PDA

View Full Version : Triggers

Baggers
Apr 22, 2005, 02:02 AM
Hey there people, im just doing some more research for my game and seeing what else i need to do, and i started thinking about triggers.
Would you mind posting all the different kinds of things you can use triggers for, and how you use them, their properties etc.
It means I can try and re-create them a little more acuratly and when the level editor comes out i wont have "but wheres that function i need ?" !

Thanks in advance

WvA
Apr 22, 2005, 04:24 AM
i learned how to use triggers here: http://howtojcs.zeepost.nl/

I have maked an level where you need to get a door open. To get the door open you need to find 2 clouds and touch them. 1 cloud opens the first tile and the second one the second tile. If you know how it works its very easy.

I dont like trigger crates, why should something open if you kick a crate? :mad:

I just use the tileset to get for example a switch, than i make it so that if you touch it somewhere a door opens, I though it even was possible to change the switch at the same time (from on to off for example)

Tik
Apr 22, 2005, 04:36 AM
I dont like trigger crates, why should something open if you kick a crate? :mad: It's something tangible that you have to interact with in a special way in order to activate. That's nice.

Baggers, I would suggest <a href="http://www.jazz2online.com/jcsref/">jcsRef</a> for your JCS needs. You probably could have discovered this yourself with a little browsing.

Baggers
Apr 22, 2005, 05:00 AM
Thanks people

Spaztic: You probably could have discovered this yourself with a little browsing
Sorry i'll be a bit more explorative before posting next time. The site you posted really did the job though thanks.

LittleFreak
Apr 22, 2005, 05:06 AM
The thing is that he doesn't have JCS, because he downloaded JJ2.

There are five Trigger events.

1. Trigger Crate

That metal box which you can stomp to open doors.

Parameters:

Trigger ID: sets the ID of the trigger that is activated when you stomp the crate.

2. Trigger Zone

Invisible event which activates triggers when touched. Wasn't used in the original game, so don't seek for it.

Parameters:

Switch: Was meant to make a switch option (touch it ones to activate a trigger, touch it again to deactivate it) but it doesn't work.
Onoff: This one sets if a trigger is activated or deactivated.
Trigger ID: sets the ID of the trigger that is activated when you touch the Trigger Zone event.

3. Trigger Rock

This one is used for the falling rocks in the jungle levels. Once you touch this invisible event, the rock with the right ID falls down.

Paramters:

Rock ID: sets the ID of the rock that falls down when you touch the Trigger Rock event.

4. Trigger Scenery

This is the actual event which gets activated by a trigger crate or zone (example: once you break a trigger crate a door opens, the door has the trigger scenery event on it)

Parameters:

Trigger ID: sets the ID of the Trigger Scenery event. If the ID is 1 and the ID of a crate is 1 too, breaking the crate will activate this Trigger.

5. Rotating Rock

The rock from the jungle levels, falls down once activated.

Parameters:

Y-Speed: I'm not sure.
X-Speed: I'm not sure either. I think both set the speed on which the rocks are moving once activated.
Rock ID: sets the ID of the Rotating Rock event. If the ID is 1 and the ID of a Trigger Rock event is 1 too, touch the Trigger Rock event will activate the Rock.

I hope this helps, this is all the info I could get.

Baggers
Apr 22, 2005, 05:15 AM
Woe, thanks...but before i become a hate figure I did not download Jazz2...i bought it at a carboot on a cd which seems to have been sold with a piece of hardware hence this screen as i exit.

http://www.unseenconcept.net/JazzJackRabbit/OEMExit.jpg

But thanks for the help, much appretiated !

LittleFreak
Apr 22, 2005, 05:38 AM
Oops, I'm sorry, I thought OEM was only available at the internet. ^___^;;,

I thought it was illegal, I really wonder where you got that CD from. =o

cooba
Apr 22, 2005, 05:47 AM
I really wonder where you got that CD from. =obought it at a carboot on a cd which seems to have been sold with a piece of hardware&nbsp;

LittleFreak
Apr 22, 2005, 05:48 AM
The thing is, if OEM is illegal to have (which I thought it is), why is it on such a CD? =o

Tik
Apr 22, 2005, 05:59 AM
The thing is, if OEM is illegal to have (which I thought it is), why is it on such a CD? =oThe CD was given out especially by Epic to the people who bought that hardware. For them it's perfectly legal. For everyone else it's technically illegal but Epic doesn't care or even support the game anymore.

Baggers
Apr 22, 2005, 06:02 AM
God knows !...if its a printed label then its not like any ive seen as the characters (spaz and jazz) are shiny

OK...im slightly more interested, one site said that jazz2 came out in 1998..is that correct...because my cd says 1997 on it.

LittleFreak
Apr 22, 2005, 06:22 AM
It came out officially in 1998 I think, but maybe the OEM you have is from 1997.

cooba
Apr 22, 2005, 06:29 AM
I suppose your version isn't v1.00g, Baggers.

In other words, http://xlm.ncmv.net/forum/Themes/classic/images/post/cheesy.gif

Baggers
Apr 22, 2005, 06:32 AM
Nope it just says version 1.00
Wow...i have a rather rare item here !

White Rabbit
Apr 22, 2005, 08:16 AM
Oh dear, the 2 in Jazz Jackrabbit was blue in the OEM?!

@Baggers There are some useful articles in J2o concerning triggers (namely one by Evilmike and one by Violet). Violet's article involves slightly different/advanced stuff.

Baggers
Apr 22, 2005, 08:21 AM
White rabbit : Only on exit for some reason...
I'll definately have a look if and when i need them, thanks !

Baggers
Apr 23, 2005, 05:03 AM
Oh for anyone interested still about this weird cd here are some piccies of it.
(Warning they are rather big !)

http://www.unseenconcept.net/JazzJackRabbit/JazzCD/JazzCD1.jpg

http://www.unseenconcept.net/JazzJackRabbit/JazzCD/JazzCD2.jpg

http://www.unseenconcept.net/JazzJackRabbit/JazzCD/JazzCD3.jpg

LittleFreak
Apr 23, 2005, 05:46 AM
Interesting. Thanks for the pics. ;)

cooba
Apr 23, 2005, 06:23 AM
Looks like your OEM is pre-v.1.00g. Very neat.

<s>I demand a JJ2 exchange!!</s>

Radium
Apr 23, 2005, 07:30 AM
I one of those somewhere, I think...

*shuffles through pile of CDs*

Sciz CT
Apr 23, 2005, 07:56 AM
To my knowledge, this is the first time a pre-1.00g copy has surfaced. Mind taking some in-game screenshots?

Baggers
Apr 23, 2005, 08:36 AM
yeah it says in the main menu that its 1.00h....not sure if anyones seen it before i'll get some piccies up soon.

n00b
Apr 23, 2005, 08:44 AM
I think that 1.00h is a rarer version of the OEM for someone has mentioned it before.

cooba
Apr 23, 2005, 08:47 AM
Okay, so 1.00h officialy comes before 1.00g.

Baggers
Apr 23, 2005, 09:10 AM
Ok here are a few pics, dont know if youll see anything unusual in them...to me its all perfectly normal !
http://www.unseenconcept.net/JazzJackRabbit/OEMJazzPics.zip

cooba
Apr 23, 2005, 09:16 AM
Bahbah you captured the typical OEM differences. =(

I have seen that Jungle tileset varies a bit from the retail version's, take a pic from that.

White Rabbit
Apr 23, 2005, 11:40 AM
And show us what the old electroblaster/disc thrower can do! Can it go through walls? Does it go through destruct blocks without exploding? What does it do the enemies? Stuff like that. Are these purple pellets available? (Replacement for pepperspray, I think).

Baggers
Apr 23, 2005, 12:13 PM
Yep they deffinately are, the pellets go through crates and enemies without stopping, so you can take out multiple at a time...ill have to experiment with destruct walls but i dont think so...ill get some pics in a few hours!

White Rabbit
Apr 23, 2005, 12:15 PM
... Epic should've kept that as gun 0 and THEN made electroblasters

DoubleGJ
Apr 23, 2005, 12:48 PM
Hmmm. Like Plasma Beam in Metroid games. I wish they kept it, too.

LittleFreak
Apr 23, 2005, 12:53 PM
Just the typical differences from the official version:

-different gems
-slightly different textured background in Carrotus
-episode screen has only four episodes instead of six (in the official version Home Cooked Levels and Shareware Demo get added)
-version 1.00h showed in the menu

Violet CLM
Apr 23, 2005, 01:11 PM
You people have, like, no eyes. There are more OEM-final differences in those screenshots than have been mentioned, but still everything shown there is identical to 1.00g.
I've seen that CD being auctioned on ebay but the scans were never big enough to see the "1.00" part.
And show us what the old electroblaster/disc thrower can do! Can it go through walls? Does it go through destruct blocks without exploding? What does it do the enemies? Stuff like that.
The blade gun has no special powers at all, except I think it can probably destroy speed blocks. It is nothing more than a blaster that does more damage.
Are these purple pellets available? (Replacement for pepperspray, I think).
Purple and orange. And they should be available, seeing as they're in g.

White Rabbit
Apr 23, 2005, 02:04 PM
But in an old screenshot on www.jazzjackrabbit.com you see the blade gun going through regular ammo destruct blocks in the first Medivo lvl.

Violet CLM
Apr 23, 2005, 03:03 PM
No, you see it hitting one destruct block, not actively going through anything. It's just that you'd expect a blade gun to have some sort of special power like that.