PDA

View Full Version : Lori is good in online game or not?

burnout92
Mar 5, 2013, 08:05 AM
I thought about to play with Lori in online. Because too many people said her jump is not enough high and buggy...etc. What do you think her is a good choice or not?

Grytolle
Mar 5, 2013, 08:13 AM
No, she's no good. But:
-it's possible to deliberately design maps so that she has an advantage for example by kicking through thin walls
-some players are pretty good despite using Lori

burnout92
Mar 5, 2013, 08:32 AM
But I will give a try for her. Lori is same buggy with the newest Plus patch?

Jett
Mar 5, 2013, 10:49 AM
Lori is my best character, in my opinion. However you will find it is different for everyone because that is the nature of gaming. I find that using the special jumps of Jazz or Spaz is actually most of the time more risky than rewarding because the amount of time you are delayed or slowed by using that move. Lori can instead take a powerup with full ammo in the shortest amount of time, faster than Spaz sidekick or Jazz uppercut, and without moving as much either. And lately I am playing as Jazz anyway. The disadvantage of jumping not as high for Lori is also true. But her advantage is speed and range of movement when taking powerups. And the ability to kick through some walls.

My take on this is probably based on Lori being most similar to JJ1 Jazz because of her jumps and me being first a JJ1 player. The characters seem more or less balanced, ignoring the fact that Spaz is the most popular in JJ2.

burnout92
Mar 5, 2013, 11:23 AM
So this a yes? Anyway, I like Lori, but I will try how her goes on a online game.

Lithium
Mar 5, 2013, 11:58 AM
The fast sidekick and copter could be useful, though the ability to doublejump is a fair trade. Lori is still a better option than Jazz, though.

burnout92
Mar 5, 2013, 01:15 PM
The fast sidekick and copter could be useful, though the ability to doublejump is a fair trade. Lori is still a better option than Jazz, though.

I glad to read this. :D Because I like Lori, but I'm never played with her in online. When I played the Christmas Chronicles I decided to play with her in online.

Love & Thunder
Mar 5, 2013, 07:08 PM
Wrong. A few years ago, I scientifically(Or as close as you can get with a 2D Run and Gun Platformer from 1998) proved that Lori is serverely handicapped compared to Jazz and Spaz. I also proved that Jazz has many benefits that Spaz does not even come close to matching(Jazz jumps several times farther than Spaz, and jumps slightly higher). So actually, Lori is the worst option.
Although, each character has their own benefits, and there are many different situations for each character that make them better than the others, so really, none of them are the best, or the worst. It just depends on your play-style. Although, I strongly disadvise using Lori due to bugs.
So, really, There is no best or worst character. Just choose whichever one best suits the way you play.

tl;dr: Lori is fine online if she fits your play-style.

burnout92
Mar 5, 2013, 11:52 PM
So what now? Now I play with her or not in online? Because in single player is best choice Lori for me. :D

Lithium
Mar 6, 2013, 04:42 AM
Wrong. A few years ago, I scientifically(Or as close as you can get with a 2D Run and Gun Platformer from 1998) proved that Lori is serverely handicapped compared to Jazz and Spaz. I also proved that Jazz has many benefits that Spaz does not even come close to matching(Jazz jumps several times farther than Spaz, and jumps slightly higher). So actually, Lori is the worst option.
Although, each character has their own benefits, and there are many different situations for each character that make them better than the others, so really, none of them are the best, or the worst. It just depends on your play-style. Although, I strongly disadvise using Lori due to bugs.
So, really, There is no best or worst character. Just choose whichever one best suits the way you play.

Jazz is rather good, but in single-player only; his "advantages" are rendered useless by the fast speed of CTF matches.

burnout92
Mar 6, 2013, 09:10 AM
I tried Lori today in online game. She faster than Jazz or Spaz. I think she is a good choice for me. I has'nt sense any bug for while. In Battle Mode a little weak, but I can balance the run speed and firepower.

Treylina
Mar 9, 2013, 10:01 AM

Lol, make up your mind. Proved scientifically? What. You're talking about a video game, not a physics experiment. I've never seen you play online. Jazz does not jump higher than Spaz. Run and double jump is higher and faster than uppercut, even so, it is more versatile on what it lets you get up to. Lori unrecommended due to bugs? Plus fixed the main issues with her (not being able to use copters, colours not changing properly). Wallkick is a glitch (and hard to fix) but it usually helps more than it hinders, but hard to perform most of the time.

I used Lori a lot, and it usually depends on the level you're playing. Some popular levels don't work so well as her, for example battle1, facing worlds, gauntlet(urgh this level), semiconductor (I know about the wallkick tricks, but the lack of a quick high jump is hindering) and jungles edge. Admittedly, I generally find Spaz better in multiplayer (except in ground force, where copter ears are a godsend, though actually I find Jazz the best in ground force where allowed) but I just find it more satisfying not to win with him. I agree with what some of the people said in this thread, it can help with taking PU's really fast. Her kick is also overpowered in streetfight, but I consider it a novelty gamemode. Learn to time high jumps with momentum, because you're going to need it. Also, all characters run the same speed. It's funny because I hear some people say Lori's the fastest, then some who say she's the slowest. It's an illusion. With the fast pacedness of online play, Jazzes uppercut in online play unfortunately isn't very useful, though there are some occasional situations and parts in some levels that uppercut reach only/faster, that Lori can't. Infact some specially placed powerups in a few levels are made to make uppercut work best on them.

TL;DR. She's good in some levels but be prepared for non friendly ones every now and then. JJ2+ fixed the annoying bugs out of her

burnout92
Mar 9, 2013, 10:59 AM
I'm understand. But she's have same run speed? Lori is faster then other Jackrabbits. But I can reach the higher places with Lori just know her technique.

Love & Thunder
Mar 9, 2013, 12:00 PM
Lol, make up your mind. Proved scientifically? What. You're talking about a video game, not a physics experiment.
Well, I couldn't think of decent word for how I tested it. Besides, I did point out that it wasn't quite science.
I've never seen you play online.
In a way, that's a good thing; I'm not that great. :L
Jazz does not jump higher than Spaz.
His Super Jump(Or Uppercut, if you like) is higher than Spaz's Double-Jump(At least, in my experiance, it is).
Run and double jump is higher and faster than uppercut, even so, it is more versatile on what it lets you get up to.
Okay, it MIGHT be higher, but I'm pretty sure it isn't. Although the rest, I'll grant you.
Lori unrecommended due to bugs? Plus fixed the main issues with her (not being able to use copters, colours not changing properly). Wallkick is a glitch (and hard to fix) but it usually helps more than it hinders, but hard to perform most of the time.
I didn't actually know that Plus fixed the Copter thing. I only recently got Plus working(Long story), so I'm not completely familiar with all the bugfixes and extra features.
I used Lori a lot, and it usually depends on the level you're playing.
Agreed. Although, I haven't played as Lori very much. :L
Some popular levels don't work so well as her, for example battle1, facing worlds, gauntlet(urgh this level), semiconductor (I know about the wallkick tricks, but the lack of a quick high jump is hindering) and jungles edge.
One of the points I was trying to get across with my post is that different Characters have different advantages and disadvantages at different Levels, so you're pretty much preaching to the choir here.
Admittedly, I generally find Spaz better in multiplayer (except in ground force, where copter ears are a godsend, though actually I find Jazz the best in ground force where allowed) but I just find it more satisfying not to win with him.
Fair enough.
I agree with what some of the people said in this thread, it can help with taking PU's really fast. Her kick is also overpowered in streetfight, but I consider it a novelty gamemode.
Well, I pretty much agree with that.
Learn to time high jumps with momentum, because you're going to need it. Also, all characters run the same speed.
I know this.
It's funny because I hear some people say Lori's the fastest, then some who say she's the slowest. It's an illusion.
Indeed. Although, I think the word/name you're looking for is "The Placebo Effect"
With the fast pacedness of online play, Jazzes uppercut in online play unfortunately isn't very useful, though there are some occasional situations and parts in some levels that uppercut reach only/faster, that Lori can't.
Okay, I'll give you that, although I find the Super Jump/Uppercut to be useful in quite a fair amount more situations than you make it out to be.
Infact some specially placed powerups in a few levels are made to make uppercut work best on them.
One of the aforementioned useful times.
TL;DR. She's good in some levels but be prepared for non friendly ones every now and then. JJ2+ fixed the annoying bugs out of her
Agreed. :)

(Sorry about the long post, but this was the best way to respond to Treylina's post)

Seren
Mar 9, 2013, 12:53 PM
I bothered to check exact values. Actual jump heights in ascending order, rounded to the nearest integer:

Spaz's double jump while standing: 211 pixels
Jazz's uppercut: 226 pixels
Jazz's golden jump: 239 pixels
Spaz's double jump while running: 296 pixels
Spaz's golden double jump: 317 pixels

Data for Spaz is approximate because jump height depends on timing of the second jump; actual maximum values might be slightly higher but certainly not lower.

cooba
Mar 9, 2013, 01:02 PM
Was completely surprised when I found this out the other day, but: Lori doesn't go as far upwards on springs and Jazz and Spaz do.

Foly
Mar 9, 2013, 01:23 PM
Was completely surprised when I found this out the other day, but: Lori doesn't go as far upwards on springs and Jazz and Spaz do.

There can only be one scientifical explanation for this:
Loris is fat, face it guys.

Treylina
Mar 9, 2013, 01:37 PM
Well, I couldn't think of decent word for how I tested it. Besides, I did point out that it wasn't quite science.

In a way, that's a good thing; I'm not that great. :L

His Super Jump(Or Uppercut, if you like) is higher than Spaz's Double-Jump(At least, in my experiance, it is).

Okay, it MIGHT be higher, but I'm pretty sure it isn't. Although the rest, I'll grant you.

I didn't actually know that Plus fixed the Copter thing. I only recently got Plus working(Long story), so I'm not completely familiar with all the bugfixes and extra features.

Agreed. Although, I haven't played as Lori very much. :L

One of the points I was trying to get across with my post is that different Characters have different advantages and disadvantages at different Levels, so you're pretty much preaching to the choir here.

Fair enough.

Well, I pretty much agree with that.

I know this.

Indeed. Although, I think the word/name you're looking for is "The Placebo Effect"

Okay, I'll give you that, although I find the Super Jump/Uppercut to be useful in quite a fair amount more situations than you make it out to be.

One of the aforementioned useful times.

Agreed. :)

(Sorry about the long post, but this was the best way to respond to Treylina's post)

Ok, there's SE's post to explain max jump height for pedantic proof. Most of my tips were directed to burnout, not everyone. When you're in situations being chased down by RF/pepper or need to rush to get a flag, uppercut doesn't quite cut it. If you go in public noob servers like The server and Zeal alpha, you're not going to get a good idea of usefulness in dangerous situations because there are so many poor players who don't know how to chase. Our impressions of how useful we find something is based on the situation we are in. If we aren't in the situation to use it well, or it doesn't work well when we need it after several times, we find it bad.

I found out this a few months ago. I think it's to do with her sprite hotspot, which appears to be more at the bottom and less at the top. It's still annoying in some levels though.

burnout92
Mar 10, 2013, 01:07 PM
Thanks the tips Treylina. :D And Lori isn't fat.

Ninja
Mar 11, 2013, 01:46 AM
Spaz > All

Love & Thunder
Mar 11, 2013, 06:36 AM
Spaz's double jump while standing: 211 pixels
Jazz's uppercut: 226 pixels
Jazz's golden jump: 239 pixels
Spaz's double jump while running: 296 pixels
Spaz's golden double jump: 317 pixels
Interesting. My tests indicated that Jazz won in both scenarios that I tested. Although, I didn't give Spaz a running jump in the Super-Jump VS Double-Jump in my tests(Which, debatably, makes it a bit more fair, but I'm really just nit-picking here), and I only did one height test. However, you forgot to mention that Jazz jumps further than Spaz. In fact, Jazz can go nearly twice as far as Spaz can.
(By the way, is a Golden Jump a Running Jump that causes the character to roll into a ball, a bit like Sonic does?)
And, as you said before, Spaz's jump can be higher if you time it right, but I still think that there is no best character.
Ok, there's SE's post to explain max jump height for pedantic proof. Most of my tips were directed to burnout, not everyone. When you're in situations being chased down by RF/pepper or need to rush to get a flag, uppercut doesn't quite cut it. If you go in public noob servers like The server and Zeal alpha, you're not going to get a good idea of usefulness in dangerous situations because there are so many poor players who don't know how to chase. Our impressions of how useful we find something is based on the situation we are in. If we aren't in the situation to use it well, or it doesn't work well when we need it after several times, we find it bad.
Fair enough. Although, as I previously mentioned, Jazz jumps nearly twice as far as Spaz, and can therefore, get out of some situations that Spaz would be doomed in. But, anyway, we all already know that Jazz and Spaz are equal, and we could argue about it all day, but we'd never get to any useful conclusion that we can both agree on, so let's get this thread back on track(Like Burnout has been trying to do for a little while).

So, to sum most of the previous on-topic posts up: Lori is actually quite useful online if she suits your play-style.

burnout92
Mar 11, 2013, 09:15 AM
Thanks everybody for the help me with jump datas and suggestions. :D I think Lori is equal with Jazz and Spaz. What do you think? What game mode is good for her?

Treylina
Mar 12, 2013, 09:23 AM
Read: Streetfight. Spam kick in a corner where you can do it infinite to win, unless you're unlucky with lag though you could possibly be hit by sugar rush if the level has food. It's a boring way to win though. I prefer fooling opponents and collecting food. It's basically no fire and there's a ton of poorly made levels for it.

burnout92
Mar 12, 2013, 10:56 AM
If you say so, but I doesn't tried, but I will don't try this thing. :D