View Single Post

JCF Member

EvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHART

Jun 4, 2007, 08:12 PM
Right, so I've been asked to post a list of things to do. Ideas have been floating around my head since like february, but this is the first time I've bothered to write anything down. I am NOT going to post a schedule yet (leave that for next month), and this list isn't complete either. I'll be adding to it. You'll notice most of my activities are fairly general things that don't require too much money to be spent.

In no particular oder:

Stanley Park
Easy to get to (it's bascially downtown), very big, lots of stuff do to. Can easily spend a day just walking around, doing whatever you do in parks. There's also an excellent aquarium located in the park, it costs money to get in though. There's probably enough here to spend 2 days, if you wanted to.

Granville Island
Located underneath a bridge, near downtown vancouver. It's a weird mix of general counterculture things, artsy places, and factories. Fun to walk around, go in all the weird stores, enjoy the street performers, and so on.

Downtown Vancouver
I would seriously advocate just dedicating a day to seeing the city itself. The downtown area is not very large geographically, since everything is so close together. There's a lot to see and do, and even the bad/infamous parts of the city aren't dangerous. A general list of things to see downtown, off the top of my head: gastown (historic street, lots of touristy stuff), chinatown, vancouver public library (not suggesting we go inside, but it's a neat area and there's a bunch of stuff around there), granville mall (outdoor mall, not a shopping mall), blah blah. There's too much stuff to list, but you get the idea. Again, more than 1 day can be spent with this.

Capilano Suspension bridge
It costs an admission fee, but it's a fun place to go in the summer. It's basically just this really big bridge over a valley, and it swings a lot and you always get these freaked out tourists who are afraid of crossing it. Lots of walking trails and stuff. There's also a thing where you can go up in the trees and walk around these platforms they put up there. Could spend half a day here.

Playland
Our local crappy amusement park. It's not great, but it's cheap. Really the main attraction of the place is the PNE, our annual fair. But that doesn't start until late august, and they jack up prices during the time when its on. It's not a very big amusement park, but it's still a good enough way to spend a day. And last time I was there, it didn't cost much at all, and lineups were virtually nonexistent. Though that might not be the case in august.

Victoria
I wouldn't recommend this, since it will take a few hours to get there (have to take a ferry). Would have to leave early, and get back late to make it worth it. It's a neat city though.

Metrotown Shopping Mall
This place is boring. It's a big shopping mall in Burnaby, which I live close to. Maybe I find it boring because I have been there so many times. But anyway, some people might like the idea of shopping or just seeing random stores, so whatever. Second biggest mall in canada, I believe.

Clubbing
Local clubs generally will not let you in unless you are 19+, so this won't work for everyone. Also "all ages clubs" are probably full of teenagers (that's what they are for!!) and would not be very fun unless you are into 15 year old girls. In any case, vancouver has a lot of good clubs, and there are always good bands in town if you want to see a show. Could probably do this one night or something, but any more than that and it will be a bit too exclusionary, since not all of us would be able to go.

My house
The thought of this makes me cringe.

Book store
Oh please, no.

Science World
Do we really need to spend another 3 hours watching iced try to be funny by reading all the french language signs at the exhibits?

Ok, that's all for now. Hopefully this will hold off trafton for about a week.