PDA

View Full Version : JazzJackrabbit for the Nintendo DS

sedthh
Nov 19, 2007, 10:14 AM
Hi there!

I was rather surprised that no good platforms have been yet released for the DS (besides contra) so, as a former fan of sonic and jazzrabbit and a proud owner of such handheld, I have decided to 'port' jazz2 to the DS using the paLib c++ libraries.

However, I do not plan on simply copying the game, I want to improve it and fix its bugs, and also make it multiplayer-oriented. I am pretty sure that most of you have played the game SOLDAT, where you can aim and shoot at any direction, with the mouse. I want to implement this in the game among with other expansions (except you will be using the stylus for this).

The platform engine is almost done (I wrote it in java), and ready to be converted to c++, but ofcourse it's only a small part of the whole process in the making - therefor I would like to ask for help on this project:

What I need is:
- the ripped level tiles and sprites of characters
- the sounds and music in either mp3 or mod format (yes mod, not s3m)
- some home made levels + later on I am planning on releasing a level creator, similar to jcf, for mostly multiplayer map creating purposes.

All help is gladly welcome and appreciated.

sedthh

edit1: the engine will most likely use 16*16 tilemaps instead of 32*32 because of the small displays of the DS, but I might write a code that zooms in sometimes, like when you stand still or action takes place nearby you, but this depends entirely on how powerful the hardware is.

ps: in before trolling about 'no good platforms on DS' take that elsewhere

n00b
Nov 19, 2007, 10:35 AM
Proof of the engine before we do your gruntwork please, especially since you can find/make most of this on your own.

cooba
Nov 19, 2007, 10:53 AM
the ripped level tileshttp://www.jazz2online.com/J2Ov2/downloads/info.php?levelID=4087sprites of charactershttp://www.jazz2online.com/J2Ov2/downloads/info.php?levelID=4041the sounds and music in either mp3 or mod format (yes mod, not s3mhttp://jazz.madskills.org/music/Jazz2mp3-LC/some home made levelshttp://www.jazz2online.com/J2Ov2/downloads/

Have fun.

n00b
Nov 19, 2007, 10:57 AM
Oh come now Cooba, don't take all of the fun of explaining the search function away D=

ahat
Nov 19, 2007, 11:09 AM
JJDS? You mean something like this?

http://img86.imageshack.us/img86/3095/im001120ja4.jpg
http://img86.imageshack.us/img86/3944/im001121rd7.jpg
http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/3844/im001122zw1.jpg

On a side note...PALib? You've got to be kidding me! Somebody doesn't know diddly squat about the DS.

sedthh
Nov 19, 2007, 11:14 AM
thx a bunch cooba, especially for the quick answer

I forgot to mention that ideas on new weapons are also welcome. You can use 4 kinds of weapons in each level only (I will explain later why)
There are 6 attributes for every weapon
-damage | damage made by weapon
-recoil | you move to the opposite direction (like rockets in j2)
-speed | speed of the bullets
-reload | not really reload, just the time that needs to pass between two shots
-special | like homing, freezing, bouncing etc
-hit | (bool) can it hit other bullets as well

(FTA)

[Flame tag removal and swearing removal. Please read the rules and start abiding by them. - FQuist]

cooba
Nov 19, 2007, 11:16 AM
if you are trying to be an internet toughguy at least do it good.If you are trying to be a ds coder tough guy, at least learn how to search ;)

sedthh
Nov 19, 2007, 11:17 AM
JJDS? You mean something like this?

http://img86.imageshack.us/img86/3095/im001120ja4.jpg
http://img86.imageshack.us/img86/3944/im001121rd7.jpg
http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/3844/im001122zw1.jpg

On a side note...PALib? You've got to be kidding me! Somebody doesn't know diddly squat about the DS.

oh shi- someone did it before me then :D what stadium is it in?

what's wrong with palib? I am ok with everything else as long as I don't have to assembly the poor thing

n00b
Nov 19, 2007, 11:22 AM
Sometimes people hear what they want to hear, this is especially the case on the internet where this little to none vocal to be heard in text. Since this is the case I'd like to ask you to stop taking everything I say so aggressivly and perhaps read my posts in a more monotone or calm manner. Pretend I am Hal-9000 or that sex offender ice cream man everyone at one point in their lives has met when you read my posts and maybe this feeling of aggressive-ness will subside. Perhaps I am quite lame at being an "internet toughguy" (which is an oxymoron in and out of itself) because I am not trying to be one. Also, don't use such harsh language, man. Did you read the rules before posting here or not?

ahat
Nov 19, 2007, 11:24 AM
oh shi- someone did it before me then :D what stadium is it in?

what's wrong with palib? I am ok with everything else as long as I don't have to assembly the poor thing

If you have to ask what's wrong with PALib you're obviously a (-) to the DS Homebrew scene as well. You obviously know very little about the hardware and likely will not, ever, create a functioning game for it.

[Swearword removal - FQuist]

sedthh
Nov 19, 2007, 11:28 AM
ok sorry it's just I'm only here for some help on a project I've been working on for days and I was pretty sure that you would all appreciate it, since nothing related has been released lately. I guess I've got unused to forums

ahat
Nov 19, 2007, 11:34 AM
ok sorry it's just I'm only here for some help on a project I've been working on for days and I was pretty sure that you would all appreciate it, since nothing related has been released lately. I guess I've got unused to forums

What I'm trying to say to you is, you don't even know what you're doing and should just stop now.

Why am I saying this to you?
1) Invalid use of the word "port".
2) Wanting MP3 versions of the music in JJ2.
3) Saying "PALib" in an context.
4) Being unable to rip the assets you need, by yourself!
5) The list just keeps going...

Stijn
Nov 19, 2007, 11:34 AM
n00b and ahat, a less aggressive attitude would be much appreciated.

I can't say much about your effort (apart from that I like seeing some activity in porting Jazz2). I'm surprised by your choice for Java though, does that run on the DS?

Welcome to the forums, too.

ahat
Nov 19, 2007, 11:36 AM
n00b, a less aggressive attitude would be much appreciated.

I can't say much about your effort (apart from that I like seeing some activity in porting Jazz2). I'm surprised by your choice for Java though, does that run on the DS?

Welcome to the forums, too.

It wouldn't be a port, it'd be a remake. They don't even plan on making the game the same.

sedthh
Nov 19, 2007, 11:40 AM
What I'm trying to say to you is, you don't even know what you're doing and should just stop now.

Why am I saying this to you?
1) Invalid use of the word "port".
2) Wanting MP3 versions of the music in JJ2.
3) Saying "PALib" in an context.
4) Being unable to rip the assets you need, by yourself!
5) The list just keeps going...

I do not care

Stijn: thanks lol

ahat
Nov 19, 2007, 11:43 AM
I do not care

Stijn: thanks lol

Get in IRC and talk to me, I want to discuss it with you.
Quakenet, #jj2

n00b
Nov 19, 2007, 11:47 AM
n00b and ahat, a less aggressive attitude would be much appreciated.

Again, I'm not being aggressive. I would appreciate it if you stopped seeing my posts that way.

Stijn
Nov 19, 2007, 11:49 AM
I percieve your replies as aggressive and so does sedthh, I don't know about others. If that was not your intent you might want to think again about how you phrase things :rolleyes:

sedthh
Nov 19, 2007, 11:51 AM
Get in IRC and talk to me, I want to discuss it with you.
Quakenet, #jj2
lol wut

ahat
Nov 19, 2007, 11:52 AM
lol wut

You don't know what IRC is?

FQuist
Nov 19, 2007, 12:37 PM
Why leave everyone hanging, Ahat? You could explain here why PALib is a bad decision. I'm sure you can learn about the DS to find out, but since you know about it..

sedthh
Nov 19, 2007, 12:56 PM
well if it is really that slow then I guess I will just have to stick with devkitPro instead. But I would still want your opinions on that

ahat
Nov 19, 2007, 01:00 PM
Why leave everyone hanging, Ahat? You could explain here why PALib is a bad decision. I'm sure you can learn about the DS to find out, but since you know about it..

PALib is like the "OMGZ GAME CREATOR 2005!!!1!11eoneon1!1" of DS homebrew. The only reason you would use it is if you have limited knowledge in both programming and the hardware. Because of its simplicity, it's both buggy, and lacks flexibility/functionality. It manages the vram horribly, it mangles the input from the touchscreen, it's just garbage. I could keep going on and on about the matter.

ahat
Nov 19, 2007, 01:05 PM
well if it is really that slow then I guess I will just have to stick with devkitPro instead. But I would still want your opinions on that

I hope you realize that you'd be using devkitpro regardless...PALib just gives you higher level functions, which are poorly coded.

sedthh
Nov 19, 2007, 01:10 PM
any suggestions on what should I use then? I didn't know PAlib sucks that much :/ then again it doesn't really change anything

ahat
Nov 19, 2007, 01:15 PM
any suggestions on what should I use then? I didn't know PAlib sucks that much :/ then again it doesn't really change anything

devkitpro is the only devkit you'll find, unless you get the official one from Nintendo.

You could also write pure ARM ASM if you want.

Neobeo
Nov 19, 2007, 02:49 PM
Time for my 2 cents.

Before I start analyzing every aspect of this thread, I thought it would be fair to give a rough background of myself. I have been in the JJ2 hacking scene for many years now, which of course counts for nothing. But I am also a proud owner and homebrewer of the Nintendo DS.

The Idea
The idea of "porting", if you can call it that, Jazz Jackrabbit 2 to the NDS is not a new one. Of course, all of us here (albeit sounding very harsh in this thread) would really love to see something like this work. Unfortunately, many have tried and failed... Ok, maybe not. Unless ahat was already working on such a port. So let's further break down this analysis.

Hardware
Honestly, there's nowhere I'd rather see a JJ2 ported to than the Nintendo DS. And yet, when this is said and done, the DS is also one of the harder platforms to program on, mainly because of it's extremely limited 4MB ram. Depending on the design and implementation of the port itself, the CPU and screen size should also be taken into account.

Implementation
It is difficult to see how much thought you have put into this. I am by no means a game expert, nor have I actually made any full-fledged games. The tiles for a start; 32x32 would be pretty cramped I agree, yet 16x16 will not do any justice to the graphics. Also, the stylus controls sound very gimmicky. I'm not really sure how this will work out, since one hand will have to control a lot of buttons. A Metroid Prime Hunters style control might or might not work. Then again, don't take my word for this; I'm really bad at game design. But another thing you should consider is how much this port will be able to handle. Remember that memory is very limited. Level sizes will have to be kept small, and events (JCS events) will have to be kept few. Going in and out of levels, which many DS games do in order to load the next level, or next portion of a level, may not work in a multiplayer context.

Resources
Again, I'm not trying to completely destroy this project, but I have to wonder how much effort you have spent or are willing to spend in this. Is it going to be a one-man programming team? You did start this thread requesting for help, but the help required (sprites, sounds, levels) are nothing more than trivial aspects to the entire game creation process. At the very least, will you be designing and programming the entire thing yourself?

Programming
Finally, the section in which I'd consider myself most experienced in. This section alone can be broken into multiple subsections, but I'll have to start somewhere. Firstly, the engine. Why would the engine be written in java first, only to have it later converted to C++? Unless it was a generic engine, but this will not work very well. Not to say that JJ2 is an extremely complicated game, but the engine should be made to revolve around the game, rather than taking some engine and customising it to meet the game specs. In other words, it should be programmed directly in C++, and probably after the design stage is finalised.

Then there's also the porting aspect. At this stage, only j2nsm has the source code to jj2 but they will never give it to us so that is not an option. Since there is no source code of any sort, the only way to port or remake will be to default to experimentation or reverse engineering of some sort. In which case, it is definitely a better idea to create a "port" or remake on the PC itself; think OpenJazz2. Only when you get something that works closely enough to the original will it be worthy of porting.

Last but not least, programming on the DS. This is what I am most skeptical about. Like ahat has already shown a few times, it is almost certain that you have never programmed any DS homebrew. Perhaps you considered learning the ropes while working on the project. This might work for windows programming, which requires lots of trial and error. But DS programming is very specific, and if it is indeed your first project, you may want to consider my first option. Which is to remake on the PC first then port it to the DS.

Conclusion
Consider whether this project will be realistic. Probably start with something slightly lighter and proceed from there.

Epilogue
OK, I tried to keep this criticism as free of attacks as possible. My apologies if it sounds rather offensive, but I believe it best to correct the entire thing before it starts to go wrong. Also, NDS > PSP!!!

sedthh
Nov 19, 2007, 04:02 PM
wow thanks for all the ideas, and questions

Hardware
Honestly, there's nowhere I'd rather see a JJ2 ported to than the Nintendo DS. And yet, when this is said and done, the DS is also one of the harder platforms to program on, mainly because of it's extremely limited 4MB ram. Depending on the design and implementation of the port itself, the CPU and screen size should also be taken into account.

I haven't paid much attention on how powerful the hardware is because there are always alternative options (so that 4 megs of ram doesn't mean you are limited to 4 megs only, and you can pass on most of the tasks to other parts of the hardware), but since jazz 1 could run on a 486 well I am confident.
edit: do not forget that jj2 used directx, and some special effects such as lighting etc, which I will ignore.

I have already come up with a lot of ideas on minimalising the usage of resources (despite the hardware).

Implementation
It is difficult to see how much thought you have put into this. I am by no means a game expert, nor have I actually made any full-fledged games. The tiles for a start; 32x32 would be pretty cramped I agree, yet 16x16 will not do any justice to the graphics. Also, the stylus controls sound very gimmicky. I'm not really sure how this will work out, since one hand will have to control a lot of buttons. A Metroid Prime Hunters style control might or might not work. Then again, don't take my word for this; I'm really bad at game design. But another thing you should consider is how much this port will be able to handle. Remember that memory is very limited. Level sizes will have to be kept small, and events (JCS events) will have to be kept few. Going in and out of levels, which many DS games do in order to load the next level, or next portion of a level, may not work in a multiplayer context.

bullseye, I was planning on a metroid-like controlling:
depending on which hand you use (lets go with right)
arrows for movement, left trigger for shooting
abxy for changing weapons
stylus: depending on where you point on the screen your character will aim that direction and shoot. If you drag the stylus on the screen your character will aim towards it but will not shoot. if you click on your character and drag it towards north, east,west or south you change weapons just like using abxy.

Resources
Again, I'm not trying to completely destroy this project, but I have to wonder how much effort you have spent or are willing to spend in this. Is it going to be a one-man programming team? You did start this thread requesting for help, but the help required (sprites, sounds, levels) are nothing more than trivial aspects to the entire game creation process. At the very least, will you be designing and programming the entire thing yourself?

I have a few friends who are willing to help and are interested in coding for the DS, but I am pretty sure that I will have to do the major part of the work. In fact I rather do things myself. Of course it won't be released soon, since I have some php code to take care of first, and I attend Uni. But seeing the other jazz projects I think it will be done faster than those.
eidt: the reason I started this thread now, because I am almost ready with the engine and I didn't know how much time would it taken to get all the sprites. So I thought the sooner the better. Well ,should have used the search for other things than levelpacks and music

Programming
Finally, the section in which I'd consider myself most experienced in. This section alone can be broken into multiple subsections, but I'll have to start somewhere. Firstly, the engine. Why would the engine be written in java first, only to have it later converted to C++? Unless it was a generic engine, but this will not work very well. Not to say that JJ2 is an extremely complicated game, but the engine should be made to revolve around the game, rather than taking some engine and customising it to meet the game specs. In other words, it should be programmed directly in C++, and probably after the design stage is finalised.

it's just that I had to write some random java homework for my school so I thought I should kill two birds with one stone. I wrote the engine in java, so I could get an A on it from my school and use it for the project later. Yes it is indeed generic, but besides the eventListeners for the keyboard/mouse events and the main threads everything works the same.

Then there's also the porting aspect. At this stage, only j2nsm has the source code to jj2 but they will never give it to us so that is not an option. Since there is no source code of any sort, the only way to port or remake will be to default to experimentation or reverse engineering of some sort. In which case, it is definitely a better idea to create a "port" or remake on the PC itself; think OpenJazz2. Only when you get something that works closely enough to the original will it be worthy of porting.

remake with the same textures and music not port. my bad

btw even if I had the code, I still wouldn't port it. it's just too booring that way.

Last but not least, programming on the DS. This is what I am most skeptical about. Like ahat has already shown a few times, it is almost certain that you have never programmed any DS homebrew. Perhaps you considered learning the ropes while working on the project. This might work for windows programming, which requires lots of trial and error. But DS programming is very specific, and if it is indeed your first project, you may want to consider my first option. Which is to remake on the PC first then port it to the DS.

you are almost right, actually seeing the palib documentation and tutors alone made it look easy enough to be done. Some changes in the plan alone won't make me cancell the project. In fact I have already made an idiot of myself here so it would look stupid if I would give it up.

Conclusion
Consider whether this project will be realistic. Probably start with something slightly lighter and proceed from there.

hahaha no, I prefer deep water

Epilogue
OK, I tried to keep this criticism as free of attacks as possible. My apologies if it sounds rather offensive, but I believe it best to correct the entire thing before it starts to go wrong. Also, NDS > PSP!!!
no it's ok it was rather helpful, if you have any more toughts on this, please feel free to share it with me.

ahat
Nov 19, 2007, 08:27 PM
Alternative options? How isn't 4MB of RAM your limit? The only other way you'd get extra RAM is from certain slot 2 devices (Opera ramcart, certain flash carts, M3 has a ramcart). But at which point you'd be forcing a user to buy certain hardware to be able to play the game, and that just isn't right.

Pass tasks on to other parts of the hardware? I hate to tell you man, but all you have is the ARM9 and ARM7, and the ARM7 isn't going to do much for you.

You wanted to use MP3's earlier, you obviously don't know what you're at, and your project is nothing more than a sham. Stop fishing and go back to your "speed-painting".

sedthh
Nov 19, 2007, 08:35 PM
you know this just made me want to do it even more and then laugh in your face

thanks for the boost man, now you can be 100% sure that I will make it

ahat
Nov 19, 2007, 08:49 PM
you know this just made me want to do it even more and then laugh in your face

thanks for the boost man, now you can be 100% sure that I will make it

Considering you think you can go beyond the limits of the hardware, I completely doubt that. I've done a lot of DS homebrew in the past.

Stijn
Nov 20, 2007, 02:47 AM
By the way, have you considered that using JJ2's sprites and the like is illegal?

Erik
Nov 20, 2007, 03:43 AM
I'm surprised by your choice for Java though, does that run on the DS?

very slowly

Speeza
Nov 20, 2007, 11:18 AM
I knew it was coming to the ds before all of you and most of the world :D

ahat
Nov 20, 2007, 09:47 PM
I knew it was coming to the ds before all of you and most of the world :D

Oh no! Ryder came for a lurk.

ThunderPX
Nov 21, 2007, 06:49 AM
By the way, have you considered that using JJ2's sprites and the like is illegal?

If it is going to work like OpenJazz, I'd say it would use the original game's files. Jazz2 isn't insanely big and would probably fit on a flashcart. It's been done with other games.

Stijn
Nov 21, 2007, 08:13 AM
I doubt that's the plan, as sedthh asked for the ripped game sprites in his opening post.

Pako
Nov 22, 2007, 09:45 AM
...weapon suggestions are welcome, so...

Deflector:

-Damage = 0
-Recoil | None
-Speed | None
-Reload | None (slowly takes away ammo)
-Special | Creates a shield that can be directed anywhere
-Hit | It can deflect other attacks

ahat
Nov 22, 2007, 09:55 AM

Deflector:

-Damage = 0
-Recoil | None
-Speed | None

Don't feed the llama.

Birdie
Nov 22, 2007, 05:10 PM
I have to agree with ahat on this. As for pako, it must be called the shine.

sedthh
Nov 23, 2007, 06:11 AM

Deflector:

-Damage = 0
-Recoil | None
-Speed | None

I was thinking of similar weapons also, because defelcting others bullets would be a lot of fun and make the game harder

another question:

jumping: you prefer the jumping you saw in jj1 (your speed remaions the same all the time) or the jumping you saw in jj2 (you slow down then speed up while falling)

Birdie
Nov 23, 2007, 03:04 PM
jj2 jumping style. Just so you know, all of the memory used by jj2 without further allocation for things like music, the level, and the tileset, is larger than four mb.

Dermo
Nov 23, 2007, 07:27 PM
Oh the PSP has 32 mb ram so it could run jj2. And the new PSP Slim has 64 mb of ram.

Anyway jj2 WOULD in fact work for NDS. I mean look at Mario 64 and the amount of ram that uses up but yet the textures and sound modules were compressed and able to be loaded in the Nintendo DS. So no doubt JJ2 COULD be built for DS. Would they? Doubtful. I have a DS and so far i have not been very happy with the graphics on the thing. When you're comparing something like Mario Kart to PSP's Twisted Metal: Head On their's no comparison. It's just the DS is cheaper and was better advertised.

FreeFull
Nov 24, 2007, 12:08 AM
I got the PSP. I'm wondering if I should set my PC up so I can remotely control it with my PSP (and therefore play JJ2 on PSP). Oh, and I would set my firewall so that my PC can be controlled only with the PSP, you know, just in case.

n00b
Nov 25, 2007, 01:17 PM
If you're really going through with this Sedthh, I suggest axing the Soldat control scheme. Sure it works with the DS' touch screen, but not very well in the context of JJ2. The only enemy that really requires precises aiming are the bees and those really don't show up often enough in the SP campaign.

sedthh
Nov 26, 2007, 05:00 AM
that's right but then again I would put in harder enemies than just turtles wandering around

also aiming at things like buttons and triggers while runing across the level should be a fun thing to do

if you get to aim really quickly from one direction to another while avoiding enemies, wouldn't that give you a small adrenaline rush?

ShadeJackrabbit
Nov 26, 2007, 02:29 PM
{sarcasm}I'm really glad that the forums have become so cynical...{/sarcasm}

Well, being an owner of a DS, this sounds like an interesting idea. I hope you somehow manage to pull this off. Now I'll just wait for the rabid packs of forumers to smack me down for trying to say something nice.

ShadeJackrabbit
Nov 27, 2007, 09:11 AM
Hey, I never said *I* wasn't cynical, but that doesn't mean that I have to start chanting for a project's downfall. I never said it was likely to finish, but it seems most people are grouping "I hope" with "is it possible." I usually do this too, and that's just my practicality. I have no clue how this is going to work, and I don't particularly care either, but when nobody is being supportive, I think someone should be. Thus, that's where I enter.

All I mean is that I wish there were more people who AREN'T cynical, including me. Now you're a very cynical person and I respect that, but I'm often surprised at how you lash out at almost anything. Even if you feel superior for some reason n00b, that means you should help people, not try to hurt them.

Now, you can either play nicely, and actually not be such as jerk, or you can start a long off-topic discussion.

-Sincerest regards, ShadeJackrabbit

P.S. And stop attacking every (-) post I make. It's really ticking me off.

ShadeJackrabbit
Nov 27, 2007, 06:50 PM
Oh dear god, SHUT UP.

sedthh
Nov 28, 2007, 11:35 AM
I love you all

NovaStar
Nov 28, 2007, 11:58 AM
We love you too

(conditionally)

Caffne
Nov 29, 2007, 09:43 AM
Everything is conditional.

Radium
Nov 29, 2007, 12:59 PM
Ah there we go, welcome to the club. Seriously though, this hyperbole is getting old. Stop it.
When you make a post like this, though, it increases the ratio of Shade's posts that you've attacked. So technically, by just calling it a hyperbole you're making it less of one.

Also, I should point out that this has nothing to do with Jazz on the DS, I love you all, and this is awesome if it sees completion.

ShadeJackrabbit
Nov 30, 2007, 01:10 PM
n00b, seriously: Shut up.

ahat
Dec 1, 2007, 01:28 AM
Oh the PSP has 32 mb ram so it could run jj2. And the new PSP Slim has 64 mb of ram.

Anyway jj2 WOULD in fact work for NDS. I mean look at Mario 64 and the amount of ram that uses up but yet the textures and sound modules were compressed and able to be loaded in the Nintendo DS. So no doubt JJ2 COULD be built for DS. Would they? Doubtful. I have a DS and so far i have not been very happy with the graphics on the thing. When you're comparing something like Mario Kart to PSP's Twisted Metal: Head On their's no comparison. It's just the DS is cheaper and was better advertised.

The amount of RAM in the DS is more than enough to create a game similar to what JJ2 is. That isn't the problem. The OP think he can go beyond the limits of the hardware, he's already said way too much and lost his credibility.

He wanted to use MP3's for the music in his game. He wanted people to do the unnecessary grunt work of riping the sprites, etc. He has no previous experience, or even any knowledge of the hardware he claims to want to develop on.

And on a side note, the DS is doing much better than the PSP because of available software and it's unique input options. ;P

Stijn
Dec 1, 2007, 07:09 AM
Stop it, you both, will ya :rolleyes:

sedthh
Dec 1, 2007, 09:49 AM
well I didn't feel like writing but this was a bit too much, so I gonna have to break this happy and peaceful meaningless flamewar between n00b and random people - sorry about it

The amount of RAM in the DS is more than enough to create a game similar to what JJ2 is. That isn't the problem. The OP think he can go beyond the limits of the hardware, he's already said way too much and lost his credibility.

Oh lawd as I recall you have been saying there's no way in hell one can make a jj2 like game for the DS, now it just turned out to be possible? Awesome. I never said I could go beyond the limits of the hardware, I said there are other options if you program a specified one. Think about the god(-) scene demos (not if I could do anything like those, I just wanted to bring up an example)

He wanted to use MP3's for the music in his game. He wanted people to do the unnecessary grunt work of riping the sprites, etc. He has no previous experience, or even any knowledge of the hardware he claims to want to develop on.

No I didn't. I said I wanted either .mp3's or.mods maybe. That doesn't mean I would use them, I went along with the mp3 because it is much easier for me to convert them and they are relatively small if someone tried to post them for help.

And on a side note, the DS is doing much better than the PSP because of available software and it's unique input options. ;P
indeed lol :D

Now if any of these misunderstandings have been caused by my lose usage of context and lack of grammar, have my apologies for having a mother-language different from yours

ahat
Dec 1, 2007, 11:57 AM
well I didn't feel like writing but this was a bit too much, so I gonna have to break this happy and peaceful meaningless flamewar between n00b and random people - sorry about it

1.) Oh lawd as I recall you have been saying there's no way in hell one can make a jj2 like game for the DS, now it just turned out to be possible? Awesome. I never said I could go beyond the limits of the hardware, I said there are other options if you program a specified one. Think about the god(-) scene demos (not if I could do anything like those, I just wanted to bring up an example)

2.) No I didn't. I said I wanted either .mp3's or.mods maybe. That doesn't mean I would use them, I went along with the mp3 because it is much easier for me to convert them and they are relatively small if someone tried to post them for help.

indeed lol :D

Now if any of these misunderstandings have been caused by my lose usage of context and lack of grammar, have my apologies for having a mother-language different from yours

1.)
wow thanks for all the ideas, and questions

I haven't paid much attention on how powerful the hardware is because there are always alternative options (so that 4 megs of ram doesn't mean you are limited to 4 megs only, and you can pass on most of the tasks to other parts of the hardware), but since jazz 1 could run on a 486 well I am confident.

It pretty blatant that you think you can go beyond the limits of the hardware. And even if you were making reference to a rampack (which I highly doubt, I think you just got that idea after reading my posts), it would still be a stupid idea.

Also, I would like you to quote the post where I said a JJ2-esque game couldn't be done on the DS. If anything, I would have said YOU couldn't make the game on the DS.

2.) You didn't want MP3's/MODs because you wanted to convert them, you wanted them because PALib has the ability to play MOD (and I assume mp3 now). If you wanted to convert them, you would've just used the .it version which you could easily obtain, and likely the same to rip the samples from.

And just for the hell of it, what would you have been converting the MP3's to? That's pretty interesting.

Stijn: removed personal attack

Stijn
Dec 1, 2007, 12:14 PM
ahat, criticism is fine, personal attacks are not. A less aggressive tone please or you'll get a warning.

sedthh
Dec 1, 2007, 12:16 PM
well you are right with the mod part, palib did support them but that's all

sedthh
Dec 1, 2007, 12:18 PM
ahat, criticism is fine, personal attacks are not. A less aggressive tone please or you'll get a warning.

lol no it's ok, not that I really care about what he thinks about me

Stijn
Dec 1, 2007, 12:24 PM
This forum, however, has rules which forbid blatant personal insults such as the one ahat made.

ahat
Dec 1, 2007, 01:07 PM
sedthh, would you please answer the questions I have in my reply to your larger post?

sedthh
Dec 1, 2007, 04:21 PM
sedthh, would you please answer the questions I have in my reply to your larger post?

Yes, and I am pretty certain that it will be the last reply you get from me for a while, because this stupid reasoning won't get us anywhere. As I can imagine, you are mad at me for being so confident and not having such experience on coding DS homebrews behind my back as you do. So what if I wanted to use palib? I just happen to have clicked on the very first link google gave me and I started digging into it, and I didn't know it was THAT slow and useless for such huge project. Now I'm going along with devkit.

And no I am not planning to use a rampack.

Seriously I am 100% sure I will at least release a beta of this game, but I do not know when. My exams and xmas is near. If I can just ask for one thing: please, if you do not want to post any advices or ideas on the project, then just ignore this thread. I do not want to read about how retarded and incompetent I am every day until I finish the game. You can all release your anger at me if I fail at this project later, I promise.

so lets get back on-topic shall we

Stijn
Dec 1, 2007, 04:48 PM
Seriously I am 100% sure I will at least release a beta of this game, but I do not know when. My exams and xmas is near. If I can just ask for one thing: please, if you do not want to post any advices or ideas on the project, then just ignore this thread. I do not want to read about how retarded and incompetent I am every day until I finish the game. You can all release your anger at me if I fail at this project later, I promise.
Word!

ahat
Dec 1, 2007, 05:10 PM
You didn't really answer my questions, though.

n00b
Dec 1, 2007, 05:38 PM
Idea: mid episode cutscenes akin to jj1 to explain how a lab leads to colonial times etc., unless someone already mentioned it and I didnt notice.

I will now open myself for attack mentioning said opening in some poorly constructed joke, and then become quite whiny when someone takes me up on my offer. Ready? Go.

Olsen
Dec 2, 2007, 08:13 AM
Uhm, just a question... Have there been ANY work done on the "port"?