PDA

View Full Version : Cross promotion

EvilMike
Jun 5, 2009, 11:18 PM
Here's a random idea I just had. At the moment there seem to be three tournaments going on. There is of course JDC, and then there are two smaller tournaments being organized in this forum. I always like seeing new tournaments pop up, and finding new ways to generate interest is always a good thing...

So here is what I was thinking. How about the various tournaments being organized here are cross-promoted on JDC? The way this would work is whoever wins one of these tournaments gets points on JDC, assuming they have an account. The points would be added as an event.

I figure this would generate more interest in whatever tournaments players want to organize themselves, and perhaps even encourage more of them to happen. One benefit would be that news would be posted on the JDC site. It would also make JDC a bit more interesting, I think, by expanding its scope a little.

Of course, this is just an idea, for now. This will only happen unless the organizers here agree it's agree its a good idea, and decide to go through with it.

Probably nothing will come of this. JDC actually tried something like this <a href="http://www.jazz2online.com/jdcs/jdce/">before</a>, by running a single elimination tournament along side the main tournament, and it didn't work out. Mostly because we tried to do a bit too much in too short a time. The stuff going on right here is a bit different though, and I think more likely to succeed.

Still, I'd like to hear what people think of this idea, even if it's just a random thought that popped into my head literally 10 minutes ago.

CrimiClown
Jun 6, 2009, 02:49 AM
I like it already. I even think this should eventually be expanded way further to the point that any tournament contestant gets his or her statistics in the forum user profile as well, and just link all tournaments to the forum user.

Like many other forums, this could result in a 'point rank'. Except this doesn't use postcounts, but general tournament points. Let's say you played 15 matches and won every match. That gives you a win percentage of 100%, which will grant you the point rank of "Legend" or something.

...this however will take ages in equalising the point standard, making all tournaments earn you the same sort of points and all that jazz (pun intended).

Rabbit_King
Jun 6, 2009, 05:35 AM
Count me in too, ofc :).

Grytolle
Jun 6, 2009, 08:43 AM
Good idea!

Superjazz
Jun 6, 2009, 01:47 PM
I support this idea. I assume that there will be no prize for Battle Tournament however, since that's kinda an old tournament that has just a couple of matches remaining.

Vegito
Jun 6, 2009, 02:13 PM
The most common time it takes for a bigger tournament to finish is ..... months. I wonder if we'll get any finished tournament ;)