View Single Post
GoldRabbit

JCF Member

GoldRabbit is an asset to this forumGoldRabbit is an asset to this forum

Oct 18, 2010, 03:43 AM
I have read over this thread and saw many interesting ideas posted. While the "Mike-style" system degraded over time along with the overall quality of hotels, I still believe that the game-mode is not dead. Hotels can be very fun, and when a bit of passion is added into making them, there is a high chance people will love it.

I also believe that more-gameplay level hotels should have two versions. For example, you may have seen my city level which is, in a way, part of this game-mode (not advertising). What I'm doing is creating two versions of the same level, one for (possible) dedicated servers and one for the situation in which the host (or admins) are active. Seeing as timed trigger commands haven't been introduced yet, it is still impossible for triggers to be activated each hour/half an hour etc.

Tests are not necessarily what makes a level of this genre fun to play. Go play test levels for that. People cannot just slap in some tests under a certain cover (police tests etc.), add a few rooms then call it a hotel. Hotels are supposed to be diverse, featuring a wide range of things to do you wouldn't find anywhere else. Why not think more about the selection of activities you want your level to feature?

First, lay out a generic plan of the things you want to do. After you have finished the basic outline of the activity, think of the place where it would fit best. For example, where would a trigger mission fit? How about a maze one? This is the path to a good level. Then struggle to add eyecandy.

Of course, creativeness matters too, so have a go at that too! Good luck to Sean and whoever else is currently making a hotel, and let's hope your level turns out great!
because everybody plays the game this way

saints especially