Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » General Jazz Jackrabbit Talk

Mouse aim thoughts

View Poll Results: What do you think of mouse aim?
I like it 8 34.78%
Ugh, no thanks 2 8.70%
Never tried it 5 21.74%
It depends 8 34.78%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

JCF Member

Treylina is a forum legendTreylina is a forum legendTreylina is a forum legend

Feb 11, 2015, 01:00 PM
Mouse aim thoughts

Gathering my notion if "Most don't like mouse aim" is actually true. Or not.

For those of you who don't know, mouse aim is a feature in plus that allows you to aim shots with your mouse.

Jazz Jackrabbit group: https://discord.gg/vZm95tQ

JCF Veteran

cooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of light

Feb 11, 2015, 01:20 PM
The only people who don't like it are:

1) too lazy to read the readme and configure it properly.
2) literally dependant on their tiny "tactics" in poor levels and unwilling to step out of their comfort zones.

This is not an opinion, this is a fact.

Ninja

JCF Member

Ninja is an asset to this forumNinja is an asset to this forum

Feb 11, 2015, 01:34 PM
yeah, it's dope

JCF Member

Love & Thunder has disabled reputation

Feb 11, 2015, 01:38 PM
I'm with Cooba on this; mouse aiming is great.

Also, it allows for some interesting AngelScript stuff(Rocket Powered Rabbits, for example).
There are literally no downsides.

JCF Member

Jelly Jam is doing well so far

Feb 11, 2015, 02:01 PM
Good in single player
Bad in multiplayer

JCF Member

Feb 11, 2015, 02:16 PM
Welp, I guess that makes RF climbing nothing more than tactic. No wait, it's a skill that adds something to the game.

On a more serious note, I'll explain what else I don't really like about mouse aim;

I've never particularly been a big fan of being able to destroy enemies safely constantly within safe places. When you can aim in more directions, this scenario opens up a lot more, and I don't find it much fun. The fun of going against enemies, is taking risks.

Mouse aiming looks odd with the sprites not made with it in mind. Yeah, it's merely visual so it's a minor reason.

I'm one for rewarding players who suprise others, not ones that simply know how to aim. No need to worry about someone chasing you with rf, just rain some toast, fireball or bouncer behind you with lack of penalty. No need to worry about others dodging you vertically, just shoot some bouncer upwards. At that point it becomes less about map control/prediction, and whoever can aim the best. I love bouncers but they're just plain OP with mouse aim.

That's not to say it's always bad, but I don't think it's always better. It's not suit for all levels (or weapons per say). Long ago I configured my controls, but deep down it felt right to go back to the normal shooting settings after using mouse aim for a while.

Last edited by Treylina; Feb 11, 2015 at 02:32 PM.

JCF Member

PurpleJazz is OFF DA CHARTPurpleJazz is OFF DA CHARTPurpleJazz is OFF DA CHART

Feb 11, 2015, 02:37 PM
I feel that mouse aim is something that will become more popular with time. It's a significant alteration to the typical JJ2 gameplay, and while it takes some time to adjust to, and makes the game feel a little slower at first due to having to focus on aiming at players whilst moving at the same time, I do believe it improves the gameplay in the long run as it discourages camping and promotes raw skill.

JCF Member

Feb 11, 2015, 03:06 PM
To me the luck factor in JJ2 MP is that you never know where everyone is. Whether mouse aim discourages camping or not, depends on the weapon and layout. Mouse aim electro sounds like it has potential to thwart campers, but not in all levels.

I can attempt to make a battle level made with mouse aim in mind, though I'm not in the mindset to do it right now.

JCF Member

Grytolle is a forum legendGrytolle is a forum legendGrytolle is a forum legend

Feb 11, 2015, 03:29 PM
It's a cool feature and alters the gameplay completely and I think it's a much better use of the possibility of adding mouse action to JJ2 than my original mouse support was.

Personally, though, having to learn how to play a game from scratch is one of the reasons I generally don't bother trying new games, or game modes.

On a less personal level, learning it seems like something that's a lot easier with a tabletop than on a laptop with a touchpad.

Cooba: You are certainly right that your statement cannot be considered an opinion, seeing as your claims are clearly subject to empirical verification, so, offering just as little explicit logic as you did, I can only conclude that you lack the concept of a hypothesis .

JCF Member

SAMI is doing well so far

Feb 11, 2015, 10:27 PM
Mouse aim might be good in SP. But it damages the true fun of multiplayer game.

Now its just my opinion. There's no need to raise a storm over it.

JCF Veteran

cooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of light

Feb 11, 2015, 11:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grytolle View Post
Cooba: You are certainly right that your statement cannot be considered an opinion, seeing as your claims are clearly subject to empirical verification, so, offering just as little explicit logic as you did, I can only conclude that you lack the concept of a hypothesis .
wow what a burn

JCF Member

Primpy is an asset to this forumPrimpy is an asset to this forum

Feb 11, 2015, 11:18 PM
Not a fan of mouse-aim. It also makes controls more difficult.

"Floppy ears and a big butt?" - Slaz

JCF Member

XxMoNsTeRXM is doing well so far

Feb 12, 2015, 04:17 AM
I like mouse-aim, but I don't use it often, for a reason: I got a wireless mouse and sometimes it stops, and it's like "Hey, monster, I am just gonna stop here because you didn't moved me for 2 minutes while you were just searching for players around".

JCF Member

Slaz is OFF DA CHARTSlaz is OFF DA CHARTSlaz is OFF DA CHART

Feb 12, 2015, 04:25 AM
Ehhm, I like mouse aim in levels that were explicitly designed with it's versatility in mind. In regular multiplayer and classic SP I rarely use it. Having both hands on my keyboard is one of the pros of playing JJ2 after coming back from actively moving my right hand in Counter-Strike.

In terms of 'comfort zones', well you have to properly configure and get used to mouse aiming if you are to complete levels such as Ozymandius and Rocket Powered Rabbits, as poor aiming/movement means death in those levels. To me it was a fun experience completing them, and you know I voted Ozymandius and Decimation as favorites in last 2 JCS awards!

While Cooba has a point on the learning curve which I believe shouldn't hold you back from trying new kinds of levels, I don't fully agree that all-keyboard play is obsolete now and there's clearly a golden mean here which I've gratefully adopted.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 12:16 PM
Treylina
This message has been deleted by Treylina. Reason: wrong thread lololol

JCF Member

PurpleJazz is OFF DA CHARTPurpleJazz is OFF DA CHARTPurpleJazz is OFF DA CHART

Feb 21, 2015, 01:57 PM
Additional input now that I've been playing around with mouse aiming quite a bit recently: I believe that enabling mouse aim is greatly beneficial to the gameplay in Battle-based gamemodes, where being able to aim precisely makes the game more fun. In most other gamemodes, mouse aiming can also be a nice asset. The only circumstance where I'd rather have mouse aiming turned off is in smaller teamgames, especially 2vs2s/3vs3s in CTF, where good communication and quick movement are key to victory. I find it difficult to send CTF codes via teamchat whilst simultaneously fighting off enemies with the mouse.

JCF Member

SAMI is doing well so far

Feb 21, 2015, 09:53 PM
I agree with PurpleJazz.
Btw, if Epic games ever release JJ3D, I would like to see mouse aim and controls just like FPS games of now a days. Would be fun to play multiplayer then.

JCF Member

Slaz is OFF DA CHARTSlaz is OFF DA CHARTSlaz is OFF DA CHART

Feb 28, 2015, 09:59 AM
Yes, I felt mouse aiming was a great addition to JDC's (X)LRS events. It opened up new camp spots even in older levels not designed with mouse aiming in mind.
StrikerTheHedgefox StrikerTheHedgefox's Avatar

JCF Member

StrikerTheHedgefox is doing well so far

Mar 30, 2015, 06:00 AM
For some reason I can't even get mouse aiming to work. I turn it on, and it doesn't accept any input from my mouse at all.

EDIT: NVM, turns out I needed to enable it in the server tab.

I have a suggestion for mouse aiming though, I think your character should face left or right depending on which way you're aiming. (So you're not shooting out of your butt.) If you're moving and shooting in a particular direction, make the running animation face that direction as well. (And maybe reverse the animation so it looks less like moonwalking)