PDA

View Full Version : Is #jj2 even related to JJ2?

UNKNOWNFILE
Nov 8, 2005, 07:50 AM
I have posted this because I don't believe that #jj2 on irc.quakenet.org or here (jj2.info) doesn't even relate to the game at all. I am also not fond of the way the ops can treat the users. For example, I once brought up "zomg" in #jj2 and got kicked. The reason: Zomg is a stupid acronym and you should stop it. Well, what about lol, rofl or lmbo?

You might be asking yourself, "Why, according to him, isn't #jj2 even JJ2 related?" The reason is this:

SEX-RELATED TOPICS.

Yes, I couldn't help but notice this. Most of the discussions in #jj2 relate to graphic sex acts, and I find that very disturbing. In fact, most nights on #jj2, I can't even enter the channel without someone typing this:

(insert inappropriate quote here)

I think that this channel should be more family-appropriate, much like these forums. There are links there from this forum, and I'm pretty sure that if some 8-year-old kid went there and someone suddenly brought up (incert inappropriate topic here), he would probably get in trouble.

(I could go on and on about this but I'm stopping here)

Sonyk
Nov 8, 2005, 07:55 AM
You don't have to go there if you dislike it so much, and are free to set up your own channel if you so wish. Even if you got a lot of support on this, it wouldn't make a difference, as the channel is unassociated with this website and forum.

White Rabbit
Nov 8, 2005, 07:56 AM
The current owners and ops of #jj2 have no obligation to make the channel more family-friendly. Yes, so it can be a horrible place to chat at, but at least you don't live there. :p I think a high degree of toleration and self-control is required at #jj2, even if you never do anything wrong.

UNKNOWNFILE
Nov 8, 2005, 07:57 AM
I think the ops could at least kick users for non-personal reasons.

cooba
Nov 8, 2005, 08:02 AM
That is actually why I think #jj2 should not be advertised by the J2O administration.

DoubleGJ
Nov 8, 2005, 08:35 AM
Last time I was on #jj2 I didn't have problems with talking about the game itself. If you don't want to talk about the topics you mention, ignore such discussions.

FireSworD
Nov 8, 2005, 08:36 AM
#jcstalk was created for this reason, go there instead. JJ2's forum should be family oriented enough. What's funny is that #jj2 users (in the past) used complain that this forum has too many strict rules.

Erik
Nov 8, 2005, 08:44 AM
"I lol'd." -Anonymous

MaGoo
Nov 8, 2005, 09:00 AM
I have posted this because I don't believe that #jj2 on irc.quakenet.org or here (jj2.info) doesn't even relate to the game at all. I am also not fond of the way the ops can treat the users. For example, I once brought up "zomg" in #jj2 and got kicked. The reason: Zomg is a stupid acronym and you should stop it. Well, what about lol, rofl or lmfbo?

You might be asking yourself, "Why, according to him, isn't #jj2 even JJ2 related?" The reason is this:

SEX-RELATED TOPICS.

Yes, I couldn't help but notice this. Most of the discussions in #jj2 relate to graphic sex acts, and I find that very disturbing. In fact, most nights on #jj2, I can't even enter the channel without someone typing this:

(insert inappropriate quote here)

I think that this channel should be more family-appropriate, much like these forums. There are links there from this forum, and I'm pretty sure that if some 8-year-old kid went there and someone suddenly brought up (incert inappropriate topic here), he would probably get in trouble.

(I could go on and on about this but I'm stopping here)

Nobody ever says lmfbo. Go away.

Stijn
Nov 8, 2005, 09:06 AM
#jj2 is not about jj2 but jj2-related, because the channel population consist of people who either have played jj2 or still play it (the majority) or have come there because they know jj2/someone who plays it
There are plenty of jj2-related discussions but not all the time. Guess why? Talking about jj2 24/7 is boring (guss why #jcstalk is dead).
Joing an IRC channel requires some more technical skill than browsing this forum (I've lost count of the community members I had to explain it to) and thus it is in my opinion no risk if links to it are advertised here. Ofcourse, jj2.info is something different.
The sex talk is mostly in a mocking way and if not, go away or accept that sex can actually be a topic of chat. I don't see how it can be disturbing.
The #jj2 topic has nothing to with the topic of the current chat (when there are several active users there are usually also several active chats, not always related) and is 90% of the time just a joke or at least not meant seriously.
#jj2 is not in any way related to J2O apart from the fact that people who tend to come here also tend to come to #jj2 and some of the ops there are mods/admins here.
I hate your guts

blurredd
Nov 8, 2005, 09:19 AM
On the poll, there should've been an option that says: "No, and I don't prefer it the way it is." But then again, if it was strictly about JJ2 then that channel probably would have died years ago.

You're best off joining a channel like #jcstalk, like FS said. It doesn't help that #jcstalk isn't even a choice on the jj2.info site though.

The SlaYeR
Nov 8, 2005, 09:30 AM
It's funny how most people that dislike #jj2 are the kind of people that can't take a joke.

Link
Nov 8, 2005, 09:37 AM
I agree with Stijn basically. #jj2 is intended as a place for the JJ2 community to socialize freely, not to necessarily talk about JJ2. Consider that on the JCF, Miscellaneous Stuff has more than four times as many posts as General Jazz Talk.

I do agree with you about the ops though. They shouldn't kick you for things like that. But this has already been discussed ad nauseam - the best solution is probably to avoid going there when <s>iC</s>mean ops are around.

Edit: SlaYo's comment greatly disturbs me.

LittleFreak
Nov 8, 2005, 09:40 AM
The #jj2 topic has nothing to with the topic of the current chat (when there are several active users there are usually also several active chats, not always related) and is 90% of the time just a joke or at least not meant seriously.
(-)

I prefer it the way it is.

[Inappropiate sexual content removed. Please never post such things here. I'd think you'd know that. - FQuist]

R3ptile
Nov 8, 2005, 09:42 AM
More like the inactive community, Link. They kick you when you talk about JJ2 while one of the ops doesn't want to, too.

And #JCSTalk is more JCS related and almost always empty. Talk at #JJ2WC instead :)

JelZe GoldRabbit
Nov 8, 2005, 09:43 AM
I think he's stressing the fact (mildly put) we've had a lot of discussions about these... "private matters" in the past. Which is o so true, given most of us are teenagers, like to joke about such things and just get lost in mindless, pointless chitchat and whatnot.

Don't get me wrong, I have some issues when it comes to these private matters, especially coming from teens (blame high school bully trauma), but as my Chicagal (Esme) keeps telling me:

"They're only kids" (meaning they just can't help themselves).

UF, if you don't like what the people are talking about, just go away and stop torturing yourself watching them talk about genitals or anything associated with it.

- JelZe GoldRabbit =:3

P.S. I'm not amused with people voting "I hate your guts and would like you banned", but that's just me. So I can't take a joke like that, sue me.

The SlaYeR
Nov 8, 2005, 10:02 AM
I agree with Stijn basically. #jj2 is intended as a place for the JJ2 community to socialize freely, not to necessarily talk about JJ2. Consider that on the JCF, Miscellaneous Stuff has more than four times as many posts as General Jazz Talk.

I do agree with you about the ops though. They shouldn't kick you for things like that. But this has already been discussed ad nauseam - the best solution is probably to avoid going there when <s>iC</s>mean ops are around.

Edit: SlaYo's comment greatly disturbs me.

I did not mean to offend you.
Please note that I said 'Most' people. Not all people.

I often see that a person gets annoyed after a kick that was ment as a joke.
'THEY KICK WITHOUT REASON, LETS START HATIIIIIIIING!!!'
If they rejoin and just go with it, they tend to be accepted and everything is well.
People often make a big deal out of this and that leads to feelings of hates towards the channel. Newcomers are often kicked. It's a trial bye fire, so to speak ;).

Stijn
Nov 8, 2005, 10:06 AM
JelZe, the "I hate your guts" option was as far as I understood a pun to a poll shaney once made. And uhm, how does talking about sex make you childish (which I suppose is what you meant with your remark about them being just kids)?

LittleFreak, I don't think that was meant seriously :P

R3ptile
Nov 8, 2005, 10:17 AM
'THEY KICK WITHOUT REASON, LETS START HATIIIIIIIING!!!'
makes sense

The SlaYeR
Nov 8, 2005, 10:20 AM
Yes, I wonder who is more mature. The person that dares to discuss everything openly and dares to make a joke or two about the subject. Or the person that is not mature enough to discuss certain subjects and/or respect the fact that others do talk about these subjects.

But that's only my opinion ofcourse.

We do not force anyone to join #jj2 and that will never happend. (Unless someone really deserves to be punished by being send to that horrible place.)
Certain people that could not stand it have left before.
It's your decision.

The SlaYeR
Nov 8, 2005, 10:20 AM
makes sense

It does if you can't take a joke ;).

LittleFreak
Nov 8, 2005, 10:24 AM
I think it goes too far too though. I wouldn't like being new in a channel and getting kicked for no reason.

The SlaYeR
Nov 8, 2005, 10:29 AM
Do you think it's a good enough reason for certain individuals to keep on whining about it. Seriously, most of the people that dislike #jj2 are people that were unwanted in the channel by everyone there.

LittleFreak
Nov 8, 2005, 10:30 AM
Which is... a good reason not to like #jj2.

The SlaYeR
Nov 8, 2005, 10:34 AM
A person is not automatically disliked by everyone.
They have to be really annoying to achieve that.

Think of Conker, Tublear at a certain point, GenEX at a certain point.

LittleFreak
Nov 8, 2005, 10:47 AM
What did GenEx do though? It always seemed to me he was just found annoying by many without any proper reason. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Superjazz
Nov 8, 2005, 10:47 AM
Snooze's fav-channel for sure. O+

I used to see people in that channel who barely had any knowledge what jj2 or none. Though that indeed isn't a valid reason to banish people out of the channel, I disliked that some strangers from very different genre than jj2-people(I mean any who still even take part in anything jj2-related like reply to the jazz-related sub-forums in here), are as ops over there. :mad:

JelZe GoldRabbit
Nov 8, 2005, 10:48 AM
Yes, I wonder who is more mature. The person that dares to discuss everything openly and dares to make a joke or two about the subject. Or the person that is not mature enough to discuss certain subjects and/or respect the fact that others do talk about these subjects.

It wasn't about maturity, you guys, that's why I added "they can't help themselves", it's an analogy ;)

And it's not about maturity (the level depends on opinions anyhow) it's about beliefs. Some people may think talking about sex doesn't belong in a channel like ours, or just get uncomfy, like UF apparently does. This had nothing to do with maturity.

The SlaYeR
Nov 8, 2005, 10:51 AM
Snooze's fav-channel for sure. O+

I used to see people in that channel who barely had any knowledge what jj2 or none. Though that indeed isn't a valid reason to banish people out of the channel, I disliked that some strangers from very different genre than jj2-people(I mean any who still even take part in anything jj2-related like reply to the jazz-related sub-forums in here), are as ops over there. :mad:

Don't diss our ops please, they do a good job.

LittleFreak
Nov 8, 2005, 10:52 AM
By banning people for personal reasons? No.

The SlaYeR
Nov 8, 2005, 10:53 AM
It wasn't about maturity, you guys, that's why I added "they can't help themselves", it's an analogy ;)

And it's not about maturity (the level depends on opinions anyhow) it's about beliefs. Some people may think talking about sex doesn't belong in a channel like ours, or just get uncomfy, like UF apparently does. This had nothing to do with maturity.

Thank you for clearing that up.
It's important that we respect other people's beliefs.
It's not like we talk about sex 24/7. Not at all. But it happends.

The SlaYeR
Nov 8, 2005, 10:54 AM
By banning people for personal reasons? No.

Do you have an example of that?

LittleFreak
Nov 8, 2005, 11:08 AM
No, but that's what people have been saying earlier in this topic. As those probably visit #jj2 more frequently than I do I thought that they'd probably know what they are saying.

The SlaYeR
Nov 8, 2005, 11:08 AM
I'll wait for them to give an example of that then.

Chiyu
Nov 8, 2005, 11:20 AM
To answer the topic title; not really, but they actually do have some people that (still) play the game JJ2 so I guess they overlap a little.

And for what's going on there.. I'll choose Blurred's added option that wasn't included in the poll:
"No, and I don't prefer it the way it is."

The SlaYeR
Nov 8, 2005, 11:39 AM
How would you prefer it?

Link
Nov 8, 2005, 11:58 AM
Do you think it's a good enough reason for certain individuals to keep on whining about it. Seriously, most of the people that dislike #jj2 are people that were unwanted in the channel by everyone there.

Often these people are treated poorly in the first place, and they only start acting in an unwanted or inappropriate way after they are provoked. In fact, provoking users is often done on purpose by people who want to see their reactions. And it just happens that their reactions involve unwanted behaviour. In real life this is called bullying. It's analogous to taunting the kid until he hits you in front of the teacher. Except in #jj2 it's often the teachers doing the taunting.

Grytolle
Nov 8, 2005, 12:07 PM
I think channel is ok...

...What's your deal with sex-discussion anyways? :S

Blackraptor
Nov 8, 2005, 12:16 PM
I like #jj2 the way it is.

And sexual discussions are fun :(

(the truth comes out)

Vegito
Nov 8, 2005, 12:19 PM
The channel can be fun indeed =)
It usually isn't jj2 related, but, for jj2 discussions, you can always go there. and you might even find them there =P
I sometimes don't like the way it is either, but oh well...
the most persons are old jj2 players there.. so, it still has something to do with jj2 on that part too ;P

FQuist
Nov 8, 2005, 01:26 PM
Don't diss our ops please, they do a good job.At times. Far from always.

I think people are free to dislike the style of the ops, too. Some will like a more JCF-like channel, some would like more kicks for random reasons, some would like only serious kicks. Do remember that even the #jj2 ops are divided into different factions about this. I fall into the less random kicks category, and I also would never label (most) people who like other ways of channel administration as humourless.

UF, I'm one of the most regular channel users and I really don't see how you can say the topic of discussion is about sex most of the time. Because it really really isn't.

The SlaYeR
Nov 8, 2005, 01:33 PM
'I disliked that some strangers from very different genre than jj2-people(I mean any who still even take part in anything jj2-related like reply to the jazz-related sub-forums in here), are as ops over there.'

I found that to be slightly unfair. If I understand him correctly. He's saying that he does not think it's correct that several of the ops are not very active on these forums. Why would you dislike that?

FireSworD
Nov 8, 2005, 01:36 PM
You're best off joining a channel like #jcstalk, like FS said. It doesn't help that #jcstalk isn't even a choice on the jj2.info site though.

The solution to the problem mentioned in this topic is to simply cut all ties with #jj2 and the game.

FQuist
Nov 8, 2005, 01:36 PM
True, I guess (although I wouldn't mind having more JJ2-active ops and shift the channel some more to JJ2 talk). I apologise, the second line was more a general reply to the feeling I got from some posts in this thread, and specifically yours. I just wanted to say opinions differ between the ops and that I do not neccessarily agree with remarks about people who do not agree with the current channel culture - I very much would like different opinions by people on that to be respected.

Tik
Nov 8, 2005, 02:49 PM
The solution to the problem mentioned in this topic is to simply cut all ties with #jj2 and the game.First of all, there's no way you can do that. The jj2 community can associate with whatever they please, and that channel is a major meeting place. While a lot of members don't play often anymore, others do, and nearly everyone has come from the game community. Second, as has been stated, restricting it to jj2 discussion only would more likely force many people to abandon the channel out of boredom. There's not exactly much to talk about. Link also stated a good point that even on the JCF the Misc section is way more active than the JJ2-related forums. Just as many JCF members avoid the Misc section because they dislike it, so can they avoid #jj2 for other channels. And last, cutting ties with the game would solve nothing because nothing would change except giving dissidents a vacuous sense of satisfaction.

#jj2 is a much different environment than the JCF and for good reasons. There is an involved culture to get used to that some people simply won't find appealing. These people can just as easily avoid the channel altogether without whining about it. No one denies that some users can get singled out. It's not fair, but it's the way it is. Most people don't have problems getting along in the channel after a little while. If subjects of discussion bother you, don't participate in them. The majority don't seem to mind. People adapt to the channel, not the opposite.

I'm rambling, I feel, but I get sick of people complaining about #jj2 on these forums. They are not together. #jj2 has its own forum if you have complaints, and despite what you think, the ops are usually very reasonable and work towards just solutions.

UNKNOWNFILE
Nov 8, 2005, 05:04 PM
[20:59] *** EvilMike has changed the topic on channel #jj2 to SEX-RELATED TOPIC..

haha :mad:

Sonyk
Nov 8, 2005, 05:22 PM
You're just so easy to make jokes about.

But, I'm going to have to agree with most everything positive said about the ops on #jj2. They're understanding, and they have a sense of humor that can be appreciated if you're mature enough.

That said, I'll have to complain that you're not that good an op.

Monolith
Nov 8, 2005, 06:54 PM
I agree with Sonyk.You don't have to go there if you dislike it so much, and are free to set up your own channel if you so wish. Even if you got a lot of support on this, it wouldn't make a difference, as the channel is unassociated with this website and forum.
And a few points Stijn made.
#jj2 is not about jj2 but jj2-related, because the channel population consist of people who either have played jj2 or still play it (the majority) or have come there because they know jj2/someone who plays it
There are plenty of jj2-related discussions but not all the time. Guess why? Talking about jj2 24/7 is boring (guss why #jcstalk is dead).
Joing an IRC channel requires some more technical skill than browsing this forum (I've lost count of the community members I had to explain it to) and thus it is in my opinion no risk if links to it are advertised here. Ofcourse, jj2.info is something different.
The sex talk is mostly in a mocking way and if not, go away or accept that sex can actually be a topic of chat. I don't see how it can be disturbing.
#jj2 is not in any way related to J2O apart from the fact that people who tend to come here also tend to come to #jj2 and some of the ops there are mods/admins here.
I hate your guts
(not including the last one)

You're best off joining a channel like #jcstalk, like FS said. It doesn't help that #jcstalk isn't even a choice on the jj2.info site though.As of this comment, #JCStalk has been added to the default channel list on jj2.info.

I'm rambling, I feel, but I get sick of people complaining about #jj2 on these forums. They are not together. #jj2 has its own forum if you have complaints, and despite what you think, the ops are usually very reasonable and work towards just solutions.Yep, right here: <a href="http://jj2.madskills.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=3">#JJ2 :: View Form - User Input</a>

It is true that the topic of conversation in #jj2 often is not related to Jazz Jackrabbit, but realize it is up to the users to decide the topic of discussion. Like Feline had been coming in a few days to talk about JCS94, and that gave people something Jazz Jackrabbit related to talk about. If people brought up JJ2 related topics more often in #jj2, then there would more likely be JJ2 related discussions in #jj2. Otherwise, since there's still a bunch of people in the channel to chat with, they are allowed to chat on any other subject. Sometimes subjects related to sex do come up, but I'd say they come up only as often as subjects related to JJ2, which isn't very often.

If a topic comes up that you dislike, you are free to leave the channel. If you would like to bring up another topic, then bring it up and see if anybody else talks about it.

Shorty
Nov 8, 2005, 07:04 PM
#jj2 is a place of love....sexual, nonsexual...it shouldn't be a place of hate..nope.

But I guess I'm biased....I love it :D

Grytolle
Nov 8, 2005, 10:21 PM
Sex is fun... ^^
Edit: I feel I really contributed to the topic here :rolleyes:

JelZe GoldRabbit
Nov 9, 2005, 01:39 AM
Sex is fun... ^^
Edit: I feel I really contributed to the topic here :rolleyes:

Yeah, by scaring off poor UF :lol:

Superjazz
Nov 9, 2005, 01:42 AM
I didn't strictly mean that the ops should be active on the forums, just to be at least still even a little interested of taking part in any jj2-related. But whatever...

And the quote 'reg ;)' is crap. :(

R3ptile
Nov 9, 2005, 02:43 AM
just use #jj2wc for jj2 related conversations from now on :) yayay

Grytolle
Nov 9, 2005, 03:32 AM
Yeah, by scaring off poor UF :lol:Oh, what a shame 8D But we better be nice to him so he doesn't hack this forum too ;(

The SlaYeR
Nov 9, 2005, 06:59 AM
I didn't strictly mean that the ops should be active on the forums, just to be at least still even a little interested of taking part in any jj2-related. But whatever...

And the quote 'reg ;)' is crap. :(

blasphemy!!!!!!!!!!!!!

R3ptile
Nov 9, 2005, 07:18 AM
#JJ2WC is the conclusion of this topic.

FQuist
Nov 9, 2005, 07:35 AM
I do not think it is.

The SlaYeR
Nov 9, 2005, 08:00 AM
Nice try though.

EvilMike
Nov 9, 2005, 09:53 PM
hey guys instead of using #jj2 u should come to #jj2.EviLmIkEzOnE instead and have your conversations there

topic over

UNKNOWNFILE
Nov 10, 2005, 07:36 AM
Oh, what a shame 8D But we better be nice to him so he doesn't hack this forum too ;(

:lol:

Superjazz
Nov 10, 2005, 08:13 AM
Perhaps UF just got angry again when #jj2-people joined to a hotel-server and roasted UF while he was collecting coins for a hotel room. :(

CrimiClown
Nov 10, 2005, 08:18 AM
To answer the topic: No. Nada. Nee. Nein. Non. Njet. Negative. Never. (Can't think of more N's for 'no')

R3ptile
Nov 10, 2005, 08:19 AM
Perhaps UF just got angry again when #jj2-people joined to a hotel-server and roasted UF while he was collecting coins for a hotel room. :(
rofl n1 :lol:

R3ptile
Nov 10, 2005, 08:20 AM
To answer the topic: No. Nada. Nee. Nein. Non. Njet. Negative. Never. (Can't think of more N's for 'no')
Nah.

CrimiClown
Nov 10, 2005, 08:22 AM
I knew I forgot some...