View Single Post

JCF Éminence Grise

Violet CLM has disabled reputation

Oct 7, 2010, 07:49 PM
That's definitely an example of something that you'd need to change JJ2 for.

Let me try to shift the discussion here a little. There've been a lot of ideas, but I suspect that over the years most or all of the really good and feasible ones have already been mentioned. (And to be honest, a large percentage of those were in the very first post of the thread.) Rather than just features, what would people like to see as an interface for a new JJ2 (et al) level editor? I feel that the actual coding is no longer all that difficult.

My current idea is kind of akin to a graphics program. Any given level would have a single window, which would basically be a combination of the edit and parallax view windows in JCS, in that all the layers would be visible (and scroll at their relative speeds) but you could only edit one at a time. Some combination of popup menus, dropdown menus, and hotkeys would allow you to affect how opaque non-active layers were at any given time. You could have multiple levels open at a time, MDI-style, and there'd be a dedicated tileset window which would display the tileset for whichever level you were working on at the time. This could be docked to one side of the master window or left to float and be moved freely. There'd also be at least one other movable or dockable window for things like drawing options. Animated tiles would be a popup window selectable from the menu somewhere, but not visible all the time.