View Single Post
Nightshade

JCF Member

Nightshade is doing well so far

Dec 4, 2002, 11:25 AM
Red face

Believe it, buddy.

Just for you, because you replied.

Jassiv sat, slumped in the Starblown's pilot seat, numb with shock. His vessel sat in the smoldering ruins of the shuttle pound on Keenrei. The Soldier of Fortune orbited above the planet, and the Venomstrike, Beren's personal flagship, hung in space quite a distance away.
He sighed and exited his ship, harboring no hope that he would find anyone alive. Climbing over the alternately freezing and smoking rubble, he watched for any sign of life.
Through a shroud of smoke, a dark shape was blurred by the rapidly dissipating heat. Scrambling across the rubble, Jassiv finally made out the shape - it was Slade's personal covered, armored skimmer. The roof was half crushed, one engine torn off, but Jassiv knew with a surge of relief that Slade would have sheltered in the transport. Still, it could be a trap. And it was Beren's style to do just that ...
Drawing his blaster, Jazziv moved cautiously and quietly towards Slade's skimmer. Peering in through the fire-darkened glass, he saw nothing -
A crunch behind him made him freeze, then he drew himself upright very slowly. Of course, the activated vibroblade that shivered dangerously at the base of his neck might have had something to do with that.
"Turn around slowly," Slade's familiar voice, hard and brittle as glass and as cold as ice, filled Jassiv's elated ears. Still, he obeyed.
Slade immediately released him, joy and surprise passing over his face as swiftly as the fleeting song of the Fluters.
"Jass ... why'd you return? Keenrei is destroyed. Icei is nothing but ruins and memory, and Fort Icicle is much the same. Very little remains for you here."
"I came back for you guys. Where's Iceshadow and Yastam? How'd you get away? Beren's still up there ..."
"I know. Deathless Ones have been haunting the ruins, but I've managed to avoid them."
"Where's Yastam and Iceshadow?"
"I don't really know," Slade said, avoiding his eyes. The violet rabbit looked haunted, his eyes shadowed by the emotional and physical scars he had sustained. He would never be the same again. "Yastam left with the trader's train the week before the attack, and I really haven't seen Iceshadow since you left. He keeps to himself mostly."
"He always did. Do you think Yastam made it?"
"I cannot tell. There's a chance, but not much of one ... Beren is very thorough."
"I can check," Jass offered. "The Starblown is in good shape."
"Would you?" his friend brightened perceptibly.
"Sure," he promised. "I'll even take you with me."
"Thank you," Slade said emphatically.

They traced the trader's route, though Jassiv knew that the route took many days to complete on foot. The Starblown's life scanners were running at full power, and after a few hours of slow flying they found the survivors of the traders.
Jassiv had never been so happy to see anyone as he was to see Yastam and his wife, Tarrol. The pair were accompanied by five other traders, and had been living in snow-huts they had made, camoflaging them from Beren's soldiers (who evidentally had not thought of life-scanners). They were in good cheer at Jassiv's arrival, but declined his offer of a lift.
"Nah," Yastam said. He was hardly older than Jass, but had been doing the trade route for several years. "We'll press on to Ireina, see what we can do there. Who knows, maybe they're still standing. We can offer a hand. Thanks for the help, the supplies you gave us'll take us there. Go find out if Iceshadow's still alive. He may be hiding out in the mountains."
"Thanks, Yastam. Take care."

Maybe I'll *coughs* dedicate another part to the next person who replies.
"I can do all things through Christ whom strengthens me." ~Phillipians 4:13

"Whatever." ~Coppertop

There's a fine line between Good and Evil. . .

read Conquests to find out why.

"Only Death keeps a secret. . . ."
-Zazz Darkfist