PDA

View Full Version : JCF reputation feature question

n0
Oct 13, 2010, 07:35 PM
I was looking around my User CP, and I didn't see a way to look up all the reputation I had received, just the last five or so comments. It would be nice if there was a way to look up all reputation received, so I can make further adjustments to my internet persona.

Thanks!
`n0

Jgke
Oct 13, 2010, 11:33 PM
Indeed. IF i get reputation, I get it for a single post, and I cannot see what the masses really think.
<small>..............But I don't</small>

Obi1mcd
Oct 13, 2010, 11:55 PM
I've barely got enough reps to bump a few off the bottom of the list. However, I can't seem to find the option either. Perhaps there isn't one.

Stijn
Oct 14, 2010, 04:42 AM
I've barely got enough reps to bump a few off the bottom of the list. However, I can't seem to find the option either. Perhaps there isn't one.

That's right, there is none; I'll take a look around the admin pages to see whether I can enable something like that.

Stijn
Oct 15, 2010, 08:35 AM
I've upped the amount of displayed ratings to 999, which should be enough for the time being.

Speeza
Oct 15, 2010, 08:51 AM
Thanks a bunch Stijn.

Jgke
Oct 15, 2010, 09:05 AM
Also, a button to display all ratings on a single post?

Stijn
Oct 15, 2010, 09:47 AM
Can't do that, I'm afraid, but it does display the thread title in the list, so you can probably find it out using that.

Jgke
Oct 15, 2010, 10:18 AM
I don't see how clicking the link to my post helps me see what did I get as my reputation messages.

Stijn
Oct 15, 2010, 10:32 AM
I mean that you can find out what ratings were for what post that way.

There's no feature that does exactly what you want, sorry.

Seren
Oct 22, 2010, 01:09 AM
Sorry that I haven't started 3 new very specific threads for these new rep questions, but I found this a bit unaesthetic.

1. What about Dermo's idea of "carrots" or other Jazz-themed things in exchange of green, red and white rectangles? I don't know a thing about programming, websites and the rest of this stuff but it sounds like an easy job imo - like, just replacing the original images with carrot images? Shouldn't even need any code changes, I think.

2. A "minor annoyance", maybe not even worth a fix: when I write a repcomment and my mouse accidentially slides on someone's nickname, the nickname menu appears and rep menu disappears. Fortunately, the repcomment stays as it was but it's irritating anyway.

3. If a person is <0 rep, it can't rep other people, what was told. Does it mean it can't even open the rep menu or just are its repcomments worth 0 points (neutral, white rectangle)? I mean, can I still get neutral repcomments from <0 people? If not, what can be a reason of getting a neutral repcomment from a person which joined a lot of time ago and has a lot of posts? Can, for example, admin warnings cause it?

Stijn
Oct 22, 2010, 02:28 AM
1. I totally forgot about that, I must admit. I'll see what's possible, though the problem with carrots is that they'd have to be a lot bigger than the squares used now to be recognizable, and I like this size. But I'll look into it.

2. Not possible to fix that without hacking into the vB code, which I don't want to do.

3. As far as I know, neutral comments (with a grey square in front) are always from people with 0 reputation.

Posting questions like these here is fine, by the way. It's just the theorizing and flaming that should be kept out.

Nonomu198
Oct 22, 2010, 07:03 AM

Are you messing with it atm?

Jgke
Oct 22, 2010, 07:37 AM
Seems so. All the positive reputation images are gone, while neutral and negative remain.

Seren
Oct 26, 2010, 07:17 AM
Also, a button to display all ratings on a single post?Can't do that, I'm afraid, but it does display the thread title in the list, so you can probably find it out using that.I don't see how clicking the link to my post helps me see what did I get as my reputation messages.I mean that you can find out what ratings were for what post that way.

There's no feature that does exactly what you want, sorry.
Maybe I don't understand what were you talking about, and this is a bit late, but I believe that when you press the rep button next to your own post, all the ratings for it are shown (what is a well-known fact, I thought, so maybe you meant something different?).

Jgke
Oct 26, 2010, 08:14 AM
Thank you SE. That's about what I was looking for...

Toni
Oct 26, 2010, 09:55 AM
I was negrepped for the first post in "Chuck Norris jokes" topic. Comment was "2006 called, they wanted their Chuck Norris jokes back". Can anyone explain me what it means? I got -6 pts because I just wanted to make you guys laugh. Really, this system becomes fantastic. Can anyone explain me how the system works? If someone negrep you, you can get -10 pts. Also if someone give rep to you, you can get +2 pts. How does the system decide how much pts will someone get? Does it depend on the comment lenght ? Or maybe of user's rep who gives rep and user's rep who receives rep?

Dermo
Oct 26, 2010, 10:27 AM
I kept positive-repping you until I lost my privelages. I agree that there's no reason for you to be losing rep like that for a post that I, myself, found particularly funny.

Lithium
Oct 26, 2010, 10:46 AM
let's just disable this

Speeza
Oct 26, 2010, 10:48 AM
I was negrepped for the first post in "Chuck Norris jokes" topic. Comment was "2006 called, they wanted their Chuck Norris jokes back". Can anyone explain me what it means? I got -6 pts because I just wanted to make you guys laugh. Really, this system becomes fantastic. Can anyone explain me how the system works? If someone negrep you, you can get -10 pts. Also if someone give rep to you, you can get +2 pts. How does the system decide how much pts will someone get? Does it depend on the comment lenght ? Or maybe of user's rep who gives rep and user's rep who receives rep?

It depends all on, posts , how long you have been a member, and your own reputation. For instance I could give +6 rep and give -3 negrep. Until my reputation privileges got taken away also for being a moron and abusing it.

Stijn did actually post somewhere how the system decides.

Stijn
Oct 26, 2010, 11:02 AM

I suppose what that means is that someone thought your thread was kind of late to the party, as the Chuck Norris joke are kind of a dead horse, beaten again every now and then - it's really (http://www.jazz2online.com/jcf/showthread.php?t=15301) old (http://www.jazz2online.com/jcf/showthread.php?t=18083).

Score someone can give depends on the user's own reputation, amount of posts, when he or she registered, stuff like that - basically, if you're a veteran posters with high reputation, your opinion carries more weight.

Troglobite
Oct 26, 2010, 11:21 AM
Out of curiousity, exactly how long does someone have to be around for the system to consider them a veteran? And how much of a difference does it make, relative to the user's own reputation, amount of posts, etc?

Stijn
Oct 26, 2010, 11:23 AM
It's not a hard limit, the reputation you give goes up as your registration time and post count goes up (though your own reputation is still by far the most important factor).

To keep things interesting I'm not gonna give you the exact numbers ;)

Toni
Oct 26, 2010, 11:46 AM
Can you please delete my topic? Put the reason "Author wanted this to be deleted".

minmay
Oct 26, 2010, 01:08 PM
I was negrepped for the first post in "Chuck Norris jokes" topic. Comment was "2006 called, they wanted their Chuck Norris jokes back". Can anyone explain me what it means? I got -6 pts because I just wanted to make you guys laugh. Really, this system becomes fantastic.
If you post something that someone doesn't like, they may form a somewhat negative opinion of you, and they may reduce your reputation accordingly.
This is exactly what the system is supposed to do - that's why it's called a reputation system, rather than a helpfulness evaluation system or something.

It's not like you have to participate in it. Nobody's forcing you to care about that number next to your post, and certainly nobody's forcing you to give people reputation.

Obi1mcd
Oct 26, 2010, 03:58 PM
I've only given/taken rep twice anyway. By the way, I believe there was a reason the first rep thread was closed. Too many people were arguing about it. This seems like it's turning into a repeat.

Troglobite
Oct 26, 2010, 09:07 PM
It's not a hard limit, the reputation you give goes up as your registration time and post count goes up (though your own reputation is still by far the most important factor).

To keep things interesting I'm not gonna give you the exact numbers ;)

Alright, thanks.

By the way, would it be possible to allow for normal users to make neutral rep comments? I don't always feel posts I want to leave a message on are good or bad enough to really require rep.

CrimiClown
Oct 26, 2010, 11:25 PM
Also, a button to display all ratings on a single post?

If you have multiple ratings on one post, go to that post and press the rep button on your own post. It should display all comments you had on that post.

Violet CLM
Oct 27, 2010, 12:50 AM
You are thirteen posts too late.

Stijn
Oct 27, 2010, 11:04 AM
I've only given/taken rep twice anyway. By the way, I believe there was a reason the first rep thread was closed. Too many people were arguing about it. This seems like it's turning into a repeat.
So far it's mostly people asking questions about how stuff works, or requesting features. That's fine.

Obi1mcd
Oct 27, 2010, 05:55 PM
Yes, you're right. I was just a bit tired, anyway.

CrimiClown
Oct 28, 2010, 11:00 PM
You are thirteen posts too late.

I guess I am. I should read better... or be less drunk.

Toni
Oct 29, 2010, 03:08 AM
or be less drunk.

It's a better solution, imo xP.

Dermo
Oct 29, 2010, 05:19 AM
No... he should definitely read better.

Troglobite
Oct 29, 2010, 10:16 AM
I guess I am. I should read better... or be less drunk.

One or the other. But not both.

Lithium
Oct 30, 2010, 01:06 PM
It's not like you have to participate in it. Nobody's forcing you to care about that number next to your post, and certainly nobody's forcing you to give people reputation.

You maybe do not care about your own reputation points,but other people do care about your points. People reject to help or even agree with people who have low reputation (for example,a guy with low rep posted a funny video,and someone replied "I'd rather not check this because of his reputation"),because "he has low reputation so his posts aren't worthy". Let's just disable the rep feature.

Stijn
Oct 30, 2010, 01:14 PM
Aaaand there we go again.

What Ron97 says is theoretically possible, but so far I have seen absolutely zero evidence of that - though if I missed it, feel free to elaborate. In fact, from what I can see in the admin panel most reputation ratings make sense, more or less - except of a lot of the ones Dermo or Speeza did, and they are no longer able to rate posts.

So, let me repeat, no theorycrafting about how the reputation feature may or may not mean the inevitable doom of these forums without something concrete to back up your claims.

cooba
Oct 30, 2010, 01:18 PM
for example,a guy with low rep posted a funny video,and someone replied "I'd rather not check this because of his reputation"),because "he has low reputation so his posts aren't worthy"You mean <a href="http://www.jazz2online.com/jcf/showthread.php?t=18911">this thread</a>? I think it's safe to assume that it was a case of "he has very low reputation and he registered only this month, which means he's probably a troll, so why would I want to click anything that he finds funny?"

Lithium
Oct 30, 2010, 01:22 PM
Well maybe,but I think that's not right even if it isn't funny or whatever. Don't judge people by reputation...

cooba
Oct 30, 2010, 01:28 PM
Don't judge people by reputation...But then what's the point...?

Lithium
Oct 30, 2010, 01:36 PM
For example,take away all my reputation. No one will listen to me. Then give me 300 reputation points,and people will worship me. But did I change? No,just my reputation...

Stijn
Oct 30, 2010, 02:00 PM
For example,take away all my reputation. No one will listen to me. Then give me 300 reputation points,and people will worship me. But did I change? No,just my reputation...

That's an exaggeration.

The idea behind reputation is that it servers as a quick, crude indication of a poster's quality. So far this seems to work, more or less, as people who generally contribute useful content have a high reputation, and those who are rude or break the forum rules (and have been banned before) often have lower reputation. People are obviously free to read a post regardless of the poster's reputation; it's still their call. You can ignore it as well, if you think it's a stupid feature.

The example you gave, for MrBucket, was - in my opinion - an example of the system working as intended. The guy had just registered, <em>already</em> had negative reputation after only 4 or so posts, so there's a possibility that his future posts are also relatively worthless. If you decide to be selective with regards to what posts you read, then that would be a pretty good choice of criteria for what posts to skip.

Toni
Oct 31, 2010, 07:59 AM
Is there a list where we can see who has the biggest reputation?

Stijn
Oct 31, 2010, 09:00 AM
Nope.

Toni
Oct 31, 2010, 09:24 AM
is it possible to there be one?

minmay
Nov 1, 2010, 07:20 AM
People are going to judge you by your reputation regardless of the reputation system.

Speeza
Nov 1, 2010, 01:18 PM
Mimmay makes a good point. People will even judge you from your avatar and signature. I know I do sort of. Gives a tiny insight to what sort of person that can be.

[GpW]Urbs
Nov 1, 2010, 01:58 PM
dang nabit, didn't even notice the option to enhance somebody's reputation!!
I just thought it goes up with activity:)
That's why I've been stuck at 26!!
Is it my poor manners?
:)

Violet CLM
Nov 1, 2010, 04:11 PM
Toni: There's an option on the memberlist search to sort by reputation, but it doesn't seem to work. At least prospectively, though, such a list is possible!

Toni
Nov 2, 2010, 11:42 AM
Thanks. Is it going to be fixed?

Stijn
Nov 2, 2010, 11:43 AM
If it's easy to do, maybe. I'll put it on the ever growing todo list.