Thread: Project Carrot
View Single Post
Soulweaver

JCF Member

Soulweaver is an asset to this forum

May 24, 2013, 02:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Ementaler View Post
I... might sound somewhat harsh. I admit I dislike it when people admire another community member for creating another level previewer, again. Hopefully you realize this thing here is little more than a level previewer. Collision detection is no philosophy and everything else will have to be completely rewritten later on if you want it to work like JJ2. So yeah, I consider it hard to be excited about this so far and I'm just bothered by apparent lack of common sense in this thread, no offense to anybody.

I know this is not quite a constructive message and I was holding myself back from posting it until now. I'll try to compensate it with an honest offer to help; I consider myself familiar with a good number of quirks of JJ2, most of which you should learn if you want to replicate its mechanics correctly. Also, although you're obviously not coding the game in it, judging by your signature you may be interested in a piece of GML code I'm coincidentally in possession of that draws what pictured below, if just for reference. Use PMs.

Click to view in full size, didn't want to stretch the page.
Point taken, though I honestly don't know what you expected this thread to contain I'm not here to show off a completed game but a prototype. I'm not very sure what you mean by the rewriting point either - while I am going after the mechanics of the JJ2 engine, I am certainly not rewriting a JJ2 engine on structural or any other level. The "correctness" of mechanics isn't completely black and white; what is a bug to one might be a feature to someone else. While I strive to replicate the game behavior closely, I won't be throwing deliberate mistakes or unnecessarily complicated special cases into my code just to make it a 100% clone.

I expect the demo you just put up there was also written in GML; bear in mind that Game Maker provides the whole framework for handling sprites, drawing and different events built-in, while I've built my own engine that implements most of that stuff from the ground up all by myself. The way objects are handled in GML (basically almost nonexistent encapsulation) and preferred use of globals also simplifies things a lot.

Of course I could've started writing this in some game-centric engine like Game Maker or Stencyl but I wanted to use a more mainstream language to 1) learn C++ better, 2) make it easier for, erm, people with a better mindset to contribute later on, 3) not be too environment dependent (Qt, SFML, BASS all should work just fine in both Win, Mac and Linux). So, because of that decision, I'm required to write a lot more code that is specific to the engine but not necessarily the JJ2 experience. The TileMap class, which contains pretty much all tileset and layer handling (i.e. the core part of what would be a level previewer), doesn't even cover a fifth of the codebase

As for the textured background algorithm, I might be interested later; implementing it now is not a high priority so I'll PM you when it becomes topical (unless I decide to write it myself).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet CLM View Post
guys this is the STUPIDEST FIGHT

you BOTH are good at doing stuff and have promising projects should you care to continue developing them and we're proud of BOTH OF YOU and it's perfectly all right to have competing projects (I've done one! I think I kinda lost.) without being NASTY about it

don't make me call this a bunny game, the JCF censors it so it's kind of difficult to do so
I'm not much into fighting either, and I don't think I've been fighting at all at this point yet I also don't have any problem if someone else decides to start a separate project; if anything, that shows JJ2 still has enough appeal for multiple projects to appear.

As for the lack of new bullet points under the link in the OP, I've been busy with the exams for the last two weeks but I hope to get back into writing code next week (Though pauses in general shouldn't be taken as signs of abandonment, I do have other things in my life going on as well )

Last edited by Soulweaver; May 24, 2013 at 02:44 AM.