PDA

View Full Version : JJ2 uses way too much CPU power

Hybrid
May 3, 2005, 05:38 PM
Ok, so I run JJ2 or JCS and its using 100% of my CPU. Is there any way I can limit the CPU usage? If im using JCS, media player wont have enough power to run and it causes problems. BTW my cpu isn't slow and I've run it on two different systems.

System 1:
AMD Athlon Xp 3200+
1 gb ddr 400
geforce 5700 le 256 mb

System 2:
Celeron 1000 mhz
384 mb sdram
geforce 4 mx 440

Murderbeam
May 3, 2005, 06:46 PM
Get a better computer. Simply said, Can you even buy a new one?

Bobby aka Dizzy
May 3, 2005, 06:52 PM
Yeah, not really sure why that is - jj2 forces a lot of my applications to slow down drastically for no reason. I have to minimize it for a few seconds and hope I don't time out to get things done.

Hybrid
May 3, 2005, 07:27 PM
Get a better computer. Simply said, Can you even buy a new one?
Dude, I have a Xp 3200 with a gig of Ram. :P It runs Doom 3 decent. Heres a screenshot.
http://img112.echo.cx/img112/595/computerpic8jx.jpg

Link
May 3, 2005, 07:41 PM
You can adjust the priority of a running process, and that usually lowers the CPU usage. Find jazz2.exe in the process list and right-click to select its priority.

Hybrid
May 3, 2005, 07:51 PM
You can adjust the priority of a running process, and that usually lowers the CPU usage. Find jazz2.exe in the process list and right-click to select its priority.
That doesn't work :( An old game like this shouldn't use so much cpu power! I wouldn't use that much constantly even in a high performance 3d game. Look at my specs and you will see that its not my pc, its jazz2.exe.
http://img145.echo.cx/img145/2316/cpu21990bz.jpg

Monolith
May 3, 2005, 08:08 PM
It is normal for JJ2 to use all available CPU power, because that it how it was programmed. No matter how fast your processor is, it'll use it. And as far as I know, there is nothing you can do about it. But so long as you have a fast processor, there shouldn't be any problem with JJ2 slowing down other applications.

If you really are concerned about CPU usage, then you can set the Jazz2.exe process on a lower priority. To do that, open up Task Manager, go into the Processes tab, find Jazz2.exe, right-click on it, go to Set Priority, and set it to Below Normal. JJ2 still will use all available CPU power, but doing this will give other applications more of a chance to run.

Newspaz
May 4, 2005, 04:23 AM
Heh, I never really noticed this. But I can't say I care. I mean, I have a processor, I might as well let it do something.

Murderbeam
May 4, 2005, 12:41 PM
It might be a Virus that's making that happen. Tried scanning for viruses?

Odin
May 4, 2005, 12:58 PM
It might be a Virus that's making that happen. Tried scanning for viruses?

If only Jazz 2 is being affected, then it's obviously not a virus. Also, it's virii.

Nimrod
May 4, 2005, 04:55 PM
Its not a virus, I have the exact same problem myself (WinXP - Athlon XP 3200+)

I just do what link said, then other programs stop lagging while I play JJ2.

Bobby aka Dizzy
May 4, 2005, 09:55 PM
Any way to set a priority low automatically whenever the application is launched?

Stijn
May 5, 2005, 07:13 AM
Also, it's virii.
You know, Twinsoul was speaking (or typing, for that matter) English. Not Latin. Even when it was Latin, virii is wrong.

Torkell
May 6, 2005, 02:45 AM
A lot of games try to gobble all available CPU and memory. It's just how they're coded.

It's worse when the game runs *at* the CPU speed - then it becomes unplayable on newer processors!

Unhit
May 6, 2005, 10:39 AM
You know, Twinsoul was speaking (or typing, for that matter) English. Not Latin. Even when it was Latin, virii is wrong.

GG

@Topic: I find that very annoying...every time I run JJ2, everything else is slowed down..I can run WC3 and WoW at once, but not WC3 and JJ2 for instacne O_O