View Single Post

JCF Member

Hare has disabled reputation

Dec 12, 2003, 09:19 PM
Game Creation Utilities

Alrighty, this thread is basically just to tell some people about some game creation sources available, and stuff. So if anyone is interested in making a game, perhaps this may be of at least some help.

I was at the book store and picked up a new magazine called Game Maker.

It has a DVD with a whole load of junk, mainly MODS and add-ons to a couple games, but they have some nice utilities too. It also includes the full vesion of The Games Factory Pro, so just in case anyone was wanting that program, it comes with the magazine that only costs about 14 dollars (US). Well, yeah, I know, 14 dollars is a rediculous price for a magazine, but I dunno, I found it worthwhile.

Oh yeah, and if anyone is interested and looks it up, I'll have to let you know that the list of content written on the DVD is written in sections. There's a Trial Versions section, and then there is another section among the others called "Utilities". Now, there's some very nice apps listed in the utilities, and had me wondering if some of those apps were really supposed to be listed in a Trial Versions section. Well, yup, most of the utilites are trial programs, but some are full versions. There's one called the "Scrolling Game Development Kit" that is kind of nice. You can take your JJ2 tilesets and import them into it (the bitmaps, not the .j2t files). Well, you don't really need to buy the magazine for this one, as it is freeware.

http://gamedev.sourceforge.net/

It looks like it has potential, if someone was to take the time to give their game some good scripting, but anyone who is interested can decide for themselves.

Uhm, oh yeah, and if anyone wants a copy of the mag, I got mine at Barnes and Noble. It was at Borders, too.

Well as long as it is on the subject, I'll just make this a Game Creation Utilities topic. So if anyone has any utilities that they reccommend, they can post them here.

"Okay. I'm Understand" - burnout92