Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » General Jazz Jackrabbit Talk

What's wrong with my reviews on this site?

Blaze The Movie Fan

JCF Member

Blaze The Movie Fan has disabled reputation

Jan 12, 2016, 01:09 PM
What's wrong with my reviews on this site?

My avarage helpfulness is negative when it comes to my reviews.

I stated my honest opinion on the levels "Far Out Finished!" and "Rabbit City 2", but my review for Far Out Finished got 2 unhelpful ratings and my review for Rabbit City 2 got unhelpful score as well, and nobody explained to me yet why these reviews are bad. So I'm hoping people will explain to me in this thread why these reviews are bad.

For your convinence here are links to said reviews:

http://www.jazz2online.com/downloads...-out-finished/
http://www.jazz2online.com/downloads/7601/rabbitcity-2/

I really don't see the problem with either review. I'm judging these levels mainly by the gameplay. Isn't that what I'm supposed to do?

So yeah, if anyone could tell me what's wrong with these reviews I would appreciate that. I tried my best to make good reviews, and I'm honest about that. It does make sense that I don't understand how the game works since I just came back 3 months after all and am still new to how the game works today.

JCF Member

PurpleJazz is OFF DA CHARTPurpleJazz is OFF DA CHARTPurpleJazz is OFF DA CHART

Jan 12, 2016, 02:33 PM
Some of the things you have praised and critiqued in your review for RabbitCity 2 are weirdly arbitrary.

Why would an abundance of Tuf Turtles be a good thing aside from the fact you consider them your favourite enemy? Why do dead ends supposedly make the levels more fun? What's so exciting about the prospect of having a few mild swear words in a JJ2 episode? Why would shamelessly pasting the Coca-Cola logo into the tileset make the whole upload inherently better, and what impact does this have on the overall theme? What's the big deal with the floppy disks, especially considering that very little in JJ2 actually makes logical sense in the first place?

You're entitled to your own opinions of course, but it always helps to try to back your statements up. Otherwise, it can make it seem as if you're being biased. For the most part, your review barely discusses the upload at all, and instead just cherry picks a few random things that you liked; of which many of these points are just to do with your own particular preferences and not about the actual quality of the upload itself. You're allowed to have tastes for certain aspects of level design, but in future try to justify why specific traits like these make the upload better.

Also, take review helpfulness ratings with a pinch of salt. Often people will down-vote reviews simply because they disagree with them, and not always because they are bad; although often both will be the case if the arguments for a particular rating are weak.
Blaze The Movie Fan

JCF Member

Jan 12, 2016, 02:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleJazz View Post
Some of the things you have praised and critiqued in your review for RabbitCity 2 are weirdly arbitrary.

Why would an abundance of Tuf Turtles be a good thing aside from the fact you consider them your favourite enemy? Why do dead ends supposedly make the levels more fun? What's so exciting about the prospect of having a few mild swear words in a JJ2 episode? Why would shamelessly pasting the Coca-Cola logo into the tileset make the whole upload inherently better, and what impact does this have on the overall theme? What's the big deal with the floppy disks, especially considering that very little in JJ2 actually makes logical sense in the first place?

You're entitled to your own opinions of course, but it always helps to try to back your statements up. Otherwise, it can make it seem as if you're being biased. For the most part, your review barely discusses the upload at all, and instead just cherry picks a few random things that you liked; of which many of these points are just to do with your own particular preferences and not about the actual quality of the upload itself. You're allowed to have tastes for certain aspects of level design, but in future try to justify why specific traits like these make the upload better.

Also, take review helpfulness ratings with a pinch of salt. Often people will down-vote reviews simply because they disagree with them, and not always because they are bad; although often both will be the case if the arguments for a particular rating are weak.
Thank you, to be honest I think I'm gonna take a break from the game Jazz Jackrabbit 2 now asides from working on my next project.

I do acknowledge that I'm not good at reviewing levels, and the negative helpfulness really discourages me from reviewing any more levels, in fact I think I'm gonna stop reviewing levels for at least a week.

JCF Member

Slaz is OFF DA CHARTSlaz is OFF DA CHARTSlaz is OFF DA CHART

Jan 13, 2016, 02:26 AM
Practice makes perfect. Taking a break might clear your mind, but stopping to review as a whole because of some criticism could make the contrary happen.

My style of review isn't the best either. I try to write down in words how I felt during my playthrough and note what I experienced as annoying or off, and what stood out as fun or surprising. Most authors seem to find such a written down experience enough to see where they could improve, while some reviewers wrote down entire design details, some even including screenshots to clear things up.
Blaze The Movie Fan

JCF Member

Jan 13, 2016, 11:13 AM
I have been thinking about it and decided I won't be making any more reviews on this website period.

The main reason for that is because there is no point if I get mostly unhelpful ratings for them.

It's ok, I don't feel bad about not making reviews anymore, in fact it feels great. I think it's better that way. I will still be downloading levels for fun. But I just won't be reviewing them anymore.

Besides I have never been good with rating systems that have numbers, that's why I don't do ratings like that in my reviews.

Thank you PurpleJazz again for pointing out the main problems with the review.

Before anyone takes this post the wrong way, keep in mind that this does not mean I'm quitting this community, far from it. I will still be posting in the threads of my levels, and elsewhere I have something to say, don't worry about that.

Last edited by Blaze The Movie Fan; Jan 14, 2016 at 12:18 PM. Reason: Totally rewrote the post.

JCF Member

PurpleJazz is OFF DA CHARTPurpleJazz is OFF DA CHARTPurpleJazz is OFF DA CHART

Jan 16, 2016, 12:55 AM
I used to get mostly negative feedback on my reviews but these days the feedback is normally positive. You can only hope to gain proficiency in something if you practice it.
Blaze The Movie Fan

JCF Member

Jan 16, 2016, 08:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleJazz View Post
I used to get mostly negative feedback on my reviews but these days the feedback is normally positive. You can only hope to gain proficiency in something if you practice it.
I get your point, but to be honest I don't wanna review any levelpacks anymore. I just wanna play the levels for fun.

Don't worry I'm fine with not reviewing anything, it's my decision and I don't feel bad about it one bit.
Blaze The Movie Fan

JCF Member

Feb 20, 2016, 03:46 AM
I have a question, how cam I improve when it comes to reviews of levels and levelpacks?

I am still done making text reviews of the levelpacks on this website, and I'm not going back to it. However, I am gonna analyze the levels when I make let's plays of them on my YouTube channel. And said let's plays could count as reviews to some extent. So yeah.

JCF Member

Love & Thunder has disabled reputation

Feb 20, 2016, 05:52 AM
Try giving logical reasons for remarks. Such as "This section is too hard because that one platform is too high up" "That's pretty clever to put that item there, because it gives you a second chance should you fall down", or even "Holy crap, someone remembered that some people still play as Jazz!

And if course, if something is your opinion, be sure to not state it as a definite fact: " This is too enclosed. 0/10" vs "I'm not a fan of how enclosed this is."

JCF Member

Mar 27, 2016, 02:55 PM
I have realized something, it was dumb of me to give up reviewing altogether because of the dislikes I got.

Most people on this site have to deal with that when they make full reviews, and I realize that. So yeah, I'm officially gonna go back to reviewing, except I probably will just make quick reviews here like almost everyone else, since there is another place I use to go to detail on the levels, which is my let's plays of course.

JCF Member

DennisKainz is notorious for his worthless posts

Mar 29, 2016, 04:58 AM
Well, all what you people said is right, but ...
Take a look at some of my latest reviews (not the quick ones). I provide some logical reasons to the rating I give, while also describing how playing the level made me feel, and still, I get "0 of 2 users found this a good review".

No, but there must be some troll downvoting other people's reviews in hope that even the last of us JJ2 fans leaves J2O once and for all.

The only thing we can do is take a look at those reviews ourselves, and if they're alright, upvote them ourselves.

I can't do it because my average helpfulness doesn't allow me to, or because admins blocked me from adding to average helpfulness, can't tell exactly.

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

Mar 29, 2016, 05:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisKainz View Post
I can't do it because my average helpfulness doesn't allow me to, or because admins blocked me from adding to average helpfulness, can't tell exactly.
I've enabled this again for you, don't abuse it.