PDA

View Full Version : I hate Christmas.

Krezack
Dec 25, 2004, 03:26 AM
I hate greed. One side of family is awesome to be with. Other side, no way, man (well, half of them at least).

I don't hate Christmas, idealistically, just the problems it causes.

DanYjel
Dec 25, 2004, 03:40 AM
i hate christmas too. stress, xmas trees, carols... and, presents... christmas isnt only time when i can buy something for somebody else. everybody, help me with killin santa!

Olsen
Dec 25, 2004, 03:41 AM
I Love christmas!

Krezack
Dec 25, 2004, 04:01 AM
Uh, I was more looking for, you know, a discussion of the psychology and philosophy behind Crhistmas, both traditionally and currently.

Olsen
Dec 25, 2004, 04:49 AM
Ok :P

White Rabbit
Dec 25, 2004, 07:02 AM
We hardly celebrate Christmas...we just ride the bandwagon. :p No presents, no strees, no carols, no trees, no decorations and NO CLEANING UP AFTER THE PARTY IS OVER. Christmas isn't bad...or at least it didn't use to be like this. I blame the Americans..they commercialized Christmas. :p

Lama
Dec 25, 2004, 07:07 AM
Uh, I was more looking for, you know, a discussion of the psychology and philosophy behind Crhistmas, both traditionally and currently.

You'll probably get a good answer from people who have experienced or analyzed (but do not celebrate) Christmas. If I have to name some names (I don't know if they would reply or if they celebrate Christmas except for The Tick), they would be (naturally, the list of intelligent people isn't limited to this): Spaztic, Fx, Kaz, Link, Monolith, Paul, Bluez, Trafton, KRSplat, Derby, Enigma and FQuist.

My humble opinion:

Regardless of the occasion, if the families do not get along to begin with, it will not be an enjoyable experience.

Case in point:

Half of the other side of the family is not awesome to be with. Even if it's Hannukah or just a family reunion, if the members of the undesirable side of the family are not awesome to be with during Christmas, they most probably also won't be awesome to be with in the aforementioned events.

So, in summary, you shouldn't single out or blame Christmas because other family events during other occasions will also most likely turn out to be the same; you cannot say that just because it's Hannukah everybody will somehow magically be awesome to be with.

The point? It's their attitudes. If they (the half of the other side that isn't awesome to be with) didn't behave the way they do on Christmas, there wouldn't be any problems; you can't say they have no free will or choice with the way they behave.

Btw, I know you are not Jewish; you make that clear in your signature.

P.S. Sorry for the possible excessive use of "awesome to be with" and "half of the other side." :cool:

Tubz
Dec 25, 2004, 11:22 AM
You'll probably get a good answer from people who have experienced or analyzed (but do not celebrate) Christmas. If I have to name some names (I don't know if they would reply or if they celebrate Christmas except for The Tick), they would be (naturally, the list of intelligent people isn't limited to this): Spaztic, Fx, Kaz, Link, Monolith, Paul, Bluez, Trafton, KRSplat, Derby, Enigma and FQuist.

My humble opinion:

Regardless of the occasion, if the families do not get along to begin with, it will not be an enjoyable experience.

Case in point:

Half of the other side of the family is not awesome to be with. Even if it's Hannukah or just a family reunion, if the members of the undesirable side of the family are not awesome to be with during Christmas, they most probably also won't be awesome to be with in the aforementioned events.

So, in summary, you shouldn't single out or blame Christmas because other family events during other occasions will also most likely turn out to be the same; you cannot say that just because it's Hannukah everybody will somehow magically be awesome to be with.

The point? It's their attitudes. If they (the half of the other side that isn't awesome to be with) didn't behave the way they do on Christmas, there wouldn't be any problems; you can't say they have no free will or choice with the way they behave.

Btw, I know you are not Jewish; you make that clear in your signature.

P.S. Sorry for the possible excessive use of "awesome to be with" and "half of the other side." :cool:

Yeah, you left about a good 200 out.

Christmas is all about Jesus, and the birth of him. While Santa Clause is another story.

Krezack
Dec 25, 2004, 08:26 PM
Suppose there is some set, X, which is a subset of set Y. Call set Y 'extended family'.

Suppose the majority of elements from set Y avoid half of the elements from set X, but then suppose that another unnamed subset of set Y mingles freely and attempts to celebrate Christmas with set X. This unnamed set fails. Was it incorrect for the unnamed set to try?

Lama
Dec 25, 2004, 10:06 PM
Suppose there is some set, X, which is a subset of set Y. Call set Y 'extended family'.

Suppose the majority of elements from set Y avoid half of the elements from set X, but then suppose that another unnamed subset of set Y mingles freely and attempts to celebrate Christmas with set X. This unnamed set fails. Was it incorrect for the unnamed set to try?

I personally do not think that it is incorrect for set Z (name I assigned to the unnamed subset of set Y) to try but it doesn't change the fact that Christmas should not be singled out simply because if the attitudes of the majority of elements from set Y do not change, it'll probably be the same scenario in other similar occasions.

Edit: Added "be"

Krezack
Dec 26, 2004, 03:38 AM
That is true.

MoonBlazE
Dec 26, 2004, 03:53 AM
Christmas is a tradition that reminds us of who we are and what we came from. While I cannot speak for every country, here in Denmark we keep Christmas with joy as it's the only time of the year where we dance and sing like in the old times, along with our family and friends.

I think greed is a silly excuse to hate Christmas. If you really are so upset about greed, then do something about it by showing the opposite attitude: Give away and make other people happy. Christmas is the time of the year where every single good doing counts.

Krezack
Dec 26, 2004, 04:12 AM
WRONG.

EVERY time of year counts. I do good things and charitable things all the way throughout the year. It annoys me to no end when people are suddenly nicer at Christmas. It should be a time of enlightenment, not temporary personality change.

MoonBlazE
Dec 26, 2004, 04:15 AM
Which is why you make a promish at new year to act better next year and stop being such a negative Krezack.

^________________________________^

++Positivity

Krezack
Dec 26, 2004, 04:20 AM
There's often confusion between realism and cynicism. But maybe that's neither here nor there.

Fine, positive it is.

Tubz
Dec 26, 2004, 10:33 AM
Which is why you make a promish at new year to act better next year and stop being such a negative Krezack.

^________________________________^

++Positivity

And Cooba, and just about everybody from the ROTC message board...

Stijn
Dec 29, 2004, 04:04 AM
Suppose you wouldn't relate everything to maths.

Anyway, here in the Netherlands we have a great alternative for christmas (at least some parts of it): Sinterklaas.

Krezack
Dec 29, 2004, 04:33 AM
OK. I'm supposing that. And?

MoonBlazE
Dec 29, 2004, 04:53 AM
Spread love! Spread Christmas! Love the Christmas!

<font color="red" size="50"><3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3</font>

Odin
Dec 29, 2004, 01:58 PM
I hate Christmas.

I don't hate Christmas

AWW SNAP

Kaz
Dec 30, 2004, 03:54 PM
<S>Actually, that first one was mine ;|, Odin.</S>

Derivative: I completely agree, Christmas should be somewhere in the spring or summer.

The best thing I can say to this problem is that it goes away (hopefully) as you get older. Then people are more civilized, or you have more of a choice to not be with them. Otherwise, as Lama already said most of this, it's not just Christmas. However, Christmas is probably the biggest one thanks to religious ties and high tradition ratings.

Right now I hate this time of season. We went out shopping to the mall where I'd never go, but I'm supposed to be a poser right now and like it... and that's pretty much it. The season is mind-numbing. The lights are pretty, but they're only lights and only for more advertisement. Perhaps I also face the same problem as few would even speak to me at the social gathering and I've found a sudden hatred for a certain part of the family by how much of preppy brats their children have become.
<S>
(Sorry Lama, I failed ;P, but at least I don't have a livejournal)</S>

Lama
Dec 30, 2004, 09:00 PM
<S>Actually, that first one was mine ;|, Odin.</S>

Derivative: I completely agree, Christmas should be somewhere in the spring or summer.

The best thing I can say to this problem is that it goes away (hopefully) as you get older. Then people are more civilized, or you have more of a choice to not be with them. Otherwise, as Lama already said most of this, it's not just Christmas. However, Christmas is probably the biggest one thanks to religious ties and high tradition ratings.

Right now I hate this time of season. We went out shopping to the mall where I'd never go, but I'm supposed to be a poser right now and like it... and that's pretty much it. The season is mind-numbing. The lights are pretty, but they're only lights and only for more advertisement. Perhaps I also face the same problem as few would even speak to me at the social gathering and I've found a sudden hatred for a certain part of the family by how much of preppy brats their children have become.
<S>
(Sorry Lama, I failed ;P, but at least I don't have a livejournal)</S>

No problem, man. I assume that you gave your honest opinion and at least you didn't go blaming only Christmas.

Lama
Dec 30, 2004, 09:06 PM
AWW SNAP

Good point. Saying "I hate Christmas" then saying "I don't hate Christmas" in the same post does seem pretty contradictory. :lol:

Kaz
Dec 30, 2004, 11:13 PM
I thought it was more of an exaggerated topic-line to help it not sink down with no replies. Eh, whatever.

NinJazz
Dec 30, 2004, 11:47 PM
christmas is cool!