View Single Post

JCF Member

blurredd is an asset to this forumblurredd is an asset to this forum

Mar 21, 2009, 02:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilMike View Post
There's stuff in that post I made 4 years ago that I'd say differently today, but on the point of pepper spray I still think it's useful. RFs are usually better, but in a level with a lot of long, flat corridors, pepper spray tends to work better than RFs as a chasing weapon, due to its range and speed. For situations other than chasing its a pretty useless (and actually slow) weapon though. Its one of the more specialized weapons in the game.
Too specialized for my tastes, though I still may use it as filler ammo in future levels, even though filler ammo is a lack of effort on my part. I often don't think of what is the most ideal ammo and powerup selection for the level I'm building and instead go with the weapons I like to use the most or simply include every type of weapon. Now I realize there's nothing wrong with including the same powerup multiple times and maybe I don't need to include seeker or pepper spray ammo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilMike View Post
As for carrots, a battle level with 10 carrots is probably going to be a slow and tedious duel. But I think a decent amount is still a very good idea... certainly more than 1 or 2. It depends on the size of the level really. Also, respawn time is a good thing to consider: I think with carrots, faster is probably better. 15 or 20 secs.
I can't say this for sure since it's my impression from reading comments from duels, but a longer respawn time may actually be better for some levels. Quickz made Sandstone Ruins - Lite, and it appears to play faster for duels when he changed the carrot respawn times from 20 seconds to 30 seconds. The change was needed probably because of all the safe routes and the larger playing area compared to levels like Abandoned Robotics Factory and EvilMike's Evil Fortress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnarok View Post
I'm beginning to shy away from this whole idea altogether now. Personally, I think powerups should be easy to get, as that adds to the whole fun of it, rather than making it frustrating. I'm beginning to stop placing powerups in walls now, unless there is a way of getting it both manually and cleverly with electro blasters.

While I also encourage usage of the entire level, I really think if you want to place a powerup in the wall, place the way of getting it nearby (in this case EBs), because that way it's less annoying. Another really annoying thing is when you see the powerup and think, "ooh I should get that." So then you make all the effort to run along and get the gun, and then you come back and it's gone. While one can argue that you should have gotten the EBs in the first place, it's still kinda less fun, or even so, if there's only one place with EBs, someone can just be annoying and camp it just to spite people who want the powerup or something. Okay, call me random and a bit crazy but still.
There shouldn't be a major camping problem if a powerup is only accessible by EBs located in one spot of the level. And even if there is, just make multiple areas containing EBs. Players attempting to hog ammo and powerups tend to follow a predictable pattern anyway. Personally I don't find not having EBs when I see a powerup in a wall frustrating enough to want to use this combination less often. I find it more frustrating when I never get a powerup because it's too accessible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnarok View Post
Another really annoying thing is that you only get +20 of the powerup if you get it from the wall, and if you already have the gun, it's not even any more. I find this, in most levels, to be a rediculously low amount of ammo to be able to barrage enough to do something useful. Yeah, I may waste my ammo, but I think it's more fun that way too.
I find not always getting +20 ammo fairly annoying myself, and I have no problem making this a permanent fix in JJ2+ when Plus Only is on, assuming no one minds.

Anyway, if the level is designed well, you shouldn't be accidentally getting ammo you don't want. This is why I usually try to make ammo easily avoidable such as by not putting it directly on the ground and requiring players to jump to get it.
ATB Contest. Scripting Language.
Gameplay Theories.
1UP. Pitfall. Desolation.
SC2.