PDA

View Full Version : Backing up off ftp/rsync

FQuist
Feb 16, 2009, 12:08 PM
I'm trying to streamline all my remote website/home computer backup processes to make them occur without me having to think about them, or at least for them to require minimum assistance (so that they aren't part of my mental noise and i don't have to think about them).

I've got a good setup to automatically download sql backups, but i'm looking for file backups too. I would like for my computer to automatically sync all files on my servers (including jazz2online). It would require some smart syncing thing like not downloading existing backups.

Does anyone have any ideas?

- Something that works on linux is much preferred
- Commandline would be ideal (like rsync but with ftp - most servers don't support ssh)
- Ideally cron-compatible

Torkell
Feb 17, 2009, 10:00 AM
wget might do the trick. It supports FTP, recursive downloads and not redownloading unchanged files. The recursiveness is more aimed towards mirroring websites via HTTP, so it may need some tweaking.

Remember to make sure that your backup system is running at the correct times and that the backups are actually usable (several people I know have lost data due to one or the other of those).

Ninja
Mar 4, 2009, 12:24 AM
give me admin, villian

FQuist
Mar 4, 2009, 11:45 AM
what