PDA

View Full Version : How to get Jazz 1 work on new computers

Mircea
May 25, 2005, 12:20 AM
Getting Jazz Jackrabbit 1 to work on fast computers and / or newest video cards could be very tricky. I'm going to tell you exactly what I did to get Jazz working on my computer, how to get sound on your speakers and how to get rid of the "Runtime 200" error.

First of all, a new problem appears if you have a new video card because of the new drivers. I think that there's a file named "autoexec.nt" missing from the directory "Windows\System32" (this file is missing from my video card driver, I dunno about yours, this is just an example).

Without some files you can't play any MS-DOS games from Windows at all. So, if you receive an error message saying "autoexec.nt is not suitable for MS-DOS" or something like that it means that you don't have the file or it might be corrupt. Copy this file from a friend who has it on his computer or download it from the internet if you can find it. Then, place the file in "C:\Windows\System32". This should solve the problem with the video card driver and allow games to run on it.

Remember, "autoexec.nt" was my case but on other video cards there might be other files with this problem. If it says there's another file missing, seartch for it and put it in the directory where MS-DOS asks you to. But be careful when you're in "System32" and other system directories, you might mess up your system. Make sure you don't delete something and NEVER touch system files (like dll's). If you need to replace a file be really careful.

In case this doesn't solve the problem, put Jazz on a FAT or FAT32 partition, use a Windows 98 startup disk, then go in the directory where you installed Jazz ("cd games\jazz" or "cd games" and "cd jazz" if you have Jazz installed in "Games\Jazz"), than type "Jazz" or "Jazz.exe" and this should work.

But eventually, if your processor is over 200 MHz, it won't. You will get the "Runtime 200" bug (no matter what Operating System you use). For this you need "TPPATCH.exe". You can easily find it on the net. Once you obtain it, put it in the directory where you installed Jazz, than type "tppatch jazz" or "tppatch.exe jazz.exe", or simply drag the Jazz.exe icon over the Tppatch.exe icon (or the other way around, I forgot).

Anyway, this didn't work on my system. So, I did this: I downloaded an already patched version of Jazz Jackrabbit from the internet. And it worked. It worked, but you can't find the full version on the net; just the demo witch contains only one level. Download this demo anyway, than unpack it. Now, you must also have the full version of Jazz that doesn't work on your PC. So, you must have this two items:
1) An unpatched full version of Jazz.
2) An patched demo of Jazz.
Go in the directory with the full version. Select and copy everything (all the files of the game) than go in the directory with the demo and click "paste". Every time the systems asks you if you want to overwith a file, click NO (so you will only paste the levels and you won't replace any other file). Or, the other way around; copy all the files from the demo directory and overwith the ones in the full version of jazz without deleting anything. Now, the game works and it has all the levels.

OK, now i'm going to tell you about sound. Run "Setup.exe" from the game directory and select one of the SoundBlasters. Than select Ultra High Quality. I dunno about your system but on mine the sound doesn't play okay. Try other quality and compatibility setings. If nothing works, select "No Sound" from setup to have Jazz work on the PC-Speaker. If you select something that's not compatible in "Setup.exe" the game won't run so select only "No Sound" or "SoundBlaster".

If you've followed these steps exactly as I told you, Jazz Jackrabbit should be working just fine on your video card and over200 MHz processor. GAMEON and have fun! Please tell me if I made any mistakes and post this in as many places as you can to help everyone get Jazz working on their PC.

Mircea
May 26, 2005, 12:44 AM
Oh! And make "autoexec.nt" read-only or Windows might delete it.

MasterRyu
Jun 17, 2005, 01:34 PM
Those are all fine suggestions and all, but if you have a modern computer, it is much easier (and much more accurate) to just download the DOSBox (http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/news.php?show_news=1) computer emulator. DOSBox emulates a mid-range 486 when run at high cycles on a decent modern computer, and will play most older dos games at a decent clip. You can get the D-Fend user frontend here (http://members.home.nl/mabus/) , and create custom configurations for each game you want to play, then simply double click to play them.

piet
Jun 25, 2005, 12:43 AM
i tried this, it works good tnx
EDIT: MasterRyu's way that is