PDA

View Full Version : The Defection

Speedy
Nov 4, 2001, 07:07 PM
The Defection

Part 1 - Old Friends
------------------------

"You sure you're going through with this like the rest of us?" Key asked, sitting at a small table inside her cell with Speedy, a friend. "Last time, you backed out, some of our was team killed and we never escaped."
"They had me trapped, I wasn't as strong as I am now," Speedy replied, nervously looking down at his feet. "Really, I know we'll make it out this time, once we do, we're free from Devan's rule." Speedy, Key, and thousands others lived in war training camp all their lives, being torn from the outside world and their own shells and being forced only to fight eachother in preparation of war. Key had bonded with Speedy and the other turtles in the camp so strongly they made a pact to one day escape as a group.
"I know you will, we let you slip up last time, this time we back each other up. No one will slip this time; only the guards will be killed. We're all faster and smarter, and we've all learned the guards' technique. We're against great odds and a strong opposition, but the guards work alone," Key encouraged. "Speedy, before we go tonight, I have to give you two things, one, this." Key held out a small Obsidian dagger smoothly carved but stained with blood and scratched from age and use. "My other gift, a warning. When we escape here, we'll leave many memories, some will be the brutal opponents you've faced here, the bonds you've made and your lost brothers. When we leave, you'll be haunted by these." Key paused, and looked at her hard, thick skin from under her suit. "One other thing I must tell you before we prepare. Don't be surprised if the rabbits don't welcome you warmly. We'll fight along them, not with them, at least at first. Now go and warm up, I'll meet you with Tripp and the others at guard shift swap at the shower room."
Speedy then disappeared into a drain hole to the floor below. Key shivered in the cold of the night and her fear that she would escape only to return to a dead family and a wartorn land.
"You'll miss your old friends, Speedy, your rivals that you've spent your entire life with," Key whispered. Speedy heard her echo from down the pipes.