Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » General Jazz Jackrabbit Talk

JJ2+ (Updated June 30, 2010)

JCF Member

Jgke is an asset to this forumJgke is an asset to this forum

May 10, 2010, 03:05 AM
Aaand yet more. Add foreign language support. (Users could create language packs themselves.)
Edit: And support for chatting only inside a admin group

Last edited by Jgke; May 10, 2010 at 05:56 AM.

JCF Member

Czech Sonic is doing well so far

May 10, 2010, 06:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by J96 View Post
I'd like to learn to code in JJ2+, where can I learn this?
Sorry im not programer Talk to Bluered is programer and creators this JJ+

JCF Member

Seren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to all

May 10, 2010, 07:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by J96 View Post
Aaand yet more. Add foreign language support. (Users could create language packs themselves.)
I think that you mean something like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J96
Edit: And support for chatting only inside a admin group
A quote from plus-readme.txt: "The server and admins are able to use Admin Chat--chat only viewable by the server and admins--by prefixing their chat messages with ">"."

I am an official JJ2+ programmer and this has been an official JJ2+ statement.

Last edited by Sir Ementaler; May 10, 2010 at 07:02 AM. Reason: Not really

JCF Member

Grytolle is a forum legendGrytolle is a forum legendGrytolle is a forum legend

May 10, 2010, 07:24 AM
an admin group - rtfp

JCF Member

May 10, 2010, 08:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Ementaler View Post
I think that you mean something like this.
Nice. Didn't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Ementaler View Post
A quote from plus-readme.txt: "The server and admins are able to use Admin Chat--chat only viewable by the server and admins--by prefixing their chat messages with ">"."
">" shouts your message to all admins in the server, not a specific admin group.

JCF Member

Dermo should make better posts

May 24, 2010, 02:44 PM
BUG: If you have to start player events. One team 0 and one on team 1. Well it will only spawn red on start event 1 if custom game mode is off. Otherwise it will alternate.

Do you like Stijn? Take my poll!

Windows is not a virus. A virus is small and efficient...

Note to Stijn: how am i even getting away with this

JCF Member

blurredd is an asset to this forumblurredd is an asset to this forum

May 24, 2010, 09:11 PM
The start position issue you mentioned only applies to Team Battle and Team Last Rabbit Standing, and it's a side-effect of solving the problem where a player on the red team crashes on a level which uses only Multiplayer Level Start events for the blue team. I intended to make a better solution for some while now, but I never got around to it.

By the way, when I make the fix some time in the future, you're going to want to use "/latestversiononly on" since it can only be a local fix and you'll probably want to make sure players don't start in the wrong positions.
ATB Contest. Scripting Language.
Gameplay Theories.
1UP. Pitfall. Desolation.
SC2.

Shelly

JCF Member

Shelly is doing well so far

May 25, 2010, 12:52 PM
blur, any chance i get to add my custom game mode into plus? Its uses basically the same feats as lrs and a few more. And i recommend an admin command which enables the use of wall climb
[15:04:01] murát[ßá]: suck my dick andrzej which I dont have

JCF Member

Treylina is a forum legendTreylina is a forum legendTreylina is a forum legend

May 26, 2010, 11:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelly View Post
blur, any chance i get to add my custom game mode into plus? Its uses basically the same feats as lrs and a few more. And i recommend an admin command which enables the use of wall climb
I don't remember you asking for a custom gamemode concept. And you can put wallclimb on, just type /wc on in the chatbar.

So, what I found out about the wallkick bug is actually the amount of speed that causes it. I actually put suck speed really high and it had skipped food. Another person has tested the really fast tubes before and it could go through walls and such.

I still think it'd be a better idea to have a no-push mode rather than this allblue/bllred on stuff. Why? Well, because CTF mode limits you to what you can do in tests, no platforms, no frog morph, or bird morph, and so much other things CTF mode limits you to. I hate it. Take a look at EvilMikes platform test. It requires coop mode to work. Awquardly, you have to start hosting as coop, then CTF. This becomes even more awquard when more people keep coming in to play the coop-mode test, having to ask the host to as coop, then joiner leaves, comes back in, then host changes gamemode to ctf. With no-push mode, it would really help broaden test ideas out without the worry of being pushed by others, and make hosting coop tests 5x easier. Alternatively, you could have a new gamemode "Test" which allows coop mode-only tiles to work, no pushing, no pointless red/blue clothing (which is useless for tests really, red/blue clothing is only needed for *real* team games, people only use ctf mode because you cant push others).

JCF Member

Black Ninja is an asset to this forumBlack Ninja is an asset to this forum

May 26, 2010, 02:06 PM
I always thought part of the fun of tests was getting blasted just as you're about to complete a super hard challenge. Treasure mode FTW!

JCF Member

Slaz is OFF DA CHARTSlaz is OFF DA CHARTSlaz is OFF DA CHART

May 26, 2010, 02:36 PM
Yep, at some point when playing lots of tests, I actually began to saw the kick message as a compliment for playing them. I loved shooting other players so that I could just 'win' the test first, but of course not everyone agreed with that, those were the times..

JCF Veteran

cooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of light

May 27, 2010, 06:45 AM
Idea: if connecting clients are marked with a C, and downloaders with a D, perhaps the clients who are downloading music could be marked with a note-like character (a đ)?

Example:

JCF Member

Treylina is a forum legendTreylina is a forum legendTreylina is a forum legend

May 27, 2010, 10:49 AM
Not if you have like 5 or more players near you, then it's really frustrating...oh, well I'm not so big on tests anyway.

JCF Member

May 28, 2010, 06:41 PM
I remember countless hours of playing Wind Meister 2 over and over with like 12 people and the mass amounts of gunfire filling the virtual sky. Those were the good old days.

JCF Member

Narsist has disabled reputation

May 29, 2010, 02:44 AM
Yes, I need that!

JCF Member

FihuFiL is notorious for his worthless posts

May 30, 2010, 06:58 AM
Hi all.
Some day I was thinking... Many free web servers runs under 100Mb/s connections...
Some music and tilesets (levels not mostly) are over 500KB and downloading it take long time (15s - 30s) because host have low speed upload (how about 10 - 30KB/s)
The newest version of plus can load lvl not from JJ2 folder so what about loading lvl tileset and music from web server. eg. make 2nd levellist called "something.ini" with
Quote:
;level/tileset/music
;e.g. 001=somehost.com/files/lvl/Battle1.j2l|somehost.com/files/tile/Castle1.j2t|somehost.com/files/music/CastleRMX.mp3
[Battle]
001=somehost.com/files/lvl/Battle1.j2l|somehost.com/files/tile/Castle1.j2t|somehost.com/files/music/CastleRMX.mp3
or something like this then client with plus download music tile and lvl from high speed web server if client is not running plus then host will normally upload.
I think it is possible and it can be more functional then downloading 1.1MB music from host.
What do you think about my idea?

JCF Member

May 30, 2010, 10:42 AM
Sounds like it could be made just as (un)safe as downloading a level from the host itself

JCF Member

BlueDragon is doing well so far

May 31, 2010, 10:05 AM
That might sound like a good idea but its bad! Someone can easily use it to send a virus to the downloader. So its better not to implant it.

JCF Member

May 31, 2010, 12:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by klemenkin View Post
That might sound like a good idea but its bad! Someone can easily use it to send a virus to the downloader. So its better not to implant it.
That makes no sense The issues are exactly the same as when you download something from a jj2 server

JCF Member

[GpW]Urbs is an asset to this forum

May 31, 2010, 01:20 PM
Idd.
I hate to say this, but the Swede's right.

Gamer Pryde Worldwide

JCF Member

FihuFiL is notorious for his worthless posts

Jun 5, 2010, 05:43 AM
Quote:
Do you really think is it impossible to upload a virus in mp3 normally (like now a days by jj2+)?
It is very simple to hide a virus in mp3 and then jj2 client download it from you computer. So it makes no difference .

JCF Member

Jun 5, 2010, 08:42 AM
We had a conversation at the Zeal Admin chat about the resolutions. We decided that a command like /maxresolution would be the best option for this problem, to be used with /latestversion on, of course.
DanZeal

JCF Member

DanZeal is an asset to this forum

Jun 5, 2010, 10:48 AM
1.23 is dying atm due to the high res release.

ZStats
"The myth that women should not lift heavy is advanced only by women who fear effort and men who fear women." Eric Midkiff

Last edited by DanZeal; Jun 5, 2010 at 11:05 AM.

JCF Member

Jerrythabest is a forum legendJerrythabest is a forum legendJerrythabest is a forum legend

Jun 5, 2010, 02:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FihuFiL View Post
Do you really think is it impossible to upload a virus in mp3 normally (like now a days by jj2+)?
It is very simple to hide a virus in mp3 and then jj2 client download it from you computer. So it makes no difference .
If there's a difference between the two, I'd rather say downloading the files from a generic JJ2 fileserver is more secure than downloading them from the host. The fileserver's owner could run a virus scan on every upload and quick-scan the whole thing each week or so to keep it clean.

JCF Member

Vegito is an asset to this forum

Jun 5, 2010, 02:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
I guess you should re-enable 1.23 joiners then. I honestly don't see what's wrong if they play using higher resolution.
If you go 1600x1200 you basically see 3x as much as any normal other player sees. That's the problem.

JCF Member

Jun 7, 2010, 11:35 AM
Why was Lan IPX support removed? It was a good way to test levels... also no one could ever connect to you so it was even better. While Lan TCP anyone can connect who knows your host name or IP -.-

JCF Member

Raven aka StL should make better posts

Jun 8, 2010, 12:25 PM
Host with a password?
Host with a low maxplayers and fill the slots?
Test it offline?
Run it directly from JCS?

There are alternatives that make the albeit good question pretty pointless.
BlueDragon

JCF Member

Jun 8, 2010, 12:57 PM
Why make it hard if you can make it the easy way with IPX? I just host it and bam no one can join. While for the others i have to set settings...(also MP levels not SP levels...)

I would like to know WHY it was removed? Its not like it was in the way... why do you remove features from the game? This is supposed to be JJ2+ not JJ2-.

JCF Member

TechnoPauluz is doing well so far

Jun 8, 2010, 02:58 PM
Now I had it once that a person entered my game while I was testing over IP

JCF Member

Jun 10, 2010, 07:27 AM
Just remebered, you should add the command support for singleplayer. Just enabling chatting should do it.

JCF Member

Jun 10, 2010, 12:50 PM
Why the hell...? Who would you have to "administrate" in Single Player?

JCF Member

Jun 10, 2010, 01:01 PM
Quote:
I would like to know WHY it was removed? Its not like it was in the way... why do you remove features from the game? This is supposed to be JJ2+ not JJ2-.
It's a lot of work to make all the adjustments one more time for the IPX part of Jj2+, which is why blur dropped it, since it's hardly used anyway

JCF Member

Jun 10, 2010, 01:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dermo View Post
For instance, if someone wants to jump to certain level, what isn't on the home cooked list...

JCF Member

Troglobite is a forum legendTroglobite is a forum legendTroglobite is a forum legend

Jun 10, 2010, 05:00 PM
Quote:
Changing levels, changing max health/start health, carrots on/off, shields on/off, wall climbing on/off, restarting a level, turning triggers on/off, instagib on/off, spawnobjects, etc. Plus allows a lot of options that drastically change gameplay in multiplayer, and would also affect single player. Although many of the options would probably just end up being used as cheats (as if jjgod wasn't enough), some would allow for some interesting options, and I personally have been looking forward to plus being applied to single player for quite some time now.

Lexicographer: Someone who writes dictionaries
Neophyte: A novice, or newbie
Hemisemidemiquaver: In music, a sixty-fourth note

Exit Troglobite, Stage Left

JCF Member

Jun 10, 2010, 05:21 PM
in other words, cheating

JCF Member

Troglobite is a forum legendTroglobite is a forum legendTroglobite is a forum legend

Jun 10, 2010, 08:07 PM
Quote:
in other words, cheating
In the same way that JJ2+ is cheating at multiplayer. Sure, it can be used to do /maxscore 5 then /bluescore 5 or something, but it's generally not used for that because cheating isn't really that fun. I think a large amount of the fun would come doing just the opposite, and increasing the difficulty by removing carrots or powerups or reducing the amount of health you have. Also, the trigger commands would be a nice feature for testing levels out. The level cycling commands usefulness should be obvious. Somethings like extended TNT range could potentially allow for single player levels that wouldn't work before. Some commands, like negative health from kills or frustration, if modified to apply to baddies instead of other players, could create some really unique gameplay. Instead of just having to stand back and mash the shoot button (which is boring and occurs in way too many levels) you would have to carefully avoid the enemies without being able to fight back.

So sure, it could be used to cheat. But that's not how I would be using it.

JCF Member

Jun 10, 2010, 08:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troglobite View Post
I think a large amount of the fun would come doing just the opposite, and increasing the difficulty by removing carrots or powerups or reducing the amount of health you have.
Make the levels automatically hurt you twice before actually starting? Many ways of doing this, mostly with the Hurt event.

Quote:
Also, the trigger commands would be a nice feature for testing levels out.
If you're going to test a level, why would you wanna trigger stuff? If the level's designed for multiplayer, host it on LAN. If it's designed for SP, you know where the crate is, use it.

Quote:
The level cycling commands usefulness should be obvious.
not when you have jjnext

Quote:
Somethings like extended TNT range could potentially allow for single player levels that wouldn't work before. Some commands, like negative health from kills or frustration, if modified to apply to baddies instead of other players, could create some really unique gameplay. Instead of just having to stand back and mash the shoot button (which is boring and occurs in way too many levels) you would have to carefully avoid the enemies without being able to fight back.
Lets just create a monopoly. Forget those players who don't know about JJ2+, they don't need to discover new SP levels, get confused, and leave. And I really don't think new SP game modes are necessary. If we want to expand, do more online stuff. Host more coop. But single player is just...as you said... boring.

JCF Member

Jun 10, 2010, 10:11 PM
Quote:
Make the levels automatically hurt you twice before actually starting? Many ways of doing this, mostly with the Hurt event.
Getting hurt twice takes a bit of time and requires adding awkward extra stuff at the beginning of the level. And say I want to play through a campaign that someone else made, but I think it's a bit too easy, so I want to try it with only 3 health on each level. Either I can use a hex editor to remove all the passwords, go through one by one adding some extra hurt events, then wait a few seconds at the start of each level before I could even play because I was busy being hurt. Or, I could press "t/smhealth 3" and play. Also, the hurt method doesn't change the maxhealth. So if a full NRG is placed anywhere on the level, it will negate all the work I put into adding hurts. Unless I'm supposed to hunt down every carrot before I even try running the game.

Quote:
If you're going to test a level, why would you wanna trigger stuff? If the level's designed for multiplayer, host it on LAN. If it's designed for SP, you know where the crate is, use it.
For more complicated triggers, like background stuff or foreground stuff through reworder, I might want to figure out if the trigger works before I even decide on a location for the crate. Also, crates are generally placed in difficult to reach places on purpose in single player. For testing purposes, I will cheat to get the crate, because it can be a huge waste of time running back and forth in sections of the level I've already tested just to get a crate. JJflyjjnowallsjjinv, flying there, jjflyjjfly, stomping the crate, jjfly, flying back, jjflyjjflyjjnowallsjjinv would work, but "t/trigger 1 on" would be faster and more convenient.

Quote:
not when you have jjnext
JJnext is great when I want to go to the "next" level. Not so much if I want to go to the previous level or something that's not in the set of consecutive levels I'm currently in.

Quote:
Lets just create a monopoly. Forget those players who don't know about JJ2+, they don't need to discover new SP levels, get confused, and leave.
Uploads that require plus will say so. Plus is easy to find, and easy to install. I think refusing to add features that could enhance the experience of many people who play jazz, because the off chance that someone out there may get a bit confused, will prevent more good than bad. I've seen poorly designed uploads on J2O that can easily put a player in a situation where the level is unwinnable, and I realize that it can be annoying. But I think no matter what features plus has, you'll always see more problems from poorly designed regular levels than different gamemodes. And those levels have not discouraged every new player from sticking with JJ2.

Quote:
And I really don't think new SP game modes are necessary. If we want to expand, do more online stuff. Host more coop. But single player is just...as you said... boring.
I didn't say single player is boring. I said, "...having to stand back and mash the shoot button..." is boring. Single player can be awesome. For example, episode 5 of the Resurgence of Devan by EvilMike was brilliant. It had levels based around moving platforms, lots of horizontal springs, rising and falling water levels, delicate platforms that would crumble if you weren't careful while walking across them, etc. Winning took finesse, not button mashing. The reason a lot of single player stuff is boring is that the gameplay is redundant and simply involves shooting a couple enemies then jumping between a couple platforms. Adding new features in plus would allow for more unique gameplay and would reduce boredom.

JCF Member

Seren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to all

Jun 10, 2010, 10:32 PM
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dermo
Lets just create a monopoly. Forget those players who don't know about JJ2+, they don't need to discover new SP levels, get confused, and leave. And I really don't think new SP game modes are necessary. If we want to expand, do more online stuff. Host more coop. But single player is just...as you said... boring.
Editing each level of, let's say, devres, to be like that, would be pain. Also, (I hope) he means something like a super hard mode, where a player is who can choose to have 3 hearts in exchange of 5 or to only avoid enemies in exchange of shooting them. The TNT stuff was rather stupid for me, though. I see no reason to design a level like that.

Quote:
Let's say I made a mistake, and the crate has other ID than the trigger scenery, but I want to see how does its animation look like. It's not the best example, but right now I can't think about any better one.

Quote:
not when you have jjnext
Not when the next level is not where I want to go. If nothing "links" to a level, I must make a special level with a proper "next level" string. This consume too much time.

Quote:
in other words, cheating
If anyone would use it for cheating, why would you care? In SP it won't hurt anyone but the cheaters. If they're okay with this, let them cheat. Additionally, Plus won't change anything, as they already have a whole lot of built-in cheats.

I am an official JJ2+ programmer and this has been an official JJ2+ statement.

JCF Member

Jun 11, 2010, 12:20 PM
Troglobite's post makes me happy. ^_______^ <---- Happy BN face

So, JJ2+ needs a 'climb the exploding staircase' mode. Badly.
Closed Thread