PDA

View Full Version : e-mail validation

FQuist
Dec 16, 2003, 04:48 AM
For J2Ov2 I was thinking to avoid all sorts of problems like invalid accounts and forgotten passwords that can't be sent because the e-mail address is not working, by requiring a <i>valid</i> e-mail address when you register of change your password. People could then choose not to publicize their e-mail address to J2O users.

However, people have complained in the past that such things shouldn't be compulsory, as some don't have e-mail accounts.

What do you think?

Link
Dec 16, 2003, 06:38 AM
I think this is a good idea. It will help stop spam and will ensure that there is a means to communicate with someone. The problem of not having an email address is present, but you could probably do manual activations for those who don't have an email address. Contacting an administrator shows that someone is committed, and is likely just as good as email validation.

FQuist
Dec 16, 2003, 07:45 AM
I think this is a good idea. It will help stop spam and will ensure that there is a means to communicate with someone. The problem of not having an email address is present, but you could probably do manual activations for those who don't have an email address. Contacting an administrator shows that someone is committed, and is likely just as good as email validation.
I like the idea of manual activations. How they'd work needs to be thought out still. As someone can't use both e-mail and, since his account is not activated yet (well, if you register, not the e-mail validation after changing one's e-mail address or password) it should probably use something like a mail form or report button.

I also thought it would be good to send out validation e-mails when someone changes his password or e-mail address. This because I'm all too familiar with people who forget their password and their e-mail address is invalid and we get to fix it for them. But with these validation e-mails it wouldn't disable their account but it would nag them in doHeader().

Trafton
Dec 16, 2003, 12:03 PM
I also think that this would be a good idea. Perhaps an initial activation should be required, but after that the email could be forget, but the original email would be left on file in case authentication was required for any purpose.

~ Traft

Haze
Dec 17, 2003, 12:52 AM
Complaints from people who <i>don't</i> have e-mail accounts? Oh please *points at Hotmail and various*, than have them get one. :mad: There are plenty of ways for them to acquire one, even <i>if</i> it were merely for usage with a single site, such as J2O.

Imho the benefits of using e-mail validation in this case far outweigh those of <i>not</i> using it. Not to mention all the problems you'd be avoiding.

Newspaz
Dec 17, 2003, 07:47 AM
Complaints from people who <i>don't</i> have e-mail accounts? Oh please *points at Hotmail and various*, than have them get one. :mad: There are plenty of ways for them to acquire one, even <i>if</i> it were merely for usage with a single site, such as J2O.

Imho the benefits of using e-mail validation in this case far outweigh those of <i>not</i> using it. Not to mention all the problems you'd be avoiding.

Well, people under 13 can't get email addresses without their parents' confirmation.

Stijn
Dec 17, 2003, 07:59 AM
They perfectly can get it, the site just wants them to ask their parents. However, I am sure most of them don't ask them at all.

Trafton
Dec 17, 2003, 09:17 AM
Well, people under 13 can't get email addresses without their parents' confirmation.
The same act that applies to these web sites applies to J2O and any site that allows communciation between users and a lot of people under 13 use. Not that this stops many people anyway. I'm sure the good outweighs the bad.

On a side note, I think that accounts already made should be immune to this, naturally.

~ Traft

Darker
Dec 18, 2003, 11:02 AM
All these kids under 13 are basicly computer nerds so ignore them. They know nothing!

Radium
Dec 18, 2003, 11:37 AM
All these kids under 13 are basicly computer nerds so ignore them. They know nothing!
Basically, you don't know anything either. Kudos on spelling "know" right, though.

Blaze The Movie Fan
Apr 10, 2004, 02:21 PM
Da man should then not be available to use private, but if we don't want our e-mail puplic we should also have "Hide e-mail"

KRSplat
Apr 10, 2004, 05:39 PM
Revival, again.

Will J2O2 have e-mail validation, though? I never realized it didn't.

By the way, I am 12. :roll: And I have a Hotmail account. (I also have a Yahoo! account. I used to have a Lycos account when I was around 7-8, but that was while it was still legal. I remember the thread about the new law called COPPA on the JMMB...)