PDA

View Full Version : Jazz Jackrabbit 2 difficulty mod?

laffer
Aug 11, 2005, 07:39 AM
Is there such a thing? I know that people have made many levels and multiplayer lauchers and stuff like that, but what I'd really like is a patch to up the difficulty in Jazz 2 (by perhaps having 1 or 2 hearts as max or by having the enemies move a little faster.. there are many things that could be done).

LittleFreak
Aug 11, 2005, 07:56 AM
I have not heard of any such mod yet, but you could post your idea in this (http://www.jazz2online.com/jcf/showthread.php?t=13436) thread.

FoxBlitzz
Aug 11, 2005, 10:22 AM
Part of the reason why JJ2 is so easy compared to JJ1 is that JJ2 has too large of a screensize and you can see everything around you, where in JJ1, you can't really see where you're going and you can hit an enemy easily. But the other part you've explained (health, enemies) also contributes to the factor.

Edit: Oops, mistake fixed. Thanks n00b. XD

Anubis
Aug 11, 2005, 10:26 AM
There's no such thing in JJ2.

FoxBlitzz
Aug 11, 2005, 10:31 AM
There's no such thing in JJ2.

What isn't?

LittleFreak
Aug 11, 2005, 10:47 AM
Part of the reason why JJ2 is so easy compared to JJ2 is that JJ2 has too large of a screensize and you can see everything around you

Yes, JJ2 is easy compared to JJ2. d=

I agree.

cooba
Aug 11, 2005, 11:29 AM
If you want a challenge nonetheless, try this (http://www.jazz2online.com/J2Ov2/downloads/info.php?levelID=3685) and this (http://www.jazz2online.com/J2Ov2/downloads/info.php?levelID=272) . Or maybe even this (http://www.jazz2online.com/J2Ov2/downloads/info.php?levelID=2640) if you're desperate.

Radium
Aug 11, 2005, 11:41 AM
Someone should make a program that gives you one HP and limits your ammo to ten or something in Single Player. It seems like it would be possible.

LittleFreak
Aug 11, 2005, 11:42 AM
That would be downright awesome. =D

An alternative is playing in the slowest resolution with capslock on.

cooba
Aug 11, 2005, 11:49 AM
Someone should make a program that gives you one HP and limits your ammo to ten or something in Single Player.And stops giving the player Rapid Fire after they've collected 3 or 5 pickups, too.

laffer
Aug 11, 2005, 01:36 PM
Great ideas guys! Now, can anyone actually do any of this? :)

Sonyk
Aug 11, 2005, 02:42 PM
The easiest way would probably be making a trainer, but to do that you would probably need a fairly good understanding of memory editing.

Which is fairly easy to learn, in fact.

laffer
Aug 11, 2005, 03:42 PM
I'm not going to do it :D
I'm too lazy to learn stuff like that. You guys do it! :p

MSB3000
Aug 11, 2005, 03:57 PM
It would be better to have the source code thing.

blurredd
Aug 11, 2005, 04:02 PM
Hey, I have part of the solution. Death Controller (http://www.jazz2online.com/J2Ov2/downloads/info.php?levelID=1870) by Spazzyman is perfect as you can control how many hearts you have at the start with it (too bad I can't move that program around on my desktop though). It seemed to work from the really short test I did.

Sonyk
Aug 11, 2005, 04:58 PM
I'm too lazy to learn stuff like that. You guys do it! :pHere's a little hint for you...

Telling people to do stuff for you doesn't work here. Unless you offer rewards.

I know this from exiprence, sadly.

n00b
Aug 11, 2005, 05:28 PM
I'm too lazy to learn stuff like that. You guys do it! :p
Ha ha, nice joke. Please tell me you aren't serious. Unless you pay us or do something of equal or greater value for us(For example: Convert the tiles from Maui Mallard into a JJ2 tileset. If thats not 'too much work')

laffer
Aug 11, 2005, 05:53 PM
It was not a joke. I can't program at all!
You guys make it sound like you are doing it for me.. am I really the only one that finds Jazz 2 too easy and would like to see a difficulty mod?

Sonyk
Aug 11, 2005, 05:59 PM
The point here is, that's why you learn to do things, like program (or just use a WYSIWYG program), or download harder levels off of J2O.

n00b
Aug 11, 2005, 06:00 PM
You're not the only one who finds it too easy. If I learn memory hacking(which I've planned on doing for some time now) I may make a difficulty modifier, but I expect something in return.

laffer
Aug 11, 2005, 09:10 PM
What do you mean? Do you want me to pay you? Of course I won't do that, and I can't see any other way to give anything back.. I can't program at all.
Is this the norm in modding, people want stuff back for making a mod? I've never heard of anything like that before.

I don't have time to get into programming either, I have a full time job and a girlfriend. I'm sure you understand :D

LittleFreak
Aug 11, 2005, 11:36 PM
I had warned you. :-l

Well, the utility blur posted should solve it anyway. And if it doesn't you can still download the levelpacks Cooba suggested.

laffer
Aug 12, 2005, 02:23 AM
Thanks to BlurredD I now only have 1 heart max while playing.
But still, the game is way too easy, even with 1 heart only! I mean, the enemies just walk back and forth and stuff and are so very easily avoidable :p
Is there any way to speed up the enemies that do nothing but walk? They're just MUCH too easy as it stands. Or perhaps you could make it so you could only kill them by buttstomping them. That would make it a lot harder.

cooba
Aug 12, 2005, 02:34 AM
But still, the game is way too easy, even with 1 heart only!So try playing the level packs I linked you to.

LittleFreak
Aug 12, 2005, 03:13 AM
You can speed up enemies some way with TNTs in JCS. I've done it before.

You can also prevent yourself from shooting somehow, if you edit your JCS.ini file and include a generator event.

laffer
Aug 12, 2005, 03:19 AM
Cooba, I am going to play those, but first I want to finish Jazz 2 and I would like for it to be harder :p
It's amazing that a game can be this easy on the hardest difficulty level even with 4 hearts removed. This game has got to be one of the easiest ones ever made, it's almost as easy as Big Rigs :D

cooba
Aug 12, 2005, 03:25 AM
You can also prevent yourself from shooting somehow, if you edit your JCS.ini file and include a generator event.Event #216 doesn't show up in JCS no matter how do you edit JCS.ini.

Besides... it wouldn't do much as it prevents any kind of object from spawning, meaning that shooting enemies/bosses will not shoot either.

White Rabbit
Aug 12, 2005, 03:30 AM
laffer, ok, how about getting on multiplayer?

LittleFreak
Aug 12, 2005, 04:10 AM
Or playing on the lowest resolution with capslock on with one heart?

laffer
Aug 12, 2005, 05:24 AM
For some reason I can only choose between 640x480 8 bit and 16 bit.
I'm sure there's very easy way to fix this, but I don't feel like it. It wouldn't feel like Jazz 2 to me in low-res. It would be much better to have it hard in the intended resolution.

And just so everyone knows - I am not requesting anything! I am merely suggesting this as I thought it was a good idea. I realize you will probably need the source code for stuff like this, but at least I got some help (that program that enables me to only have 1 heart at all times).
So as someone told me - we don't like noobs coming here requesting stuff - he has completely misunderstood!

n00b
Aug 12, 2005, 10:54 AM
Laffer that may mean you have the OEM version which means I can not help you at all.
And
"Great ideas guys! Now, can anyone actually do any of this? " Sounds like a request. Despite the fact it's not, it can be interpeted as one.

cooba
Aug 12, 2005, 10:56 AM
Laffer that may mean you have the OEM version which means I can not help you at all.He wouldn't be able to have one heart with Death Controller if he had one of the OEMs.

Newspaz
Aug 12, 2005, 12:06 PM
Ah yes. If he has the OEM, the program I made him probably won't work either.

LittleFreak
Aug 12, 2005, 02:02 PM
Just for clarification, OEM is an earlier beta version. If you downloaded the game, it's possible that you got it.

laffer
Aug 12, 2005, 10:38 PM
I have the original version :)

Also, I did ask if anyone could make it. I didn't realize that was wrong? I didn't expect anyone to, I was just asking as I think having such a patch would be awesome. Also, I didn't mean that this patch was something they make for me, I thought many people would like to have that.

Fawriel
Aug 13, 2005, 01:14 AM
You didn't do anything wrong. It's just a fact that one rarely gets what they request here unless they offer something in return. We are just also a bunch of awful cynics, so many might have a somewhat.. harsh humor. And stuff.

laffer
Aug 13, 2005, 06:11 AM
Btw, when they say something in return, what do they mean? :O
I've said several times that I cannot program at all :p

Derby: Content removal. An unfiltered expression was removed. Avoid words with graphically inappropriate denotations.

Sonyk
Aug 13, 2005, 07:23 AM
That usually means you end up owing another.

Rare programs here are like currency. I could say I'm giving out the J2E maker if someone gives me something in return, and that would probably get a few requests going. (No, I am not giving out the J2E maker under any circumstances.)