View Single Post
minmay

JCF Member

minmay is immeasurably awesomeminmay is immeasurably awesomeminmay is immeasurably awesomeminmay is immeasurably awesomeminmay is immeasurably awesome

Jan 12, 2011, 04:49 PM
I started typing an explanation that radar had purposes besides locating aircraft to be shot down but then I realized you were referring to a cheat program called "radar."

Anyway, I don't think very many people would say that programs designed solely for cheating are a good thing to have around, though I can see the rationale for allowing them to be uploaded to J2O. The discussion is about programs that can be used for cheating but also have other purposes: higher resolutions are good-looking and can be useful for taking large-scale screenshots, a program that bypasses JCS passwords can get you back in to your own level you locked yourself out of. Even JJ2+ could be considered a cheating program since it gives players using it a few advantages such as the local seeker hole fix.
You have to decide on a cut-off. I personally think that people shouldn't have to go to a lot of trouble to get something they might need, so I think that anything with a non-cheating purpose should be allowed on J2O. People who really want to cheat will cheat anyway, and it's trivial to get rid of cheaters.

Note that I do not play competitively and I have never used non-standard resolutions in multiplayer. I did use cheat programs a lot at one point (at least seven years ago), but I don't recall ever doing so without the host's approval.