PDA

View Full Version : Battle Server Suggestions

blurredd
Jun 30, 2006, 08:58 PM
This is the official JCF thread where people can make suggestions for the Battle Server. Any well-written suggestion will be taken into consideration. Non-productive arguments are likely be deleted. Keep in mind that many suggestions won't be implemented immediately. Also, if you are going to criticize someone else's level, try not to be too negative.

The Battle Server will change the levels in its loop every once in a while. This is a good opportunity for level makers to have their work seen and played by a larger audience than otherwise. It is for this reason that suggestions for under-hosted and relatively new levels take priority over other level suggestions. Added levels are guaranteed to stay in the pack for at least two weeks, though many levels will be used longer than this period of time.

NovaStar
Jul 1, 2006, 12:30 AM
How about quicker loops? According to your post the current levels have been in place for 5 months, and it's really getting quite boring. The last loop that I recall of lasted 6 months. That was annoying.

cooba
Jul 1, 2006, 01:06 AM
There are several levels which didn't really make it into the first loop yet which should have. I mean every decent level from Anniversary Bash 8 (there aren't too many of such ones there), like The Underground by FireSworD and Dusky Siegeness by P4ul. I also advise not to use crappy levels which got labelled as "classics", nor to use levels with annoyingly quirky gameplay which barely anyone likes. Also, keep in mind that some of us levelmakers are making battle servers just created for the purpose of being played in the Battle Server, so you definitely shouldn't rush the loop update. That is all I have to say.

White Rabbit
Jul 1, 2006, 03:50 AM
I don't mind not having fixed loops, and would prefer randomly picked ones. I wonder if a program, something like Project Controller, could not randomly set the next level setting, regardless of what it is for the current level, to one that is in a specified folder. Then you only need to dump all the good levels you can find into one folder for constant variation.

DarkSonic
Jul 1, 2006, 04:05 AM
-Green Beret
-Hectic Housewars
-Doomsday Darkdream
-Officials vs Competitors
-24 Hour Coffee

+Eastern Swampside
+Forgotten Castle
+Toasted Territory
+The Corsair's Coast
+Carrotus Clash

Comments on the levels I want out of the server:

Green Beret: It's a very old level, and I prefer new levels. I don't like it in some way, dunno why though.

Hectic Housewars: Too boring and pretty small. Just some houses which I find boring, and also pretty dark for me.

Doomsday Darkdream: It's pretty cramped in some places, and it's not a very good level. There were better ones in the same pack, probably.

Officials vs Competitors: There are no Power-Ups and I don't like Medivo that much.

24 Hour Coffee: Too small and boring. It has been in lots of servers and packs already, and I think it should stop.

The levels I want to be in the server are quite new and I just like them better than the levels I want to be out of the server.

cooba
Jul 1, 2006, 04:18 AM
Your list is way too generic DS. Forgotten Castle and Carrotus Clash? They're great levels, but I think I've had enough of them. The Corsair Coast and TTerritory were also overplayed on the battle server back when it was using AB7's battlelist. Eastern Swampside is a decent choice, but P4ul made better levels than that one, and moreso he's making a new battle level right now.

R3ptile
Jul 1, 2006, 05:05 AM
MUST be kept:

Villain Village
24 Hour Coffee
Green Berets
Non-Typical Battle
Hecthic Housewars

Add:

An Uninspired Psych Level
The Lost Battle Game
Battle Game XC
It's Over
Dusky Siegeness
The Underground
Dungeon Ruins
Fort Oblivion
Apocalyptic End
EvilMike's Not-so-evil Fortress
<s>Lost Temple</s>

FQuist
Jul 1, 2006, 06:09 AM
Another vote for dumping 24 hour coffee. It's just annoying when it comes up, since its pace is so much different from the other levels (much slower, no PU). Generally, it seems to stop any fun battling going on dead in its tracks. That's not because it's a bad level.

Speeza
Jul 1, 2006, 06:22 AM
don't get rid of hectic house wars,its the best.
I agree with 24 hour,its so boring now.
And i don't like the layout or tileset.
Put forgotten castle in.
Also put townsville in.
and forest fight.
Put one of blades levels in from his level pack.
but don't put aztec in it.
also before you change the loop,put the tilesets levels and music up for downloads,so we can host them if we hate the new loop.
thanks for the first download.

DarkSonic
Jul 1, 2006, 06:53 AM
I have never heard of Apocalyptic End and EvilMike's not-so-evil Fortress. I guess the second one is something that looks like the evli Fortress but never heard of the other one.

And Ryder: People like Cooba and r3p don't like Blade's levels, and there are probably more(I am not a fan of them either)

@r3p: Your list looks pretty good, but what do you want to be removed from the list?

n00b
Jul 1, 2006, 07:11 AM
I also like Hectic Housewars, and do not want to see it removed.
THats the only opinion I currently have on the battle server.

EDIT- Why someone doesn't expect some houses in a level named "Hectic Housewars" is beyond me.

blurredd
Jul 1, 2006, 09:09 AM
I should've mentioned this earlier, but I'm mainly looking for brand new levels as opposed to anything from other Anniversary Bash packs. And as of now, I'm replacing at least half the levels in the pack. I would replace more but I can't find enough levels yet.

NovaStar
Jul 1, 2006, 10:20 PM
I may as well go through a cycle and say what's HOT... and what's not! And what's average.

HOT
Garden Brawl
(the untitled desert level)

NOT
Forsaken
24 Hour Coffee
EvilMike's Hidden Temple
What is this?
Green Beret
Doomsday Darkdream

AVERAGE
Abandoned Robotics Factory
starlight falls II
Hectic Housewars
Hypoborean Atmosphere

Will finish later.

FireSworD
Jul 1, 2006, 11:28 PM
I remember back when the battle server only had like 7 levels, and it would ALWAYS have the same loop.

Anyway, people who become bored easily are more than welcome to try to make an accomplished new battle level.

EvilMike
Jul 1, 2006, 11:33 PM
Get rid of the text strings, or set them to vanish. They are too frequent, too big, and take up the middle of the screen. It's like having popup advertisements. It's stupid to have annoying text strings that advertise a website that doesn't even exist.

At least make them so they take up only one or two lines, and go at the bottom of the screen or something like that.

blurredd
Jul 1, 2006, 11:44 PM
I'm proud to have my Forsaken level on top of the NOT list. Anyway, Battle Server with just seven levels of arguable quality definitely was a different experience, though now I can't imagine it going back to something that. I was looking at some of the old Battle Server levels just the other day.

EvilMike, I'll see what I can do with text strings on the next set of levels, though I still barely notice them (kind of like the tiles in the foreground layers of ShadowGpW levels).

cooba
Jul 2, 2006, 09:13 AM
HOT
Garden Brawl
(the untitled desert level)...eh? Those levels are old and long-ago exploited :(.

Camou
Jul 2, 2006, 09:28 PM
Forsaken
EvilMike's Hidden Temple
What is this?
starlight falls II
Hectic Housewars
Hypoborean Atmosphere

Keep this in :(

Forsaken because it's got nice gameplay and good eyecandy.
EvilMike's Hidden Temple because it's just got lots of action outside and it's got PU's.
Starlight Falls II is ma favorite level :P
Hectic Housewars, it's got good gameplay and has enough action and stuff.
Hypoborean atmosphere because it's got flow... yah, and I like it.

blurredd
Jul 3, 2006, 08:06 AM
Just so you know, a well-written suggestion would include why you like or dislike a particular level. A sentence or two should be enough for each level.

Cpp
Jul 3, 2006, 09:57 AM
Make levels load in random order ;)

Speeza
Jul 3, 2006, 09:59 AM
Thats a good idea,put more levels than normal as well in it.

Monolith
Jul 3, 2006, 11:28 PM
Make levels load in random order ;)
Done.

blurredd
Jul 4, 2006, 05:49 PM
Right now I have 7 levels definitely going into the loop. I'm hoping to find 8 more levels by the end of this week, if possible. If I can't find anything really good, I'll use the levels I'm hesitant to add and/or make some more new levels myself.

cooba
Jul 6, 2006, 02:25 AM
Eh, turn off the level randomizer or at least make it more random somehow(?). Villain Village gets hosted like every third level, and so does Doomsday Darkdream, though less often. I like having my levels played often, but the "random" selection kind of pushes it ;|.

DarkSonic
Jul 6, 2006, 06:56 AM
I guess I'll try to make a good Battle level if I am able to. I suggest putting The Temple of Suffering and An Uninspired Psych Level in at least. There weren't many good Battle levels created this/previous month, and the older ones are played a bit. Maybe other levels that could be in:

Green Hill Citadel(or whatever it was called.. Blur's BoredSet level)
XLM Woods Far East
Night of Diamonds

That's all I can think of..

Cpp
Jul 7, 2006, 06:31 AM
Eh, turn off the level randomizer or at least make it more random somehow(?). Villain Village gets hosted like every third level, and so does Doomsday Darkdream, though less often. I like having my levels played often, but the "random" selection kind of pushes it ;|.I've spent a lot of time programming my level mixer not to choose certain levels too often - after the AB7 complaints. Perhaps you can make your prog behave in a similar way, monolith. Make it count the amount of times a level has been hosted and then choose the next level randomly among those 20% of levels that have been hosted least.

Monolith
Jul 7, 2006, 05:48 PM
With any sort of randomization, certain levels will seem to come up more frequently than others in a short period of time compared to playing them in a simple loop. I can understand how this can be frustrating. There are a few possible solutions. One is to have a slower morph rate such as Overlord suggested. This would likely end up running levels in the same sequence a lot though. Another option is to randomize the level loop only when there are no players in the server, and then staying with the loop so long as people are playing in it. And a third obvious option is to simply add more levels. More levels would mean a lower probability of repeating levels.

R3ptile
Jul 7, 2006, 10:58 PM
The more important issue is to find a way to deal with all those cheaters (10 year old kids with Jazzadv.), though.

DarkSonic
Jul 8, 2006, 12:56 AM
EDIT: Never mind. The pack will be uploaded today/tomorrow, so then you can see it. This version is still buggy, by the way.

Speeza
Jul 8, 2006, 01:03 AM
put grave g in.

Monolith
Jul 8, 2006, 06:56 PM
I changed the randomization to randomize the list each time the loop has been gone through once. This can still cause duplicates between loops, but it should be an improvement. I actually haven't seen a full loop yet, so I'm not sure if it's really working. Let me know if it seems to be working or not working.

NovaStar
Jul 9, 2006, 11:59 PM
The more important issue is to find a way to deal with all those cheaters (10 year old kids with Jazzadv.), though.

++you

Monolith
Jul 16, 2006, 10:31 AM
I've switched the Battle Server over to a set of 54 levels that Blackraptor provided, so hopefully that'll provide some new variety.

KRSplat
Jul 16, 2006, 10:54 AM
We played through the whole loop last night :)

Vegito
Jul 16, 2006, 10:59 AM
lol, that must have taken ages. And I like this yeah :)

Cheese
Jul 17, 2006, 11:45 AM
If it's not too late, I have a level I just uploaded specifically for the battle server..
http://www.jazz2online.com/J2Ov2/downloads/info.php?levelID=4288

cooba
Jul 22, 2006, 04:34 AM
...way to waste blur's work.

Cheese
Jul 27, 2006, 03:44 PM
If it's not too late
:rolleyes: I take it the loop's already finished, so don't bother adding it.
Maybe next time :cool:

Monolith
Jul 27, 2006, 08:20 PM
I put levels up whenever they're available. They just need to be given to me by someone I trust.

cooba
Jul 28, 2006, 11:39 AM
They just need to be given to me by someone I trust.So did you stop trusting blur or what?

Monolith
Jul 28, 2006, 08:04 PM
So did you stop trusting blur or what?
No. I just haven't gotten any new levels from him.

blurredd
Aug 2, 2006, 07:12 AM
It would be nice if levels could be voted on for skipping (!voteskip). If this suggestion gets used, it would be useful to see which levels get skipped regularly. And how about an idle server or some equivalent? Cheap points from server kills can get annoying.

cooba
Aug 2, 2006, 07:35 AM
Also, there could be a votekick feature for those who spoil the fun by cheating or regularly spamming.

cooba
Sep 1, 2006, 11:10 AM
I propose getting rid of Crappily Designed City (level 45) and Jungle Fort (48).

Murderbeam
Sep 1, 2006, 11:41 AM
I agree with Cooba.

Replace level 45 with anything But 48 or something already in.

Blackraptor
Sep 1, 2006, 12:01 PM
45 is the heart and soul of the battle server D;

Murderbeam
Sep 1, 2006, 12:35 PM
NO,
it is a pile of Crud on a stick.
Are all of you Idiots?

Blackraptor
Sep 1, 2006, 12:38 PM
Nah, just people with good taste ;).

FireSworD
Sep 1, 2006, 03:03 PM
The standards that define good or bad are unstable.

blurredd
Sep 1, 2006, 04:14 PM
I would say those two levels would be accepted more readily in something like an Anniversary Bash pack, where in AB tradition, notable levels with questionable gameplay were occasionally included. But as for a dedicated server, good gameplay should be the priority in creating a pack since the levels will be played for more than just a week.

R3ptile
Sep 2, 2006, 01:56 AM
I propose getting rid of Crappily Designed City (level 45) and Jungle Fort (48).
NO NO NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

cooba
Sep 2, 2006, 03:08 AM
Nah, just people with good taste ;).You're accusing me of having bad taste? Riiiiight.

Vegito
Sep 2, 2006, 04:12 AM
Its about opinions. Your opinion doesn't count heavier than Blacky's opinion, I guess. :+. It doesn't matter on if you think someone has a bad/good taste :-(

cooba
Sep 2, 2006, 04:21 AM
While you're considering level changes, keep in mind that <a href="http://www.jazz2online.com/J2Ov2/downloads/info.php?levelID=4109">Eastern Swampside</a>'s music doesn't cause any errors anymore, so it may be used freely ;D

Vegito
Sep 2, 2006, 04:43 AM
<s> biased level </s>
I actually like Eastern more than Crappy city ;(

DarkSonic
Sep 2, 2006, 11:13 AM
I am planning to upload a Battle level soon, and I got positive reactions on it. I still need people to test it though. Maybe it's good enough for the Battle Server, or I'm just too late. Anyway, Jungle Fort is a level with 3 shields, bad layout, lots of Power-Ups and it's just chaotic. I suggest replacing that at least D;

cooba
Sep 2, 2006, 11:35 AM
Also, Chocolate Lamp (04) and The Lost Battle Game (13) should get replaced by some other level as well.

And for convenience, I assembled a little list:

Green Beret ~ Bluez
starlight falls II ~ BlurredD
Jagged Ectoplasm ~ Lark
Chocolate Lamp ~ Violet
Black Metal ~ Blade
Rainy Rain Forest ~ Splash((
The Corsair's Coast ~ Blacky
Non-Typical Battle ~ FS
An Uninspired Psych Level ~ Cooba
Corner Catastrophe ~ Disguise
The Iceberg ~ Blade
EvilMike's Hidden Temple ~ EvilMike
The Lost Battle Game ~ IC
Virtues ~ Wrath
E. Prime ~ BlurredD
BoardBattle ~ Violet
The Chasm ~ Blacky
Space Roast ~ Blade
What is this!? ~ NewSpaz
EvilMike's Evil Fortress ~ EvilMike
Hyperborean Biosphere ~ Lark
Garden Brawl ~ FS
Ancient Ruins ~ Blade
Grass Hill Citadel ~ BlurredD
Doomsday Darkdream ~ CelL
Mystic Forest Cave ~ spy
Ain Mosni ~ Shadow
Relics of Minoria's Temple ~ Past of Leveldesign
The Underground ~ FS
60 000 Feet Under ~ BlurredD
~ EvilMike
Stone Smashing ~ Blade
Hectic Housewars ~ Disguise
Cold Cavern ~ URJazz
e-Line Circuits ~ BlurredD
Cursed Leaves ~ P4ul
Toasted Territory ~ Sacrush
Gold Rush Mountains ~ WR
Tubular Vortex ~ CelL
Abandoned Robotics Factory ~ FS
The Dismal Palace ~ Cooba
Forsaken ~ BlurredD
Tube Dreams ~ Snooze
Battle Game XC ~ BlurredD
Crappily Designed City ~ MidN
The Temple of Suffering ~ P4ul
Villain Village ~ Cooba
Jungle Fort ~ MidN?
Fort Oblivion ~ BlurredD
Woodland Warfields ~ Snooze
Carrotus Squash ~ martin
Pipe Dreams ~ CelL
Cannon Calamity ~ Sciz CT
Cactus Combat ~ Blade

Blackraptor
Sep 2, 2006, 12:27 PM
You're accusing me of having bad taste? Riiiiight.

You're accusing me of being serious when I said that? D:

Keep in mind that what I assembled was just to start things off. You guys can rearrange the level loop as much as you want, really, although there's one thing I want to adress.

People keep complaining about levels of insufficient quality compared to the rest of the levels in the pack, as well as repeats from the previous battle server and to a lesser extent the huge amount of blade levels in the battle server. If I removed all these we would be left with...maybe 20 levels? Less even?

The reason I made the server so big was to fix an issue I thought happend with the previous battle server. Having a loop of only 20 levels gets old pretty fast, especially when the server is up 24/7. Instead of having the levels provide an enjoyable past time for people looking for something to do, they become overhosted pretty fast to the point where people feel like they never want to play in them again. I didn't want the point of the battle server to be completely raping new and quality levels by having players constantly play them over and over and get sick of them.

I briefly talked to blur about it. We both came to a consensus that you guys need to make more quality battle levels >:( (and don't accuse me of being a hypocrite or anything since I actually have some in the works right now).

DarkSonic
Sep 2, 2006, 01:42 PM
We both came to a consensus that you guys need to make more quality battle levels >:(

I'm trying to make my new level as good as possible. It's been finished for pretty long now, but I never got beta testers. To prevent that, I'll host it until I get testers that are useful ;p.

Speeza
Sep 2, 2006, 02:25 PM
Sorry if im makeing anyone a bit angry here,but the battle server should be about fun,not loads of levels,ive made a small list of what people do not like,I think this list is quite accurate duel to sevaral times i go on the battle server everyone leaves on ceartain levels.

Villan village
Woodland warfields
60 000 Feet Under
The Dismal Palace
Pipe Dreams? i think the one what was made for future tecnolagy battle pack,tileset by agama,not to sure,I think its this one.

forgive me if im terrably wrong,its nothing persoanal,so don't flame me please for possibly including the best level.
Thank you.

R3ptile
Sep 3, 2006, 01:32 AM
BEST SUGGESTION: Ban AJazz! :D

ThunderPX
Sep 3, 2006, 02:05 AM
BEST SUGGESTION: Ban AJazz! :D

Yes please.

cooba
Sep 3, 2006, 02:34 AM
forgive me if im terrably wrongI forgive you.

DarkSonic
Sep 3, 2006, 03:16 AM
http://www.jazz2online.com/J2Ov2/downloads/info.php?levelID=4363

Now working for both the host and the client because the j2b file is only 833 kb.

And if people are leaving with that levels they probably don't want to play anymore. Some people don't like Blade's levels but if his levels weren't in we would have way less levels.

blurredd
Sep 3, 2006, 08:03 AM
Some people don't like Blade's levels but if his levels weren't in we would have way less levels.
Six less levels? Not much of a difference, if you ask me. I was probably being a little harsh on Blade as of recently, but The Iceberg definitely has to go. I never liked that level since the first time I've seen it. The other included levels I can almost live with.

Also, the idle server getting roasted for points, accidental or not, is still annoying.

cooba
Sep 3, 2006, 09:31 AM
I was probably being a little harsh on Blade as of recently:eek:

Grytolle
Sep 3, 2006, 09:41 AM
mono make it possible for 1.24 players to join plz D:

Jimbob
Sep 3, 2006, 10:12 AM
but then he would probly have to host two servers, i think...

R3ptile
Sep 3, 2006, 10:13 AM
mono make it possible for 1.24 players to join plz D:
how would we deal with lori users then :(?

blurredd
Sep 3, 2006, 11:11 AM
Most TSF users seem perfectly content with Battle Game, tests, and hotel levels anyway.

White Rabbit
Sep 3, 2006, 11:11 AM
how would we deal with lori users then :(?
No, the question is, how would they deal with us? Lori becomes a frog in 1.23, and is quite defenceless.

cooba
Sep 8, 2006, 07:56 AM
I understand that you're quite busy, Mono, but an eventual reply would be appreciated.

Monolith
Sep 8, 2006, 10:36 PM
So.. is there a consensus on which levels should be removed, and what levels should be added? If it's just a matter of swapping some levels, I could do that.

DarkSonic
Sep 9, 2006, 02:37 AM
Here are my suggestions..

-Crappily Drawn City
-Jungle Fort
-Stone Smashing/The Iceberg

+First Boredom
+Eastern Swampside
+Something else.. maybe one of those Battle levels of blur where you can lose points?

cooba
Sep 9, 2006, 03:38 AM
Same as DS, except I'd replace delete Chocolate Lamp instead of Stone Smashing. And as for replacements, I propose MidN's Chemical Reactions II to balance the loop. And I doubt if Mono would be eager to use the appropiate program to make pits work in MP <s>(aside from having it as far as I can tell)</s>.

Also, it would be nice if levels 27 (Ain Mosni) and 42 (Forsaken) were replaced with their counterparts from the first loop (which had the newer versions of said levels).

DarkSonic
Sep 22, 2006, 09:47 AM
I have to bump this topic, because I think Snooze's 'Romantic Landscapes' is good for the Battle Server too. It's small, but very new(although I saw it some time ago) It would be a good replacement for Stone Smashing or Chocolate Lamp.

cooba
Sep 22, 2006, 09:54 AM
It would be a good replacement for Stone SmashingThe Iceberg :(

PurpleJazz
Oct 1, 2006, 10:48 AM
Any level other than battle1-3

I think you should use levels from Blade's Battle Pack;)

Birdie
Oct 1, 2006, 11:00 AM
Any level other than battle1-3

I think you should use levels from Blade's Battle Pack;)
Battle 1, 2 or 3 arnt being used, there are levels from blade's battle pack, and we want to get rid of some of them.

http://www.jazz2online.com/J2Ov2/downloads/info.php?levelID=4389

niek
Oct 11, 2006, 02:25 AM
I could suggest to use Spy's battle levels, I always enjoyed those over the past.

DarkSonic
Oct 11, 2006, 10:29 AM
Well, I think I played those levels too much already. In my opinion it's time for new levels. And we have some quite good new levels.

Monolith
Oct 12, 2006, 07:09 PM
I could use someone's help in putting together and giving me the appropriate changes to be made.

blurredd
Oct 13, 2006, 06:26 PM
What about the idle server issue and voteskip?

Monolith
Oct 13, 2006, 07:25 PM
If someone wants to do that too and others think it's a good idea, then I could agree to run it. But as you've noticed, I don't have that much time to do any work on the server myself.

blurredd
Oct 19, 2006, 12:15 PM
Gry had the idea of just making The Server blink when three or more players are in the server, which should be easy enough to implement. By the way, the level shuffling doesn't seem to work too well.

Monolith
Oct 19, 2006, 09:35 PM
How exactly does it not work too well?

Michael
Oct 20, 2006, 03:43 AM
I'd be more than flattared to see some of my levels in the rotation, please tell me if you're interested, mono!

Birdie
Oct 20, 2006, 06:44 PM
If anyone wants I shall compile a list of things that should added/removed from the level list.

blurredd
Oct 20, 2006, 09:23 PM
How exactly does it not work too well?
It looks like many levels appear in the same exact order as from before, and its been like that for a while.

DarkSonic
Oct 22, 2006, 12:55 PM
If anyone wants I shall compile a list of things that should added/removed from the level list.

Good idea.

FreeFull
Oct 27, 2006, 02:55 AM
Maybe you just replace all old levels with some diffirent ones? (of course they should be good)

Michael
Oct 29, 2006, 11:40 PM
Yes yes...my levels. d:
please?

mdnchmr
Nov 15, 2006, 01:05 AM
Sorry for the thread ressurection D:

This is MidN/Chimaera/mdnchmr/atonofothernames, unfortunate owner of a certain level that made it into the battle server. I haven't been playing Jazz for a while, mostly because I've been playing World of Warcraft. I logged into Jazz a few hours ago and was horrified to see my Jungle Fort level was on the battle server. I would like to request that my craptastic level be replaced with another, please. D: It's absolutely embarassing to see that thing on there. I was never good with levels, and never will be. Jungle Fort was not a serious battle level, just something I was horsing around with in JCS. Besides, my server was never a serious battle server; just for good times and great fun with awesome people. People who may remember my server may know most of the time spent on there was spent on chatting and fooling around....or idling. Especially the idling.

My levels were always a contrast from the rest out there. The "professional" ones bored me. I like to have levels with quirks. So, as you can see, Jungle Fort really doesn't fit into the community rotation of a serious battle. As a matter of fact, none of my levels should be on the battle server. My work is not up to par, which is fine with me, and by the sounds of it, most of the community agrees. I'm not shedding any tears over it. So, this is a formal request from me, the author, to have my work removed.

As a matter of fact, I also believe the author should be sought out first and permission requested before you place any levels on the battle server. I would never have agreed to any of my work being hosted on the battle server. I was actually quite upset with one of my levels being in one of the Anniversary Bashes when no one had contacted me to ask for my permission first. I knew it would receive nothing but complaints, and thus it did, because it wasn't a serious battle level and was designed for fun on my own server and quite possibly even a few friends, if they chose to host it. But, that's just my two cents.

P.S. From what I hear, though, Crapply Designed City is, or at least was, on the rotation. I'm at a complete loss to explain that one ;) LOL. That made my day! It's supposed to be a god awful, ATROCIOUS level. How in the world it got on there, with the "professional" levels, mystifies me, and at the same time flatters me. It's so horrid, it's so gooooooood? ;) That beauty, along with Zero Effort CTF, was my pride and joy. My brother, sister and I had a good laugh making that tileset and level. I'm sure Dusk got a kick out of it too, helping me make the level(the flaming cats were his idea, not mine. :-p). I hope others got a laugh out of it too, but it probably should go, lol.
To the person who said it, "it was a pile of crud on a stick" - You need to lighten up. It was a joke level, and I'm sorry you missed the flaming obvious.

Monolith
Nov 15, 2006, 05:57 PM
I suggest someone hurries up and puts together a new level pack for me to use.

MidN, I'm sorry to hear you dissaprove of your own levels. I did not put together the levels myself, but apparently someone thought they were good.

R3ptile
Nov 18, 2006, 06:29 AM
I would create a decent pack if I'd be given enough time.

EvilMike
Nov 18, 2006, 04:34 PM
I am sad to see midn's levels go because they have always been some of my favourite battle levels :(. They ARE good levels, just in a different way. Maybe they're not designed for really deep engaging gameplay but they have other certain qualities which almost no other level has.

Screw "professional" levels

Blackraptor
Nov 18, 2006, 04:50 PM
Heh. Since i'm the one who included them in the rotation I feel obliged to comment:

I included Jungle Fort and Crappily Designed City because they were different from the norm. They weren't the same repetetive levels like all the others and what they lacked in areas such as gameplay they made up in their creativity. Sure, they're not "professional" and Crappily Designed City doesn't even intend to be, but this is a public server, not JDC =\.

I included them because, at least for me, they were enjoyable as they provided a different atmosphere to play in and weren't just generic decent battle levels. Perhaps I liked them because I played in them as a way to relax and admire the creativity instead of trying to win all the time?

I still stand by what I've thought of them before and what I thought of them when I included them in the rotation. They are good, just in a different manner than most other levels.

cooba
Nov 19, 2006, 12:47 AM
MidN, I apologise if any of my posts in this thread have offended you.

R3ptile
Nov 19, 2006, 06:25 AM
huh? you've all been into some "professional hating trend" lately

chim's levels are very creative, there's no doubt, but most of them simply lack enough playability, that's all. it has nothing to do with professionality (you mean playing seriously and not just semi-idling and chatting, right?) :(

Stijn
Nov 19, 2006, 06:35 AM
I think you're missing one of mdnchmr's point; not asking him for permission to use the levels in the pack. Perhaps you should do that from now on.

R3ptile
Nov 19, 2006, 07:19 AM
I think you're missing one of mdnchmr's point; not asking him for permission to use the levels in the pack. Perhaps you should do that from now on.
him?

Stijn
Nov 19, 2006, 07:20 AM
Her, whatever, you obviously understand what I'm saying.

Blackraptor
Nov 19, 2006, 08:32 AM
Perhaps I should've also asked SpyAD, Shadow, Martin, Splash, Blade, Bluez and Disguise too? You realise that I don't have any contact with some of these people and haven't seen some of them for years (MidN included). That makes asking for permission kinda hard.

NovaStar
Nov 19, 2006, 04:57 PM
And some seem almost impossible to find.

R3ptile
Nov 20, 2006, 03:16 AM
And some seem almost impossible to find.
O RLY

DarkSonic
Nov 26, 2006, 08:01 AM
If anyone can tell how many levels the pack should have, I might make a list with decent levels for this server. Also, the Battle Server seems to be offline at the moment.

cooba
Nov 26, 2006, 08:05 AM
Don't make a new one from scratch, just take the existing one and swap some of its levels..

PurpleJazz
Nov 26, 2006, 08:49 AM
I suggest that The Highlands by Olsen should be used in the pack.

DarkSonic
Nov 26, 2006, 09:35 AM
If you don't mind, I'm using Cooba's list for this. I couldn't find that many decent Battle levels at all ;(

Green Beret ~ Bluez
starlight falls II ~ BlurredD
Jagged Ectoplasm ~ Lark
Chocolate Lamp ~ Violet > The Highlands ~ Olsen
Black Metal ~ Blade > A Victorian Urban ~ Birdie
Rainy Rain Forest ~ Splash((
The Corsair's Coast ~ Blacky
Non-Typical Battle ~ FS
An Uninspired Psych Level ~ Cooba
Corner Catastrophe ~ Disguise
The Iceberg ~ Blade > Romantic Landscapes ~ Snooze
EvilMike's Hidden Temple ~ EvilMike
The Lost Battle Game ~ IC
Virtues ~ Wrath
E. Prime ~ BlurredD
BoardBattle ~ Violet
The Chasm ~ Blacky
Space Roast ~ Blade
What is this!? ~ NewSpaz
EvilMike's Evil Fortress ~ EvilMike
Hyperborean Biosphere ~ Lark
Garden Brawl ~ FS
Ancient Ruins ~ Blade
Grass Hill Citadel ~ BlurredD
Doomsday Darkdream ~ CelL
Mystic Forest Cave ~ spy
Ain Mosni ~ Shadow
Relics of Minoria's Temple ~ Past of Leveldesign
The Underground ~ FS
60 000 Feet Under ~ BlurredD
~ EvilMike
Stone Smashing ~ Blade > First Boredom ~ DarkSonic
Hectic Housewars ~ Disguise
Cold Cavern ~ URJazz
e-Line Circuits ~ BlurredD
Cursed Leaves ~ P4ul
Toasted Territory ~ Sacrush
Gold Rush Mountains ~ WR
Tubular Vortex ~ CelL
Abandoned Robotics Factory ~ FS
The Dismal Palace ~ Cooba
Forsaken ~ BlurredD
Tube Dreams ~ Snooze
Battle Game XC ~ BlurredD
Crappily Designed City ~ MidN > Night of Diamonds ~ BattleSpaz
The Temple of Suffering ~ P4ul
Villain Village ~ Cooba
Jungle Fort ~ MidN > Carrotus Clash ~ Snooze
Fort Oblivion ~ BlurredD
Woodland Warfields ~ Snooze
Carrotus Squash ~ martin
Pipe Dreams ~ CelL
Cannon Calamity ~ Sciz CT
Cactus Combat ~ Blade
[/QUOTE]

cooba
Nov 26, 2006, 09:56 AM
Gold Rush Mountains -> Eastern Swampside

Olsen
Nov 26, 2006, 10:05 AM
Nice to see Chocolate Lamp being switched, I've never liked that level. (No offense to Violet CLM)

Grytolle
Nov 26, 2006, 10:50 AM
Why replace levels? Just add more to it instead

Camou
Nov 26, 2006, 11:48 AM
Why replace levels?

I think that's because... most levels in right now just suck.

<THE PERSON WHO QUOTED THIS AND SEES THIS, PM ME TO GET YOUR NAME IN A NEW LEVEL! LOLZORZ>

KRSplat
Nov 26, 2006, 12:43 PM
Don't take out Chocolate Lamp.

Camou
Nov 27, 2006, 10:43 AM
Maybe replace Chocolate Lamp with Beneath the XLM Castle V2.4

cooba
Nov 27, 2006, 10:54 AM
Chocolate Lamp -> The Highlands
Corner Catastrophe -> Romantic Landscapes
The Iceberg -> A Victorian Urban
Stone Smashing -> First Boredom
Gold Rush Mountains -> Eastern Swampside
Crappily Designed City -> Secret Base: ID 20516
Jungle Fort -> Chemical Reactionz II (if MidN agrees?)
Cactus Combat -> Beneath the XLM Castle

Keep in mind to use the newer versions of Ain Mosni and Forsaken, too

DarkSonic
Dec 7, 2006, 03:06 AM
I agree with Cooba. I don't think there are any better new levels available than these. Also, almost all old levels are replaced so that's nice as well.

KRSplat
Dec 7, 2006, 10:47 AM
But the old levels are fun

Sacrush
Dec 7, 2006, 12:52 PM
I disagree.

cooba
Dec 14, 2006, 09:40 AM
<a href="http://www.jazz2online.com/J2Ov2/downloads/download.php?levelID=4498">The patch</a>

This should be what I mentioned in my post a little posts above. Includes levels and tilesets just to keep it safe.

Monolith
Jan 9, 2007, 10:22 PM
I would like to thank R3p for the holiday pack that I ran for Christmas. I would also like to thank Cooba for the update to the current level pack.

cooba
Jun 7, 2007, 02:54 AM
I'd dare say the server could use a few updates again.

Ideas? One thing I thought about is perhaps making the loop a bit smaller than 50 levels.

Birdie
Jun 7, 2007, 06:04 AM
Some form of moderation would be nice, very often when I join I am annoyed because there are many people who don't speak english, but enjoy spam.

Grytolle
Jun 7, 2007, 07:33 AM
They're probably talking

Dermo
Jun 21, 2007, 08:50 AM
I would like the idea of an auto-banner. Whenever ANY player by the name of AJazz comes in it auto bans them lol.

PurpleJazz
Jun 21, 2007, 09:59 AM
I want to see some of the current levels replaced with newer ones, as recently there has been several good battle levels made, which many of them would be great for this.

Dermo
Jun 21, 2007, 02:24 PM
Yeah add more levels use Blade's Battle Pack on top of what level's you're already using.

Birdie
Jun 21, 2007, 02:31 PM
Please not the blade battle pack levels. :(

cooba
Jun 22, 2007, 03:36 AM
Does a 32 levels loop sound reasonable?

Dermo
Jun 23, 2007, 08:02 PM
Maybe a 256 level loop. Sike. 32 sounds good for a start. Give the community a nice variety.

PurpleJazz
Jun 23, 2007, 11:30 PM
Yeah add more levels use Blade's Battle Pack on top of what level's you're already using.

Blade's Battle Pack is overrated Imo

DarkSonic
Jun 24, 2007, 02:38 AM
I will name some new levels that are good for this loop.

Levels from the Battle Contest:
-Foreign Country
-The Warden Woods
-Daring Rebels
-Heated Pipelines
-Sandstone Ruins
-DarkMatch
-Possibly Temple of Karnak

Any other suggestions?

cooba
Jun 24, 2007, 03:47 AM
Maybe a 256 level loop.That would be a fairly nice idea, but we don't really have 256 levels with at least above average quality.

Blackraptor
Jun 25, 2007, 04:20 AM
Is there anything left of my original level list? ;'(

cooba
Jun 25, 2007, 04:38 AM
Like 90% of it is still intact :<!--/-->(

Blackraptor
Jun 26, 2007, 06:33 PM
Then either I must be really awesome/you people are really lazy/the game is really dead :(.

cooba
Jun 27, 2007, 05:32 AM
Well, the battle server really needs some kind of organiser group arranged to keep the things fresh :| or something.

Also, getting the Battle Server website finished could also help things a bit.

Monolith
Jun 28, 2007, 08:36 PM
Well, the battle server really needs some kind of organiser group arranged to keep the things fresh :| or something.

Also, getting the Battle Server website finished could also help things a bit.
Good idea. In fact, this thread right here is a start.

Dermo
Aug 23, 2007, 06:41 PM
Suggestion: FIX IT! Not to flame but it's been down for a LONG time now. I mean I realize it's tough to keep a server up between work and whatnot but couldn't you check it daily to make sure it's operating correctly and not Pinging???

Monolith
Aug 23, 2007, 08:07 PM
I usually check it more than once a day. I know it was running for most of today. It was down when I got home tonight, so I started it back up again. Also earlier this week I took it down a couple times to do some other stuff on that computer. Either you have perfectly timed being online when the server is down, or there's something wrong with your network connection to my server.

cooba
Nov 18, 2007, 11:56 AM
:/

Now what?

FreeFull
Nov 18, 2007, 12:39 PM
Always when I go online the Battle Server is down. Something is wrong.