PDA

View Full Version : Help me plz (Connection times out)

Zolter
Jul 27, 2003, 02:30 AM
I have this problem:
When I go into game i have message: Connection timed out
I open ports 10052-10057
I have LAN connection, server has got NAT Firewall
What can it be ? :confused:

Derby: Topic name edit.

Link
Jul 27, 2003, 08:18 AM
Could you give some more information about your NAT Firewall? Is it the kind included in Windows 2000\2003 servers? Or is it a third-party program?

Do you have any additional firewall software running on your computer? (like ZoneAlarm or the built-in Windows XP firewall)

What operating system are you running JJ2 on?
What operating system is your server?
Do you have problems with any other online games or internet software?

How many computers are on your network?
Do you have an additional router?
Or does the server have two network cards and connect both to your Cable\DSL modem and to your internal network hub\switch directly?
Does your network use DHCP?

Next time you post here, please read the two topics at the top labeled READ this before you post (http://www.jazz2online.com/jcf/showthread.php?threadid=5811) and For those having timeout\disconnection problems, and\or hosting problems (http://www.jazz2online.com/jcf/showthread.php?threadid=8023).

Zolter
Jul 27, 2003, 11:07 PM
Server is running some sort of UNIX. I have static LAN IP from 192.168. local class.

I have no limitations with outbound connections. Also I asked my network administrator to redirect some ports to my computer. I mean 10052-10057 tcp/udp inbound ports so when someone will connect to these ports to firewall server it will redirect connection to my windows 98SE desktop, where I play JJ2. Server is connected with ethernet card to LAN switch and to the internet side through COM port and cable modem.

I have no additional local routers to the Internet nor local firewalls on my windows box.
Also I have no problems with other Internet games.

Thank you for any help
Regards
Martin

Link
Jul 28, 2003, 09:14 AM
Well, forwarding those ports is what is needed. In fact, to join other games most people really only need 10052 UDP, because outgoing TCP connections are usually able to be made. For hosting, you need 10052 TCP as well (so other people can connect to your game). It is only if outgoing TCP connections are blocked that you need to open 10054 TCP (and again, this is only needed for hosting, to connect to the list server).

When you join a game, are you able to be in the server and see chat for about 30 seconds before timing out? Or are you not able to connect at all?

If the former is the case, there is a problem with the UDP forwarding. JJ2 sends server data, like the level file, tileset file, player list, chat, and people leaving\joining on 10052 TCP. That is also where the initial connection is made. But actual game data, like player movements, weapons, roasts, etc, is sent on 10052 UDP. So port 10052 UDP must be forwarded both ways, otherwise the user will time out after thirty seconds.

If the latter is the case, there is a problem with outgoing TCP connections.

Either way, this is really a problem you should discuss with your network administrator. The general solution is to forward ports 10052 and 10054, so if that doesn't work it is a local problem and not something we can easily help you with here.

Seriouz
Jul 30, 2003, 04:35 PM
well, i can play for about 30 seconds, and see chat and everything, and then my connection times out.

Help me after him?

KRSplat
Jul 30, 2003, 05:03 PM
When you join a game, are you able to be in the server and see chat for about 30 seconds before timing out? Or are you not able to connect at all?
He said whenever he joins a game he times out.

scatman
Aug 3, 2003, 11:01 AM
I have similar problems but only with some servers (specific ppl.)
i have my ports forwarded, (my dad owns the computer , is computer expert and doesnt even know what forwarding is so i did it myself)
my other games work well but only some servers / host's dont work.
also my own server is always pinging.

XAYo HR
Aug 3, 2003, 12:24 PM
my friend (Spann) have the self eror

spann plays 30 seconds and times out :(

blurredd
Aug 8, 2003, 12:24 PM
I opened most of the ports from 1000 to 5000 and that seemed to solve the cto problem (in an unsafe manner).

Chiyu
Aug 10, 2003, 04:58 AM
I have the timeout-after-30seconds thing too. :(

KRSplat
Aug 10, 2003, 06:40 AM
BlurredD, that goes against the point of having a firewall. You have 4000 ports open so you can play a game that is five years old and the servers are down half the time?