFF DA CHARTSlaz is OFF DA CHARTSlaz is OFF DA CHART

Sep 29, 2014, 02:31 AM
Count me in for this contest, as long as the deadline will be long enough as tend to slack off a lot while JCSing.. At the moment I still have to finish my entry for 'The most OBSCURE RARE UNPOPULAR contest' which is about 75% done.

I do have some ideas for a treasure hunt level that may or may not work out. It's a very versatile gamemode since you can make more 'hotspots' than a regular CTF level has (2 bases and 1 C and/or PU). It may be a tad harder to balance out, but could be fun if it works out.

Also, as a bonus I'm willing to occasionally host all finished entries from this contest in the CDF Server's treasure playlist, since there aren't any treasure levels in the list and it's indeed an underplayed gamemode.

JCF Member

Sep 29, 2014, 08:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaz View Post
Count me in for this contest, as long as the deadline will be long enough as tend to slack off a lot while JCSing.. At the moment I still have to finish my entry for 'The most OBSCURE RARE UNPOPULAR contest' which is about 75% done.

I do have some ideas for a treasure hunt level that may or may not work out. It's a very versatile gamemode since you can make more 'hotspots' than a regular CTF level has (2 bases and 1 C and/or PU). It may be a tad harder to balance out, but could be fun if it works out.

Also, as a bonus I'm willing to occasionally host all finished entries from this contest in the CDF Server's treasure playlist, since there aren't any treasure levels in the list and it's indeed an underplayed gamemode.
I was thinking the time to make levels should last a month and a half, basically the deadline being November the 15th/16th. Is that enough time?

So, with the amount of levelmakers interested, I thought of having a 2nd place prize of £12 as well, if I get more than 5 finished, decent quality entries.

Those who are wanting the contest happen later: Well, you have to tell me when, otherwise I'll just start in the next few days.

JCF Member

Slaz is OFF DA CHARTSlaz is OFF DA CHARTSlaz is OFF DA CHART

Sep 29, 2014, 01:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treylina View Post
I was thinking the time to make levels should last a month and a half, basically the deadline being November the 15th/16th. Is that enough time?
That seems reasonable to me. I'd have to prioritize the treasure level over other projects (JJ2 and non-JJ2 alike) once in a while, but a month and a half seems more than enough anyway.

At least I expect this contest to gain more finished entries than the Diamondus Warzone Remake one. As there are basically no restrictions here other than making it a treasure level, a gamemode that's still open to new ideas and thus easier to be original in.

JCF Member

Oct 1, 2014, 01:08 PM
The poll is over, and the treasure contest will begin, thanks to the willing participants.

I'm also looking for judges. Even if I'm the only judge, there will still be a winner.

EDIT: The new thread is here;

http://www.jazz2online.com/jcf/showt...927#post483927

Requesting admin/mod lock.

Last edited by Treylina; Oct 1, 2014 at 01:28 PM.
Closed Thread