PDA

View Full Version : Orange Games debug keys

Violet CLM
Sep 28, 2013, 09:04 PM
Apologies if this is old news, but I couldn't remember hearing about it, and I thought it was just really cute. You know the Orange Games video that plays when you open JJ2, with all the bouncing balls? Turns out it has a whole lot of debug controls.

The main ones are the P and I keys. P pauses the video for about a second, which honestly isn't very useful, but I freezes the camera (and prevents JJ2 from cycling to the next video at the end), allowing you to use all the other controls. Q and W strafe left and right; A and S strafe up and down; Z and X zoom out and in; and left, right, shift+left, shift+right, up, and down all control rotation in various dimensions. Hold ctrl to speed up the camera movement for any of those. Finally, 1, 2, 3, and 4 switch to the various default angles.

Useless, but pretty cool! And it crashes sometimes, but what can you do.

Love & Thunder
Sep 29, 2013, 01:11 AM
When I read the name of this thread, for a second, I thought this would be about a previously unknown Beta version of JJ2.
Although, this is still pretty awesome, and I will try it when I get an opportunity to. :)

Slaz
Sep 29, 2013, 09:12 AM
LOL! This worked on my regular 1.23 JJ2.

I always thought this video was pre-rendered and converted, but it's actually a live-rendered 3D animation. Never thought I'd learn that from a 10+ years old game. :p

EDIT: Here's a screenshot:

http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/6996/gfna.png

Jerrythabest
Sep 29, 2013, 10:32 AM
Now if only we could use that code to make 3D Bonus levels like in JJ1... :D

AWESOME FIND!

MrAlextov
Sep 29, 2013, 11:29 AM
I Will try to video about these Debug options.

Hare
Sep 30, 2013, 06:44 PM
Wow, that's crazy. o.o

DoubleGJ
Oct 1, 2013, 02:09 AM
wow, what else can j2v do

MrAlextov
Oct 1, 2013, 05:05 AM
wow, what else can j2v do

One day I tried to deleting alot of files for my JJ2 server to upload it easier, but after deleting all j2v files and the Orange still played.

Jerrythabest
Oct 1, 2013, 05:56 AM
Also, there is no Orange.j2v in my folder, so I suspect it's not even a j2v file, but just hardcoded goodness.

DoubleGJ
Oct 2, 2013, 01:39 AM
that's not nice

which file does it occupy then...

Violet CLM
Oct 2, 2013, 02:45 AM
data.j2d. The ball/s, anyway.

zapS
Oct 9, 2013, 03:16 PM
That's amazing! :O
Is there any page on j2o where undocumented jj2 features like this one are listed?
That would be great because such things are hard to find and I'm quite sure there is more stuff some people here take for granted but others have no clue about.

Speaktrap
Oct 16, 2013, 01:12 PM
The bilinear filter on the checkerboard looks identical to that used in the textured background, so I guess these are sharing one rendering engine. This might be interesting for the JJ2+ team

Love & Thunder
Oct 16, 2013, 05:53 PM
And while this thread has been revived, I'll say that I've tried this out in JJ2 TSF(LK Avalon, since my non-Avalon copy of the game is inaccessable), and -- while it was awesome -- it crashed a lot.

Speaktrap
Oct 17, 2013, 05:30 AM
I've tried this out in JJ2 TSF [...], and -- while it was awesome -- it crashed a lot.
These are version independent, but JJ2 will crash every time you try to flip the checkerboard - looks like it's one sided, and the engine doesn't exactly know how to render it from to other side.
So it chooses the quickest solution: crash

Violet CLM
Oct 17, 2013, 11:51 AM
that's my quickest solution to everything too

I don't think it's the same "rendering engine" as the textured background. They may use some of the same math, coincidentally or otherwise, but they don't actually call any of the same functions as far as I've been able to tell... other than a routine or two for figuring out how faded each row of pixels should be, the TBG-drawing code is honestly pretty monolithic.

MrAlextov
Oct 18, 2013, 12:30 PM
I Made a quick youtube video about the Orange video debug keys. (http://youtu.be/mhqc0jpRa5Q)

Black Ninja
Oct 18, 2013, 02:29 PM
Fascinating. Like others, I always assumed this was just a pre-rendered little video; fascinating to know that it isn't. I wonder if the same code is used anywhere else? It seems weird to me that they'd spend all the time needed to hard-code that into the game and just leave the code otherwise unused.

Stijn
Oct 18, 2013, 02:34 PM
Dunno, Arjan used to churn out stuff like this (http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=3540) all the time, so I don't think it would've been that much effort to write a bit of extra code for this intro (which they could re-use for hypothetical other Orange Games games)... the intro might actually even borrow some code from projects like that, it's the same kind of 3D after all.

Seren
Oct 18, 2013, 03:20 PM
Or we can connect this piece of information to another completely unrelated one and pretend they fit together.Initially, between each “scene” there was to be a 3D time warp sequence in which Jazz and Devan were to battle with each other until they reached the next destination. Arjan actually coded a 3D sequence for it which looked pretty damned cool. We just couldn’t make it work.

Love & Thunder
Oct 18, 2013, 06:37 PM
Wow, another remnant of an unfinished feature. I'm surprised that we're still finding these 15 years later.

Violet CLM
Oct 18, 2013, 07:10 PM
Remind me to tell you sometime what the "RandomFly" parameter on crate events does.

Jerrythabest
Oct 19, 2013, 09:09 AM
Haha, you can't even make a video of that one. The thing is so random nobody would possibly understand what they were looking at.

Darkhog
Oct 25, 2013, 09:43 AM
Now if only we could use that code to make 3D Bonus levels like in JJ1... :D

AWESOME FIND!

I've read that they were planned, but scrapped. Maybe this thing was used to test 3D controls for it? You know, test level that was turned into logo.

Love & Thunder
Oct 25, 2013, 09:31 PM
Umm...
Or we can connect this piece of information to another completely unrelated one and pretend they fit together.
Initially, between each “scene” there was to be a 3D time warp sequence in which Jazz and Devan were to battle with each other until they reached the next destination. Arjan actually coded a 3D sequence for it which looked pretty damned cool. We just couldn’t make it work.