PDA

View Full Version : Is the time right for new jazz?

RockyR
Apr 18, 2003, 04:49 PM
Frankly yes, as I'm sure most people would agree.

Assuming behind the scenes the new Jazz projects is in the works, this period in gaming, which I am not entiely familiar with, seems much more responsive to such a thing than a few years ago when the original Jazz 3 got bagged.

I only have a few things to say, hopefully everyone else has more.
Mainly, I had noticed a lot of console games coming out with that animal action theme, at least three or four, such as rachet and clank, and that raccoon one. The Jazz Jackrabbit concept surely is above these, although I have not played them, due to its evolution through a few games rather than just being a new "pilot" of a game. Anyway, with these games accepted, due to the length of time that has passed allowing the range of games to expand, means that a "Jazz 3", especially if being done by epic rather than an attempt to recreate it with a different company, has a much brighter possible future.

Second point is, weaker but interesting, being Worms 3, which is underway and set for release in the fall - a game that has had a similar evolution and similar level of unique and addictive gameplay. This looks like it is maintaining in its attempt to keep with it the original gameplay while taking the concept into 3D.
PC games don't have too much spice lately, so it looks like this will be a good seller. Something like this would surely boost the ability for Jazz 3 (or whatever Jazz project may be planned) to be successful, especially if time is put into it.

"Stuff is good" (especially now?)

Bluez
Apr 18, 2003, 05:01 PM
Rocky!

*Hugs Rocky in thirds*

An' here all this time I thought to count you among the goned!

-Bluezy Bunny

Trafton
Apr 18, 2003, 05:11 PM
I fully agree. Unfortunately, getting the game out is the hard part.

(And, yes, stuff is still very good.)

Ninja
Apr 18, 2003, 05:45 PM
ROCKY RACOON!1111 >=O!!!1

What Traftoon said.
Yes, Traftoon.

KRSplat
Apr 18, 2003, 06:58 PM
I would prefer Jazz 3 on the PC over a console, thankyouverymuch.

heh. I was conversing with some people over the best console of GC, PS2 and XBox... we ended up with the conclusion that they suck compared to the computer. although some thought that XSquare has better graphics than a PC... lol.

Oldies galore! Rocky, Bluez... and I saw graphixJJF on #jj2 earlier today. What a surprise that was.

Newspaz
Apr 19, 2003, 02:25 AM
New jazz, new spaz, whatever.

Tik
Apr 19, 2003, 09:03 AM
I hope there is a Jazz3, and that it is on PC...but if it came out on a console it would still be neat. Except then I'd have to buy the console.

I hope whatever the case may be that...at least Jazz would still have that 'cartoony' style but at the same time be a little bit 'edgier'. I think that picture CliffyB gave is a good example of that.

Fawriel
Apr 19, 2003, 09:25 AM
Noooooooooooooooo, PC!
One of the things that kept JJ2 alive is the level editor! And you can hardly make any good levels on a console...except maybe GameCube or PS2, but those are too darn expensive for me...-_-

The SlaYeR
Apr 19, 2003, 01:12 PM
I own a Gamecube but it think it would work on an XboX to Pic, but lets not turn this into some console flame thing.
look at the Tony Hawk level editor, with a few improvements and addeptions that could work. Good points Rocky.

RockyR
Apr 19, 2003, 01:12 PM
I don't think they (Epic or whoever else involved) would touch the console where they can probably assume Jazz has a very small following, whereas on PC, the whole following is there. Thank goodness, is right. :D

KRSplat
Apr 19, 2003, 02:18 PM
I would say that JCS is the one thing that kept JJ2 alive.

Tik
Apr 19, 2003, 04:41 PM
JCS and multiplayer, however multiplayer wouldn't've lasted without JCS, so yeah.

Blackraptor
Apr 19, 2003, 05:18 PM
I agree. Without multiplayer, the game woudnt be much. Multiplayer cant exist without JCS though, JCS isprobably the main thing. but if we didnt have multiplayer, it would still damage the game badly.

defalcon
Apr 19, 2003, 06:49 PM
Well if the game uses the Unreal engine (most likely), it'll have a solid multiplayer code to work from and the Unreal Editor.

KRSplat
Apr 19, 2003, 07:50 PM
If the game is sold, I doubt if it would use another game's engine.. although if Epic is doing it, they don't need to sell it to themselves. Although because of some wacky thing companies are doing that I've never heard of, I'm probably wrong.

defalcon
Apr 19, 2003, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by KRSplat
If the game is sold, I doubt if it would use another game's engine.. although if Epic is doing it, they don't need to sell it to themselves. Although because of some wacky thing companies are doing that I've never heard of, I'm probably wrong.
...KRSplat, if Epic make it, they're gonna do it 3D. Their best 3D engine is the Unreal engine. Of course it's going to use the Unreal Engine.

Newspaz
Apr 20, 2003, 12:52 AM
Originally posted by defalcon
...KRSplat, if Epic make it, they're gonna do it 3D. Their best 3D engine is the Unreal engine. Of course it's going to use the Unreal Engine.

Well, you don't know if Lost Boys games comes in. And since they have a very powerfull 3D engine on their hands as well (at least, that's I have heard). It could use that just as well.

3D-level editors won't keep the game alive as long as JCS did. Just because they are a lot harder to use.

Hare
Apr 20, 2003, 01:52 AM
Not exactly. If epic made a lot of premade geometry, and blocks; then building a level could be just like placing tiles in JCS, but in 3D. Making your own geometry would still be like normal 3D editing though. The 3D equivelent of a custom tileset would be hard to do, though, but still, I'd love if level editing would be as easy as JCS, so people could make all those spiffy custom maps. If it will be as hard to figure out as the Unreal editor, I feel a lot of jazzers who make custom maps now, won't be making them in the next game.

defalcon
Apr 20, 2003, 06:11 AM
Originally posted by Hare
Not exactly. If epic made a lot of premade geometry, and blocks; then building a level could be just like placing tiles in JCS, but in 3D. Making your own geometry would still be like normal 3D editing though. The 3D equivelent of a custom tileset would be hard to do, though, but still, I'd love if level editing would be as easy as JCS, so people could make all those spiffy custom maps. If it will be as hard to figure out as the Unreal editor, I feel a lot of jazzers who make custom maps now, won't be making them in the next game.
*cough* Static Meshes in the UT2003 engine *cough*
Do your homework. ;)

Newspaz
Apr 20, 2003, 06:12 AM
If epic made a lot of premade geometry, and blocksYou've said it.

defalcon
Apr 20, 2003, 06:27 AM
Originally posted by Newspaz
You've said it.
Beat ya to it ;)

Hare
Apr 21, 2003, 01:36 AM
Static... meshes? What are those? By the word static, it sounds like it isn't a mesh premade by Epic but just some random computer generated geometry... hmm now there is an idea.

I thought the word "Mesh" only applied to models, though, and that level stuff was refered to as "Geometry".

Onag
Apr 21, 2003, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by Piccolo
Noooooooooooooooo, PC!
One of the things that kept JJ2 alive is the level editor! And you can hardly make any good levels on a console...except maybe GameCube or PS2, but those are too darn expensive for me...-_-

This may be the case, but unfortunately, game developers don't much care about the lifetime of their games. Sure, it's cool to have your game still played 5 years later, but it doesn't make you any money. Developers are much more interested in initial sales, which means (for console games) wizbang graphics, some cool new features, and a few multiplayer maps.

Jazz3D will be a console game (according to cliffyb's recent statements). However, if the game is based on the Unreal engine, there's no logical reason for not also doing a PC release. The code is already there. Epic knows it would be minimal work to port it to PC, and the benefits would be many.

-Nag

4I Falcon
Apr 21, 2003, 04:24 PM
OMG! It's Onag!

Indeed, JCS is one of the reasons JJ2, and by association J2O/JCF, exists. A UT style editor would be a great addition, but unfortunately would only be used by experts and real sticklers for detail. While I am a stickler for detail, I don't have enough of an attention span to build a good level in a 3D editor. In my opinion, there should be a JJ3dit (UT-style), and then a JJ3ditJr (Tony Hawk 2-style) for the goldfish-minded idiots like me.

Of course, that's just my humble opinion.

Hellraiser
Apr 21, 2003, 07:19 PM
*ahem*

anyway, It's almost inevitable that this game will end up on a console, (assuming that it even sees the light of day). The original JJ3 was going to end up on the PS2 anyhow.

This game could simply be a multi platform game, and still have online multiplayer capabilities, as the Gamecube, PS2, and Xbox all have online capabilities.

You could even have cross-platform online games on the same (ie PC player vs Gamecube player vs PS2 player), with the exception of the Xbox, which uses a closed network with its own server. (But who cares, Xbox sucks anyway)

A level editor would be esaiest to use on the PC, but the Gamecube and ps2 can pull it off as well. Prebuilt geometry and skins could come with the editor, and be downloadable for the PC and consoles. The PC editor could allow you to build these skins and geometric figures, and post them for other players to download and use, even on the console editors. The consoles can simply store these files on a memory card, (much like other games which support an editor like Tony Hawk 4 and Time Splitters 2.)

I just hope that this game sees the light of day, and more importantly, that it's well made, and FUN, as well as awesome graphics and music.... oh, and that if it somehow finds its way to the console world, that it hits GAMECUBE (sorry if that seems biased, but I don't wanna pay for another console)

well, I'm going back to wherever I've been hiding for the past few months, cya

Hare
Apr 22, 2003, 01:04 AM
I'm hoping for multiple ports, as well. I've got my PS2... I wonder if the PS2 might be able to go online with an existing internet connection, or do these systems only work with specialty ISPs? I won't do that if that is the case, then wait for a PC port... I ... can't... wait... that... long.... OK! I'll BUY IT!

Yeah, I'm gullable, then I'd like buy the PC version to play it online, after I already bought the PS2 version.... er... once it gets to a reasonable price, of course. :rolleyes:

P.S. The PC version should have mouse and keyboard support, then all us with our better controll will kick those console player's butts :D

"Hey, how are you hitting me? I was running circles around you!"
"Ah ha! Auto aim doesn't let you aim ahead of a moving target, now does it?" :D

... oh wait, they'd need a keyboard to talk like that.

The conversation would be more like this:

"...."
"Hahaha! Bow down! I own you at Jazz 3!"
"...."
"Say nothing if you are a newbie"
"...."
"Ha ha! I knew it!"

defalcon
Apr 22, 2003, 01:42 AM
Static... meshes? What are those? By the word static, it sounds like it isn't a mesh premade by Epic but just some random computer generated geometry... hmm now there is an idea.

I thought the word "Mesh" only applied to models, though, and that level stuff was refered to as "Geometry".
Meh, as I said in another thread, do your homework. Static meshes ARE models. They ARE premade by Epic (in UT2K3 at least), and allow for the creating of good looking levels (and don't ruin flow, providing that the author uses them right). They also render faster than BSP, and are loaded just once into memory, so they're not as hard on the hardware. Random computer generated geometry would be utter slop. :p
Originally posted by Onag
Jazz3D will be a console game (according to cliffyb's recent statements). However, if the game is based on the Unreal engine, there's no logical reason for not also doing a PC release. The code is already there. Epic knows it would be minimal work to port it to PC, and the benefits would be many.
Agreed. UT2K3 is doing much better than it's console cousin UC. PC forever!
Originally posted by 4I Falcon
Indeed, JCS is one of the reasons JJ2, and by association J2O/JCF, exists. A UT style editor would be a great addition, but unfortunately would only be used by experts and real sticklers for detail. While I am a stickler for detail, I don't have enough of an attention span to build a good level in a 3D editor. In my opinion, there should be a JJ3dit (UT-style), and then a JJ3ditJr (Tony Hawk 2-style) for the goldfish-minded idiots like me.
Again: if it uses the Unreal Engine, UED won't be an addition, it will be a given. In no way would a Tony-Hawk style builder be made; it's impractical given the power of UED, and it'd only produce crap levels. :p
Originally posted by Hellraiser

Prebuilt geometry? Again, UED. And forget Gamecube, heck forget consoles. He's a PC hero.
[B]P.S. The PC version should have mouse and keyboard support, then all us with our better controll will kick those console player's butts :D
...erm, all first and third person PC games these days have keyboard and mouse support.

Hare
Apr 22, 2003, 01:49 AM
Oh yeah :roll:

defalcon
Apr 22, 2003, 01:53 AM
Yuhuh. :D

stripe
Apr 22, 2003, 07:37 AM
www.bluesnews.com

(pag pointed this out to me today)

stripe

defalcon
Apr 22, 2003, 10:01 PM
Eheheh! Sweetness!

Shiverz CC
Apr 23, 2003, 02:07 AM
Hmmmm most of the console games that are multiplayer are deathmatch and capture the flag. The only game I have seen Coop is half life. It would be good it they made it Coop but and this is a big but ...

If it is a console game it may be like Sonic games that it only comes out for one console and I dont think if someones got a PS2 and its out for GC only will want to buy a GC ?

:(