PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Contest...?

Link
Dec 17, 2001, 07:17 PM
Well does anyone remember how last year I tried making a JJ1 Christmas contest? Well it didn't really work out, because everyone got mad at me for copying the original contest on jazzjackrabbit.com, and hardly anybody joined.

Well I'm thinking of trying again this year, and I'm posting this poll to see if people are interested in the contest this time. Basically you have to get the highest score that you can on a JJ1 Holiday Hare (I haven't decided which one yet), then post a screenshot here of your score.

Whoever gets the highest score will win win win WIN WIN!

(if I can think of a prize...ok if you are interested post prize ideas here)

Krezack
Dec 17, 2001, 10:57 PM
a prerelease of one of j2hg's programmes (benign ones) ?
um i would say a copy tsf or jj3 but i'd be shot dead.

Link
Dec 18, 2001, 06:57 AM
Well...what about a pre-release of JJ2 Admin Kit Server 2.x? That seems like a good prize, and then it will make me have to work on it and not put it off any longer...

So if I get a few more votes for yes, I'll start the contest officially. I'll probably make the contest deadline about January 6th, which will give me lots of time to finish the program, and everyone else lots of time to beat HH.

Unhit
Dec 18, 2001, 07:27 AM
I think it's too easy to modify screenshots...

Rage
Dec 18, 2001, 08:10 AM
I can't make screenshots in DOS.

Enigma
Dec 18, 2001, 08:56 AM
uh, i seem to remember that at the contest on the Daily Carrot, the winners had astronomical high, impossible-to-get scores. Must be that they had used a cheat or made a fake screenshot. How would you prevent that here?

Buster
Dec 18, 2001, 08:58 AM
Suggestion?

Use the first Holiday Hare. The second is to easy to get a high score on because of a one-up near the end. Thus the prize goes to whoever has the most time on their hands.

Actually, could be the same thing in the first one, but I don't remember a one-up...

I suppose you could use HH98 as well, if enough people have that.

~Buster

Link
Dec 18, 2001, 12:44 PM
Well...if the screenshot was not modified, then the the "created" date and the "modified" date will be the same.

To take a JJ1 screenshot, press BACKSPACE+F2, and the file will be stored as screen-x.lbm, where x is a number. If people who enter send me the file as the original .lbm file, then I'll open it myself and check the dimensions and the pallete and the file size and the creation\modified dates.

So I still want some more "Yes!!!" votes on the poll, and if I get, say, a 5:1 ratio (so 5 "Yes!!!" votes for every 1 "No." vote), then I'll start the contest.

If you can't get JJ1 to work on your computer, then send me a private message or an ICQ (60009299), and I'll help you fix it.

Ice M A N
Dec 18, 2001, 01:00 PM
It's still too easy to cheat.. I think I did it before, just so I could get a higher score than the one from jj.com. (Of course, then it would be an obvious cheat since the points only go up by like 50s and anything higher than the one which won on jj.com wouldn't show up right)

Monolith
Dec 18, 2001, 03:52 PM
The creation and modified timestamps will be set to the time when you save the file onto your computer (I believe).

Txl Kill
Dec 18, 2001, 04:14 PM
This is to easy to cheat! Sorry link but all people have to do is modifiy the picure, save it, then make a copy of it! It will have the same creation date and last modified : (! I think the contest idea is good tho maybe we can think up somthing else!

Link
Dec 18, 2001, 04:15 PM
Ok I don't really want this to get into a big argument about how easy or hard it is for people to cheat. I just want to run a successful contest. People can be honest, you know...

And I'll check to the best of my ability to whether the person cheated, and if they slip past my examining, then...oh well. It isn't like this is for a million dollars or anything. It is just supposed to be a fun contest.

So far, I have more no votes than yes votes, so if you want to enter...vote yes!!!

Violet CLM
Dec 18, 2001, 07:30 PM
Ok. Sounds good to me.

I promise I won't edit my screenshot's score!

Unhit
Dec 18, 2001, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by Link
Well...if the screenshot was not modified, then the the "created" date and the "modified" date will be the same.

To take a JJ1 screenshot, press BACKSPACE+F2, and the file will be stored as screen-x.lbm, where x is a number. If people who enter send me the file as the original .lbm file, then I'll open it myself and check the dimensions and the pallete and the file size and the creation\modified dates.

So I still want some more "Yes!!!" votes on the poll, and if I get, say, a 5:1 ratio (so 5 "Yes!!!" votes for every 1 "No." vote), then I'll start the contest.

If you can't get JJ1 to work on your computer, then send me a private message or an ICQ (60009299), and I'll help you fix it.

I don't think this will have any use. I think everbody will sned his screenshots as jpg/gif, and he can "create" them after he modified...
(Monolith is also right...)

Michael
Dec 19, 2001, 07:30 AM
I just need the game and I might need a speedhack to make it work. I got Jazz1 that works fine though (is that with speedhack or not?)
I'm jewish but Jazzed so I'm not in no Xmas contest, only a Jazz contest.
Anyway send me the game, it's freeware now right?

Spaz Boy
Dec 19, 2001, 11:50 AM
Go and look at Hazes Site (http://jazz3d.cjb.net ...not about JJ3d ;P) and you can download it there. Heh, I'll never win this. I lack skills at these. Plus, I can never seem to have my computer run long enough without freezing to beat the game. Ack, you mean to tell me you're going to wait THAT long before releasing 2x? ;P Well, I'm still sick and it still sucks. Adios for now.

~SB

Krezack
Dec 20, 2001, 05:17 AM
Link can you help me with jj1 over icq or in the tech forum?