PDA

View Full Version : XBox buys Jazz

Newspaz
Sep 13, 2002, 12:35 PM
At least, that's what would happen if Bill Gates got replaced by PC-Magazine's editor John C Dvorak. I quote:

Missing Strategies. Are there any gotchas or rabbits up Microsoft's sleeve? Unlike a lot of Microsoft's marketing efforts, which seem to stem from a monopolist's mentality of giving up too soon on an idea, I've always had the feeling that the game division at Microsoft was more aggressive. We'll see how long that lasts as the old-timers at HQ begin to meddle. Right now the marketing for Xbox seems adequate. One thing that is missing is the cute mascot for the box. Nintendo has Mario, Sony has Crash Bandicoot, and Sega still produces Sonic the Hedgehog games. 3DO never had a workable mascot and neither did many of the other even less successful companies in the gaming market. Is a missing mascot the kiss of death? I've always thought Microsoft should have partnered with Epyx, updated the cute Jazz Jackrabbit character, and adopted him for use as the mascot for Xbox. It's still a good idea.

More to be found over <a href="http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,24479,00.asp">here</a>. Thanks to my friend Lyris for bringing this up to me!

Super Saiyan
Sep 13, 2002, 12:39 PM
YAY! ^_^

Aiko
Sep 13, 2002, 12:39 PM
Heh!! Very cool, Newspaz. If Wakeman still had my comic scan from the Jazz1 manual up on J2S, you could enjoy that "somebody get my lawyers on the phone!!" quote from Sonic. You know, that lame hedgehog :-)

Disguise
Sep 13, 2002, 01:00 PM
DONT BADMOUTH SONIC!!! ;)

ICH, DISGUISE, BIN HAMMER GUT! o_0

sproedel
Sep 13, 2002, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by me
Hehey

Iam Canadian
Sep 13, 2002, 01:28 PM
Although I was a little skeptical after Newspaz's whole "JJ1 on Saturn" trick, I skimmed the article and...WOW!!! If Jazz DOES go to XBox, it might give me a reason to try it.;) It's unlikely but...I'm a pathetic dreamer.:p XBox is going for the "adult" machine gimmick PS tried but even the Playstation had Crash Bandicoot. The wee kids market is fairly large, and bringing Jazz to the XBox could give it a larger margin. Heck, if Jazz WAS brought to XBox, we could see a revival of the psychotic bunny and his friends (and enemies). I presonally think Jazz would be better suited for GameCube and NOT because that's the only next-gen console I own.:p Nintendo just seems to be the right place for Jazz. Nintendo is stealing everyone's mascots (they got Sonic now, and there's a Crash game on GBA) and Jazz would be awesome on GCN, especially when the modem for GCN comes out. Unfortunately, this is all just a hopeless dream...

||Slim
Sep 13, 2002, 01:49 PM
PS2! with NETWORK ADAPTER!

Trafton AT
Sep 13, 2002, 02:02 PM
Thank god for John. ;)

I actually frequent(ed) a board he posted on called Extremetech (www.extremetech.com) and mentioned Jazz Jackrabbit several times there. I'm certain I had nothing to do with this, since he likely didn't read those posts, but I am still very happy. This shows that there is still a chance JJ3 may be released. And, with this being mentioned on pcmag.com, we could see a few more players. I have one word for this happening:

w00000000000t!

Newspaz
Sep 13, 2002, 02:20 PM
Guys, if you would have read my thread you would have noticed that it's just the opinion of John C Dvorak that Microsoft should buy Jazz to make the XBox more popular.

However you all jump to conclusions before reading.

Lyris[SD]
Sep 13, 2002, 02:29 PM
Heh!! Very cool, Newspaz. If Wakeman still had my comic scan from the Jazz1 manual up on J2S, you could enjoy that "somebody get my lawyers on the phone!!" quote from Sonic. You know, that lame hedgehog :-)

I love Sonic :) We can't forget that without Sonic there'd probably be no Jazz. However Jazz is a much nicer game in many aspects IMO. Had to scan this tho

http://lyris.rawr-squared.net/jsonic.jpg

And nope, I seriously doubt Jazz will make an Xbox appearence, let alone another console appearance at all. If he did, it'd most likely be on PS2 or Cube.

Although I was a little skeptical after Newspaz's whole "JJ1 on Saturn" trick
Hey! I made that - Spaz only posted :)

ßúññ¥€lmérTbtCC
Sep 13, 2002, 03:02 PM
Jj on x box that is so cool and the most coolest thing is that i dont have a x Box sigh and i also wont get one..

ShadowGPW
Sep 13, 2002, 05:18 PM
Jazz is a PC Mascotte not Xbox.. please dont go like rare to Xbox.

Microsoft dominating the Console scene...thats not good imho.. the prices of those machines or games will just go higher then.

Bobby aka Dizzy
Sep 13, 2002, 05:26 PM
People, remember that the person who wrote that was just some guy that rants about new computer stuff and wrote that in November 2001. It's not like it is actually going to happen.

4I Falcon
Sep 13, 2002, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by Lyris[SD]
http://lyris.rawr-squared.net/jsonic.jpg

Zbuh? Where's this from?

If it's from the JJ1 manual, that would prolly explain it, because I got only the JJ1 CD when I got JJ2 (no manual :() And does Sonic really look that poony?

And on the issue of taking JJ2 to the XBox...

w00t?

Monolith
Sep 13, 2002, 08:44 PM
I'm not to thrilled about anything that's put on the X-Box.

Trafton AT
Sep 13, 2002, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by Monolith
I'm not to thrilled about anything that's put on the X-Box.

Same here, but I'll buy JJ3 if it comes out on a toaster, ANYTHING. XBox hate aside, you can't keep me away from JJ3.

Iam Canadian
Sep 13, 2002, 09:10 PM
Same. Despite my opinion XBox has zero good games (I'm not a fan at all of those psycho FPS's), I'd buy an XBox solely for JJ3. I want JJ3! *Whacks all those opposed to JJ3 with the Steel Pipe of Dishonor*

Chiyu
Sep 14, 2002, 01:43 AM
It's definately no reason to buy the expensive X-Box though.

Aiko
Sep 14, 2002, 03:28 AM
Yes, 4I Falcon, that's the scan i talked about above. It is indeed from the Jazz1 manual, as i already said :-)
Thanks, Lyris!!

Fawriel
Sep 14, 2002, 06:17 AM
OMGOMGOMG,if this really happened,Jazz' publicity would be so very (wordwordword)ehm.................up!^.^;;*destroy s dictionary*

Trafton AT
Sep 14, 2002, 11:40 AM
This article was from November 2001. Since it hasn't happened yet, it likely never will.

Trafton AT
Sep 14, 2002, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by ElectroPiZZa
This is obviously idealistic speculation on the editor's part. Plus, I hate the Xbox. Yay.

Yes, he is, after all, an editorial column writer.

I also hate the XBox but, like many, would buy it if it had JJ3.

Teej
Sep 14, 2002, 04:53 PM
If you don't want to support Microsoft, and if jazz ever comes to the X-Box (Which i think is extremely unlikely to happen) then you could just download CXBX (URL) when it's finished :D:D:D

Derby: URL edit. Both gray and dark area sites are not permitted for linking.

triptothane
Sep 14, 2002, 06:19 PM
Well i have an xbox. If it ever comes out I'll tell you what the game is like.

Batty Buddy
Sep 14, 2002, 07:13 PM
Que Passa!!!!

I'll just say this about X-Box, so far- I like some of the things they are reviving on it: Toejam and Earl, Oddworld, and now possably Jazz.

All they need to do now is make a 3D Aero the Acrobat game excusively for X-Box, and I might just buy it.

... Oh, and if they do, maybe they can throw in the sequal to the game "Sleepwalker". I loved that dog.

"Ding a ding dang my dang a long ling long."
-The ultimate cheat code for Sleepwalker

Krezack
Sep 14, 2002, 10:50 PM
No. Jazz is dead. HA HA HA!

Fawriel
Sep 15, 2002, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by Krezack
No. Jazz is dead. HA HA HA!
*gives Krezack an idiot confusing device*

Haze
Sep 15, 2002, 03:52 AM
Gee, that John. :) What's with him and Jazz?

"This disk, DVD, will replace CD-ROM faster than you can say 'Jazz Jackrabbit.'"
John C. Dvorak (PC Magazine, March 26 1996)

Trafton AT
Sep 15, 2002, 09:56 AM
o.O

*Thinks about the possibility that he's someone amoung us.*

Wow...Scary. :)

Ice M A N
Sep 15, 2002, 10:24 AM
"March 26 1996" That was my 10th birthday ;p

Trafton AT
Sep 15, 2002, 10:25 AM
Well, it seems as if he was still playing the original Jazz Jackrabbit after all of this time. I wonder if the XBox comment was about JJ1 or JJ2? He made both commends years after the respective games' releases.

Newspaz
Sep 15, 2002, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by Trafton AT
o.O

*Thinks about the possibility that he's someone amoung us.*

Wow...Scary. :)

Well, I've emailed him the url to this board. The exact words in his reply were: "intresting, scary.."