Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » General Jazz Jackrabbit Talk

UNniversary bash 2: Electric Boogaloo

View Poll Results: Interested?
Yay 12 70.59%
Nay 1 5.88%
Maybe 4 23.53%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

JCF Member

Treylina is a forum legendTreylina is a forum legendTreylina is a forum legend

Jul 13, 2016, 07:20 PM
UNniversary bash 2: Electric Boogaloo

So what is the Unniversary you may ask? A casual event that takes you a blast to the past, going through all generations of the bash levels. Duplicates are skipped. It's CTF and battle, but I can do custom versions of those to spice things up. I.e pestillence, roast tag, team battle, team lrs, death CTF, lrs and xlrs. I will even accept silly mutators!

EDIT: Event over. Thanks to all of those who joined. The third Unniversary bash will come by roughly next year, in a new thread.

Jazz Jackrabbit group: https://discord.gg/vZm95tQ

Last edited by Treylina; Aug 15, 2016 at 11:22 AM. Reason: event over

JCF Member

Slaz is OFF DA CHARTSlaz is OFF DA CHARTSlaz is OFF DA CHART

Jul 14, 2016, 04:52 AM
Cool. I see it as a relaxing activity after all the NT & JDC fireworks are over.

JCF Member

Jul 14, 2016, 06:57 AM
Alright, so PJ said he'll be on vacation from the 5th to the 10th of August, so it'll take around after that time.

I will accept plusless players for a while, but once we reach the scripted levels era (which I doubt) or start using mutators or LRS, it'll become plus only.

Also I'd like to recite only the old AB levels are being played. This event is meant to be a nostalgia blast. Though I'll cycle levels this time with enough demand (from different players. Spamming next will not get you far).

I've already done the levellist, since I basically edited from last years one. I also remembered to remove broken versions of maps (the new versions will play the same though, don't worry) or same maps with simply less eyecandy. I might tweak some maps that look wrong in 800x600.

JCF Member

Jul 22, 2016, 02:17 PM
I have now decided the date. The UNniversary will begin on the 12th of August, Friday to the 14th on Sunday. I will extend it for one more day if I get lots of players, but I doubt I will.

Talec

JCF Member

Talec is doing well so far

Jul 23, 2016, 10:45 PM
That sounds amazing, I hope I can make it

JCF Member

Aug 8, 2016, 03:00 PM
Okay, I have an idea...should I shuffle the levellist?

JCF Member

Jelly Jam is doing well so far

Aug 9, 2016, 06:43 AM
Mhmm...nah.

JCF Member

Aug 9, 2016, 05:27 PM
Alright, I did a massive revision of the levellist. I added some levels I accidently left out last year. Also I revised the AB2 list and turns out I had got one of the levels wrong. Ooops.

Also I fixed virtually all levels for 800x600. Except Violets single screen "Towerfall" map because it's too clearly made with 640x480 in mind.

JCF Member

Aug 10, 2016, 11:36 AM
I'll play at least the classic levels in 640x480 anyway. And all of them without mouse aim, well except for Towerfall then.

JCF Member

Aug 11, 2016, 03:58 PM
With it being the 12th in UK time right now, I'd thought it'd help to be pedantic and say it'll start on 4:00PM BST

JCF Member

Aug 12, 2016, 06:42 AM
Alright, for further levellist testing and fixing purposes, I have delayed the event beginning to 5:30pm BST. I got out of bed later than I was meant to..

EDIT: IT BEGINS

Last edited by Treylina; Aug 12, 2016 at 10:36 AM.

JCF Member

Aug 13, 2016, 10:44 AM
The "event" is going on relatively smoothly and we didn't manage to get through all maps (And my doubt of getting through all maps is the same for the battle maplist too), so I thought I'd make a strawpoll for extending it one more day: http://www.strawpoll.me/10984404 Please vote! If I get no/barely any votes on yes, it won't be extended.

In other news, I decided there will be another one next year, but the date might not be the same (I'd like it to be in July if there's no JDC going on).

Some other things planned for the 3rd Unniversary bash are;

1. Removing very poor quality maps. I'll keep the small ones because they finish quick though (and are good for a laugh).
2. Fixing all level bugs that cause players to get stuck.

JCF Member

Aug 14, 2016, 08:06 AM
Alright, I have decided to extend it by one more day to August the 15th BST. We'll be starting off by finishing the rest of the CTF list, then battle. After that, I'm willing to cycle to any bash map until the event is over.

JCF Member

Roobar is an asset to this forum

Aug 14, 2016, 01:43 PM
Here are my 50 cents, given that I don't know much about you guys, neither am aware of the activities here.

I decided to download JJ2+ and to give it a try. Haven't played multiplayer for more than 10 years. First I turned on the new 800x600 mode. Then played plenty of cool maps I have never played before. It was all "fun and games" until Treylina started to play. To put it simply you cannot kill Treylina. And CTF was the worst. The opposite of Treylina team never won. He/she never took even a single hit. And there was lag or something, even though the ping was low.

Anyways, after several multiplayer levels, I came to the conclusion that the only people still playing multiplayer are pros with crazy skillz. That's kind of a letdown for new players I think. Or maybe it was event intended for pros.

JCF Member

Aug 14, 2016, 01:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiivn View Post
Here are my 50 cents, given that I don't know much about you guys, neither am aware of the activities here.

I decided to download JJ2+ and to give it a try. Haven't played multiplayer for more than 10 years. First I turned on the new 800x600 mode. Then played plenty of cool maps I have never played before. It was all "fun and games" until Treylina started to play. To put it simply you cannot kill Treylina. And CTF was the worst. The opposite of Treylina team never won. He/she never took even a single hit. And there was lag or something, even though the ping was low.

Anyways, after several multiplayer levels, I came to the conclusion that the only people still playing multiplayer are pros with crazy skillz. That's kind of a letdown for new players I think. Or maybe it was event intended for pros.
I take breaks every now and then. I'm certainly not a top player though (unless you count me as the top Lori or something). I'm suprised you didn't complain about Jety wiping everyone in battle. That's even tougher.

It's true that the skill level of the active playerbase has increased though, which makes JJ2 tough(er) to get into for not so skilled players.

However...I felt like you missed a point of the bash. That is getting together and chatting. Not winning.

I'm female fyi. Not so important but now you know

JCF Éminence Grise

Violet CLM has disabled reputation

Aug 14, 2016, 04:06 PM
Quote:
Anyways, after several multiplayer levels, I came to the conclusion that the only people still playing multiplayer are pros with crazy skillz.
This is the point of yours that I don't get. If you observed one player playing well, how does that generalize to the others being pros?

JCF Member

Roobar is an asset to this forum

Aug 15, 2016, 08:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet CLM View Post
This is the point of yours that I don't get. If you observed one player playing well, how does that generalize to the others being pros?
Well, of course not everyone is a pro. But I said that because after I was rekt by Treylina, I decided to try another server. And I think it was called Puke Nukem Tests. That... amazed me even more!!! I mean wow! These were insanely hard levels and there were a lot of people going through them like they walk in the park. They maneuvered through tight and long obstacles without making mistakes. And I was like "Oh! So that's what the active JJ2 players are doing these days".
And I spend a few hours playing (more like struggling) through them, trying to figure them out. Eventually I learned some new moves and ways to deal with these insanely hard levels and made progress. So yeah. There you go. Not everyone, but mostly pros.

JCF Member

Aug 15, 2016, 08:58 AM
Well, we went out with a bang playing silly levels then abusing cheat codes in Single Player the last minute. Thanks to those who joined, and I hope to make next years a more lively (by advertising earlier) and fun one!

I infact did get some oldies who were not around AB18, so I thought it was worth it.

Quote:
Well, of course not everyone is a pro. But I said that because after I was rekt by Treylina, I decided to try another server. And I think it was called Puke Nukem Tests. That... amazed me even more!!! I mean wow! These were insanely hard levels and there were a lot of people going through them like they walk in the park. They maneuvered through tight and long obstacles without making mistakes. And I was like "Oh! So that's what the active JJ2 players are doing these days".
And I spend a few hours playing (more like struggling) through them, trying to figure them out. Eventually I learned some new moves and ways to deal with these insanely hard levels and made progress. So yeah. There you go. Not everyone, but mostly pros.
Tests require a lot of time investment to get good at. When I started those, I even struggled at levels from old tests that were considered easy. The experienced players who don't play tests usually play CTF..or don't play much JJ2 at all. Tests were more of a thing back then for a while, but I think most got bored or moved on.

JCF Éminence Grise

Violet CLM has disabled reputation

Aug 15, 2016, 09:53 AM
This event was a lot of fun and it was nice seeing some (if not all) of those levels again. Thanks for doing this, Trey!

wiivn: To be fair, tests are very much their own animal. Their skillset is different, their userbase is different, and they're just much less admittant to casual play than standard battle/ctf/whatever servers. I think if you hang out in other non-test servers, you'll certainly run into people who are genuinely good at the game, like Trey, but also people at a variety of other skill levels and/or dedication.

JCF Member

Aug 16, 2016, 07:36 AM
I'm sure that if you play Battle and CTF in public servers such as Sals Impractical Server for a while, you eventually come across someone with a similar skill level (as in, not pro). But yeah, the majority of those hanging out in the duel servers who actually seek out apponents will be considerably more dedicated to skills.

For the event, I'd say it was a big success. Like Trey said, enough oldies joined on friday and saturday night. I dare to say there were more irregular players attending the UB than this year's AB. Next UB should definitely be in either the winter holidays or summer! Also, I loved playing old AB maps I rarely ever played in. Saying it subsequently, kind of missed old maps in this years AB list.