View Single Post

JCF Member

Jerrythabest is a forum legendJerrythabest is a forum legendJerrythabest is a forum legend

Aug 30, 2009, 03:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penalty View Post
Perhaps that can be implemented. Suppose you place a warp and a warp target somewhere in the level. Player 1 takes the warp and emerges at the warp target, but he doesn't move outside it. Now player B takes the same warp and emerges at the same warp target tile where player 1 is standing. Player 1 gets telefragged by player 2.
And player B === player 2, I suppose?

I like this idea too, although I'm not quite sure if this is possible. At least, we have the text for the one gun already:
Jazz roasted Spaz. Now you go figure which gun that is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IconGuy View Post
Sweet. This way it won't interfere with the chat, especially on big games like in JDC events and such. Does anyone support this idea at all?
I do. Separating chat from system messages is done in many more games.

The first one that pops into my mind is the MMORPG Yohoho! Puzzle Pirates. It has 3 chat modes to use when you're not playing any puzzle (and thus are either idling or walking around):
-Chat lines are displayed in the lower left corner. Much like JJ2. System messages are displayed as rectangular boxes in the upper left corner. They build up in diagonal lines so the window space they appear on is a triangle. Each item in either area vanishes after a few seconds.
-Same as the first mode, but chat lines will not vanish after a few seconds. Instead, the last 5 lines are shown. This also adds a scrollbar, which makes the area in which the chat lines appear practically a transparent window. (I'm not entirely sure... but if I remember correctly this mode also shows the system messages between the text lines... which would be pointless and annoying and everything as they are already showing up as boxes at the top of the screen... let's just pretend they don't show up in the chat.)
-The practically-transparent-chat-window is spread over the whole view and the system messages are shown between the chat lines. This might sound like an annoying and unusual way to display chat, but it's actually my favourite mode because it allows you to read chat way back, which can be useful if there are a lot of people talking on the same 'chat channel'. As lines usually don't get that long, there's plenty of space to the right of the chat lines.

I think all three of these are nice and could potentially be nice in JJ2+ too, if properly implemented and fine-tuned (timings, sizes, placement and stuff) to offer a good "space occupation : usefulness" ratio.

Y!PP also features a regular in-game chat window that doesn't really serve much purpose. In puzzles the chat system is built into the UI and works pretty much the same as the third chat system. Just so you know. Also, I wished there would be some kind of chat channel separation tool that hacks into Y!PP to filter all chat lines and system messages and puts them in a separated box for the channel they came from. Right now all channels blend in the chat view and you'll have to tell them apart from the artwork around it (which is pretty clear actually, but still it makes things difficult if peoples are spamming like ...)